PDA

View Full Version : what do you guys use to keep track of SNG's?

dmaster
02-27-2005, 09:56 PM
I'm using Full Tilt, so I can't use PT.

I'd still like to keep track of what I'm doing in SnG play, discounting the first 40-50 I've done so far I suppose (unless there's a way to get my results from everything I've done to date).

Is there something useful to keep track of things with, or am I just well enough off making a spreadsheet and plotting things manually with regards to bankroll and ROI and all that stuff? I don't necessarily care to know how many times I've been busted with AA or taken down a pot with 67s or anything fancy, but I wouldn't mind being able to track opponents I play against and remember where they finished in previous games. I assume that's nearly impossible with FTP at the moment though, right?

anything nice would be appreciated otherwise I'll just do it the hard way I suppose.

spentrent
02-27-2005, 10:02 PM
Find the latest version of AleoMagus' BRILLIANT spreadsheet with Marcotte's SCHWEET input in this thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=1357343 &fpart=&PHPSESSID=). I think the one with the cool input code is referred to in the "version 3.0" post. You will have to poke around a bit to find it.

ilya
02-27-2005, 10:05 PM
I use Wordpad. I like it.

yanicehand
02-27-2005, 11:02 PM
definitely check out AleoMagus' spreadsheet.
practically everything one would need to track progress, improvement, variance, roi, profit, itm, ror, and also the most mundane details you will ever need. only downside is you will infact have to input your own results from the SNGs, including time, date, and outcome, but this really isnt a downside at all. download it immediately.

matt

elonkra
02-27-2005, 11:41 PM
I'm having some trouble with Aleomagus's spreadsheet. How do I know if I have the program necessary to support it? I have WinZip and when I download the spreadsheet from the linked page, some sort of spreadsheet appears with what appears to be a FAQ relating to the spreadsheet you're talking about. But I'm a computer illiterate idiot who can't figure out how to get from there to the point at which I begin using the spreadsheet to track my results. I've tried playing around with the toolbar commands, but when I select "File" and "Open file for editing," my computer asks me what program I want to use to open the file with. Any ideas?

spentrent
02-27-2005, 11:51 PM
If it is indeed opening up in Excel, check the bottom of the screen. A half-inch or so above the "Start" button you'll see little "tabs" that read "Marcotte's Changes," "Readme," "SNG1," etc.

If you are playing $10+1 games, click on the SNG1 tab.

It will start to make sense, I hope...

(Not to complicate your life, /images/graemlins/wink.gif, but it helps to change the "Base Buy-in" and "Vigourish" to 0 -- zero -- on each SNGx tab you're not using)

1C5
02-27-2005, 11:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

(Not to complicate your life, /images/graemlins/wink.gif, but it helps to change the "Base Buy-in" and "Vigourish" to 0 -- zero -- on each SNGx tab you're not using)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for that tip!

spentrent
02-28-2005, 12:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for that tip!

[/ QUOTE ]

Feels good to have the MONEY stats accurate, don't it? I had to call McGyver to figure out that work-around.

dfscott
02-28-2005, 12:11 AM
I had no idea this existed -- thanks. I was still using the original from way back when.

spentrent
02-28-2005, 12:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I had no idea this existed -- thanks. I was still using the original from way back when.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have that thread pinned as a favorite. Just in case...

AA suited
02-28-2005, 01:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
definitely check out AleoMagus' spreadsheet.
practically everything one would need to track progress, improvement, variance, roi, profit, itm, ror, and also the most mundane details you will ever need. only downside is you will infact have to input your own results from the SNGs, including time, date, and outcome, but this really isnt a downside at all. download it immediately.

matt

[/ QUOTE ]

Aleo's spreadsheet does all that?! going to try it then. oh man..i can just see a flood of posts (by me) about the spreadsheet in the upcoming days /images/graemlins/blush.gif

jalsing
02-28-2005, 02:47 PM
Perhaps check out pokercharts.com. They are moving to a subscription based service, so I opted to move to my own MySQL database to serve the same purpose, but they had the opponents option you referred to as well...

TStokes
02-28-2005, 03:44 PM
I have a few questions about using the spreadsheet.
1- Do I need to enable macros? it asks me this when I first open up the spreadsheet.
2- How exactly do I work this spreadsheet? I am using partypoker. Do I need to ask for the history of the tournament after I finish a SNG and then copy that data into the spreadsheet?
if anyone could help me out I would appreciate it.

spentrent
02-28-2005, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1- Do I need to enable macros? it asks me this when I first open up the spreadsheet.
2- How exactly do I work this spreadsheet? I am using partypoker. Do I need to ask for the history of the tournament after I finish a SNG and then copy that data into the spreadsheet?

