PDA

View Full Version : Interesting better

Burg
02-28-2005, 12:01 AM
I've been playing for about a year, and I try to play tight and agg. I was recently outplayed by a player who bet in a uncommon, yet seemingly successful betting strategy. I need some help figuring out how I can defeat this strategy. The hand that follows is a hand that i'm not proud of, and I know that I played it poorly. However, I would like to learn from it, and so I open myself to any constructive criticism that can be given. Keep in mind that I'm trying to gain information about not only my play, but the play of my opponent, and whether or not I can learn from his strategy and possibly incorporate something if I need to. I'm especially interested in talking to someone who might play in this way now, or has in the past. Please help!

NL Hold'em $11 Buy-in + $1 Entry Fee Trny: Level:5 Blinds(100/200) - Sunday, February 27, 20:40:23 EDT 2005
Table Step 1 # (Real Money)
Seat 2 is the button
Total number of players : 3
Seat 2: m( $1690 )
Seat 5: jburg( $3360 )
Seat 7: c ( $2950 )
Trny: Level:5
Blinds(100/200)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to jburg[ Kc 9h ]
m folds.
jburg calls [100].
c raises [200].
jburg calls [200].
** Dealing Flop ** [ 4h, 2s, 7h ]
jburg checks.
c bets [200].
jburg raises [500].
c calls [300].
** Dealing Turn ** [ 5c ]
jburg bets [800].
c calls [800].
** Dealing River ** [ Ts ]
jburg checks.
c is all-In [1250]
jburg folds.
c does not show cards.
c wins 4650 chips

This player "c" seems to often call a 3 or 4x big blind raise from either blind. The interesting part to me is that he immediately bets out on the flop the minimum amount. If raised, he calls, then bets out minimum again on the next street. I've seen him give up a couple of pots to an all in bet, but he ends up outplaying his opponents (including me) in most circumstances. I've tried calling to the end with second pair and he beat me with top pair jacks and an Ace kicker.
What should my defense to this be, or offense for that matter? When I raise 3 or 4x the bb (as I often do, but did not in this case) and get called from the small blind by a loose player, I hate to give up the pot for one small bet, but I also hate to call and not know where he stands. I end up raising and trying to play the hand out from there after I get some information.

PLEASE HELP!

Burg
02-28-2005, 12:38 AM
someone??? Anyone???

spentrent
02-28-2005, 12:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
someone??? Anyone???

[/ QUOTE ]

The converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi) is your friend. It GUARANTEES a reply.

Allinlife
02-28-2005, 01:03 AM
converter messes up quite often...or is that just on my computer?

spentrent
02-28-2005, 01:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
converter messes up quite often...or is that just on my computer?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. I didn't notice the all-in in the OP. I've noticed the converter smoking crack when there's an all-in bet.

Considering dusting off the old Perl/PHP skills to make a new one....

FishBurger
02-28-2005, 01:45 AM
You had no pair, no draw, and king high with 9 kicker after the flop. What was your plan? I probably would have folded preflop. You have a lot of chips and a marginal hand that didn't improve after the flop.

Burg
02-28-2005, 04:40 AM
I'm a new poster, i'll look into using the converter. Also, I understand that I played the hand poorly. I'm looking for advice on how to combat this type of a player, also information on why he would maybe bet this way consistently.

se2schul
02-28-2005, 10:09 AM
You know he'll call a large raise preflop, bet the flop and call if raised on the flop.

How would I handle such a player? I'd tighten up a bit preflop. When you have a strong preflop holding, (not K9, but say TT-AA, AK, AQ) raise and let him make a mistake by calling. If you think you're ahead on the flop, I'd push the flop or the turn.

As for this specific hand, you know that he calls a raise on the flop, so why would you raise the flop when you have nothing unless you plan on pushing the turn? Personally, when my K9 missed the flop I would've pushed or completely shut down. Your small bets are just inviting him to come overtop of you and take the pot, as he does uncontested on the river.

Summary:
You don't have anything after the flop and you know that stabbing at this pot will only be called. You have 2 options, push or check/fold, but certainly not bet.
Tighten up preflop against such a calling station. You can take his chips, but not by making him fold with small bets. Take his chips when you have the best of it. Push preflop or on the flop with the better hand and let him make the mistake by calling you.

Steve