PDA

View Full Version : Couple Questions

09-14-2002, 06:54 AM
1. Wondering if I should ever show my hand down when I do not have to. One of my poker comrades never shows hands cause he says there is absolutely no point in it. I tend to show my tough folds and massive draw misses. Not sure why....maybe I secretly want the table to feel sorry for me. But anyways, any answers on this one?

2. I'm generally a very tight player but sometimes when I get a little tilty (rarely) I play hands out of position that I KNOW I should not. Hands like small/medium pocket pair from early and Axs from middle. This perturbs me greatly and I was wondering if it would be wise to simply look at first card when i'm in early and middle, and if it's crappy just toss the hand. If it's a nice high card, see the second one. Again my poker comrade seems to think this is absurd by I think it really may help me. Any input? Do any of you guys ever do this?

Thanks a ton guys,
PokerPrince

afish
09-14-2002, 07:09 AM
1. This is a matter of style. I hate the guys who spend a minute staring at their hand trying to figure out what they have on the end. My rule is, "When in doubt, just show it." After all, when a player stares and then mucks, he's giving up the fact that he was on some sort of a draw. Also, if it is my turn to show, I don't hold back hoping to get a later player to show first. Keep the game moving.

2. I think you should read these forums and HPFAP a little more. There are plenty of spots in loose games where you should play any pair in any position and Axs in middle position. I'm not saying that you are playing correctly, but these hands are not auto-mucks, particulary in a loose game.

09-14-2002, 10:53 AM
1. I think you can make an argument for showing some hands, ie the table is friendly and loose and you want to keep it that way. For instance, if you get KK, play it strong, and lose to AQ when the guy catches an A on the river, you can show this hand in that type of game. Observant opponents would be able to deduce your hand anyways, and if you "keep it fun", ie show the kings, sincerely say something like "damn that was a close one, too bad the ace came" or some such, it's probably to your benefit. Similar arguments can be made for hands that you played unusually- showing might keep em guessing.

That being said, I would NEVER show tough laydowns. If you do this, you're just encouraging people to take shots at you. You don't want to be pegged as the only person at the table who can make a massive laydown. It's much better to show a loose call you made in this regard.

2. Again, you don't want to known as a rock. Looking at that first card only and making the decision then implies you would be playing the same way all the time, ie "tight". If, for instance, you're in a loose aggressive game, 77 might be playable up front. The same hand might be tossed no question or even RAISED with in another game. The point is, you should be making an adjustment based on the game you're playing in. A cookie cutter method of starting hands that has no flexibility won't work with semi tough competition- and that's all that looking at that first card only will do for you.

The reality of these situations, as with many things in poker is there's no one right answer. Hope this helps you figure out what's right for you, though. GL

Leon

Ginogino
09-14-2002, 02:15 PM
1. Have you tried to put your opponents on hands based on their betting? If so, you've perhaps noted that it is harder to do when you don't see the majority of the hands they play (they muck losers without showing them or they win without a showdown). Don't make it easy for them to read your hands.
2. When you go on tilt (and recognize it), get up from the table and walk around until the feeling passes. Let the others make mistakes when tilting.

Coilean
09-14-2002, 02:48 PM
1. Never ever show your hand unless you have to. You will lose the information war.

2. Never ever play on tilt. Just go home.

astroglide
09-14-2002, 04:07 PM
i think a person is better off playing flat out terribly preflop (e.g. 95s) than playing 'a little off' (e.g. a9o to a raise). the threat of domination is infinitely higher in the ace and king range - at least when t4s gets hit you can actually win.