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Yes, enable macros. This allows you to use the cool input interface Marcotte wrote.

2) This spreadsheet has nothing to do with hand histories.

The data it asks you to input are:

- Date (day you played this tourney)
- Start Time (time you started this tourney)
- Finish (what place you finished in, like 1, 2, 3, 10)
- Duration (how many minutes the tourney lasted)

When you do (1) Enable Macros, you're allowing Excel to use Marcotte's cool input stuff that takes some of the drudgery out of adding data.

Input Example

Let's say you're playing the $10+1 tourneys.

(1) Click on the SNG1 tab
(2) Click that big fat button that says "Start Recording Tournaments"
(3) Click "Start New"
(4) On choose the game you're playing, in this case, click the "$10+1" button

You can repeat steps 3 and 4 7 more times if you are playing 8 tourneys at once.

(5) When a tournament ends, click "End Existing"
(6) Type in the number game you've completed -- if you only played 1 game, this would be 1
(7) Now type in the place you finished
(8) When you are done playing a set of tournaments, click "Exit"

The sheet will automatically fill in the Date, Time, Finish, and Duration. See your stats for SNG1 by going into the STATS1 tab.

"Money" Tab Hint

Suppose you ONLY play $10+1 tournaments. In the spreadsheets current version, the "Money" tab will show incorrect data for your total amount.

(1) Go to the SNG2 tab
(2) Change the amounts in D5 and D6 to 0 (that's a zero)
(3) Do the same for SNG3, SNG4, SNG5

Playing at a site like Poker Stars or UB?

Poker Stars tournaments only have 9 players. If you want SNG1 to reflect your performance on Stars, change D7 to 9.

Playing the $5 games?

(1) Go to the SNG1 tab (or whichever you want to hold your $5 data)
(2) Change D5 to 5
(3) If you're playing at a site where the vig is 50 cents, change D6 to .50

I hope that helps you get started. Shameless plug: http://www.saabpo.com /images/graemlins/wink.gif

TStokes
02-28-2005, 04:21 PM
spentrent thanks a lot for the reply I was just wondering if you could help me with the enabling of macros? im not exactly sure how to do that

spentrent
02-28-2005, 04:27 PM
In Excel,

(1) Go to Tools -> Macro -> Security...
(2) Choose Medium
(3) Click OK

The next time you open the spreadsheet it will ask you if you want to enable macros.

WARNING: Do NOT set security to "Low" under any circumstances. You should only enable macros in spreadsheets from trusted sources.

dfscott
02-28-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Yes, enable macros. This allows you to use the cool input interface Marcotte wrote.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmmm... I must've d/l'ed the wrong flavor -- the one I found (super.xls) didn't have any macros. It says it's a "trial version". Can someone post or PM the location of the macro version?

spentrent
02-28-2005, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hmmmm... I must've d/l'ed the wrong flavor -- the one I found (super.xls) didn't have any macros. It says it's a "trial version". Can someone post or PM the location of the macro version?

[/ QUOTE ]

Poke around that thread until you find SUPERSNGwUI.zip

Maybe post the link here when you find it?

TStokes
02-28-2005, 04:32 PM
thanks again for the help

dfscott
02-28-2005, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Poke around that thread until you find SUPERSNGwUI.zip

Maybe post the link here when you find it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, it is in that thread, but confusingly, it's not the latest link posted in the thread.

I also found it in this thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=1518248 &Forum=f22&Words=SUPERSNGwUI.zip&Searchpage=0&Limi t=25&Main=1514831&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=& daterange=1&newerval=6&newertype=m&olderval=&older type=&bodyprev=#Post1518248) which is much shorter and easier to navigate, so I'm posting that one instead.

TStokes
02-28-2005, 09:33 PM
one more question when I first downloaded the file and went into it there appears to be results for tournies from the previous user I was wondering how I could clear all this info to start with a clean slate?

Slim Pickens
02-28-2005, 10:24 PM
Highlight the offending cells (in columns C, E, F, and G below row 12) and press DELETE. Make sure you don't clear anything in columns B or D. Only change cells with grey backgrounds.

