PDA

View Full Version : Being on tilt

Insomnia
02-28-2005, 12:22 AM
How do you guys pull yourself out of a session where you were on tilt? Recently ive had a week with bad plays and bad beats that have most likely effected my game.
Any suggestions on how to forget about all the bad plays and get back to good poker?

ZebraAss
02-28-2005, 12:31 AM
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/numa.php

elonkra
02-28-2005, 12:32 AM
I usually find that when I'm tilting, it isn't so much because of bad luck as it is because of something I'm doing wrong. Typically, I pick up a bad habit, negative results follow, and then I think I'm on tilt for a stretch when I'm not winning. Inevitably, and almost always after I tweak some part of my game, I start winning again. The only advice I have is to relax and play disciplined poker w/o regard to the bad streak you're on--i.e., don't let your luck change the way you know you should be playing. If you're doing the right things, it'll all turn around. If you're not, things won't turn around and you've got more serious problems than tilt that you must work on.

That's this rookie's advice, anyway.

Insomnia
02-28-2005, 12:40 AM
I play in a game where alot of the players have little to no problem putting all there chips in on a complete bluff, with little to no outs. Before this trend began i was playing quite well, but this i think is the reason i have fallen on tilt. is there any solid strategy to counter this type of play.

Mr_J
02-28-2005, 12:41 AM
I've been having a pretty awful fortnight myself (a 25 buy-in drop and a 20 buy-in drop).

"Any suggestions on how to forget about all the bad plays and get back to good poker?"

Either time off, or play through it. If you are very diciplined (basically tilt free), playing through it is a decent option. If you feel like you might tilt, then take time off.

Tilt doesn't worry me but burning out does. If poker is getting too frustrating I'll leave it for a day or 2.

Earlier on I also found going back to just one sng at a time can relieve frustration (don't do this anymore though).

Burg
02-28-2005, 12:44 AM
When I find myself on tilt, it's usually because I misplayed a hand. If that's the case and i'm steaming, i'll quit for the day, and sometimes the next. If i'm not steaming, or I can see a quick adjustment, i'll try to figure out what my opponent might act like toward me now that i've made this play, and adjust accordingly. In general, if i've had a bad day, i'll quit and come read these forums or eat. Those can reset my mood, because I feel good about trying to help others get better at the game. When I get the itch again to play and I'm in a better mood, I go back.

But beware! Each person is different when it comes to going on tilt, but i've yet to meet one who buys back in and has the best day of his year. Find some way to reset your mood...