Slim

TStokes
02-28-2005, 10:48 PM
thank you

TStokes
02-28-2005, 11:59 PM
one more question if I want to track stats on a different site where the tournies are 5.50 would I just change one of the tabs to a 5.50 one?

Slim Pickens
03-01-2005, 12:54 AM
Change D5 to "5" and D6 to "0.5"

elonkra
03-01-2005, 01:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Highlight the offending cells (in columns C, E, F, and G below row 12) and press DELETE. Make sure you don't clear anything in columns B or D. Only change cells with grey backgrounds.

Slim

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I'm having problems.

I've managed to open the spreadsheet, but I don't know how to highlight offending cells. I can click on (select/highlight) any given cell, but none are grey, and when I try to delete or overwrite the information within a given cell, nothing happens. How do I input my info?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited to reflect the fact that I do not know what excel is or how to find it and, as such, I haven't followed the "enable macros" steps discussed above (I don't know what a macro is either, for what it's worth), in case this is the source of my problem (I'm guessing it's not though, since I am able to see the spreadsheet).

Slim Pickens
03-01-2005, 01:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't followed the "enable macros" steps discussed above (I don't know what a macro is either, for what it's worth)

[/ QUOTE ]
Forget the macros. You don't need them for the basic function of the spreadsheet. Whew! One problem down.

[ QUOTE ]
I've managed to open the spreadsheet, but I don't know how to highlight offending cells. I can click on (select/highlight) any given cell, but none are grey, and when I try to delete or overwrite the information within a given cell, nothing happens. How do I input my info?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmm... OK first make sure you're in one of the "SNGx" tabs. Those are where you input your data. I suspect you may be in one of the "STATSx" tabs, which is why you don't see any grey cells.

Hope this helps. If not, PM me and I'll see what else I can do.

Slim

The Yugoslavian
03-01-2005, 04:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm using Full Tilt, so I can't use PT.

I'd still like to keep track of what I'm doing in SnG play, discounting the first 40-50 I've done so far I suppose (unless there's a way to get my results from everything I've done to date).

Is there something useful to keep track of things with, or am I just well enough off making a spreadsheet and plotting things manually with regards to bankroll and ROI and all that stuff? I don't necessarily care to know how many times I've been busted with AA or taken down a pot with 67s or anything fancy, but I wouldn't mind being able to track opponents I play against and remember where they finished in previous games. I assume that's nearly impossible with FTP at the moment though, right?

anything nice would be appreciated otherwise I'll just do it the hard way I suppose.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just get high and play.

Records are for sissies.

Yugoslav
(oh wait....that's not me...that's someone else....ugh, I keep forgetting)

elonkra
03-01-2005, 11:53 PM
I'm having some problems.

I don't have Microsoft Excel, so I downloaded some free/shareware, and although my computer is relatively fast, it takes forever for me to open and alter this 8.4MB spreadsheet. Does anyone have a lighter/smaller version of this or some other SNG statkeeper?

burningyen
03-02-2005, 01:35 AM
I'm not as interested in tracking all the stats that AleoMagus' spreadsheet tracks, so I cobbled this together for my own use for SnGs and MTTs:

link (http://home.earthlink.net/~burningyen2/images/Poker-public.xls)

Hillbilly Cat
03-02-2005, 09:49 AM
Do you just mean statistical tracking? If so I can't help but...

if your looking for something to takes notes about your play, the opponents, your mistakes, theory etc.. something to use to help you analyse your thinking, not just your results then this might be worth a try..

Mind Manager X5 Pro, (www.mindjet.com I think).

Its great software, with infinite applications. If your already familiar with mind mapping so much the better, but if not you might want to pick up a copy of The Mind Map Book, Tony Buzan..

Simple, enlightening, brilliant. I've used it over the years for all forms of study and business and it really works. I'm using it for poker now, and it helps me no end. In particular I've been able to digest a lot of sometimes tricky material in record time..

Just a thought....

burningyen
03-02-2005, 06:16 PM
I assume you were replying to the original poster and not to me.

skipperbob
03-02-2005, 06:56 PM
Getting "High" is for sissies...Take some major downers then play; now that's for real men /images/graemlins/grin.gif Better yet, take 3 ludes, then play, then hump the coffee table /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

The Yugoslavian
03-02-2005, 07:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Getting "High" is for sissies...Take some major downers then play; now that's for real men /images/graemlins/grin.gif Better yet, take 3 ludes, then play, then hump the coffee table /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes, remember not to let me get talked into playing at a live table with you! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yugoslav