PDA

View Full Version : Oscars = suck

ClaytonN
02-27-2005, 09:41 PM
I usually love Chris Rock, but so far this blows. Hard.

Sponger15SB
02-27-2005, 09:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? I thought it was [censored] hilarious

ClaytonN
02-27-2005, 09:46 PM
Dude, I didn't laugh once. Maybe it's just me?

mikeyvegas
02-27-2005, 09:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more.

ClaytonN
02-27-2005, 09:52 PM
Okay, Freeman won an oscar, so there is justice in the world

pshreck
02-27-2005, 09:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dude, I didn't laugh once. Maybe it's just me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, it wasnt that funny. Chris Rock is funnier than Billy Crystal, but I think Crystal does a much better opening for the Oscars.

Anyone else find it amusing that there were a ton of black jokes, and there was basically a sea of white people laughing at them? Kind of funny. (Im not offended, just thought this was amusing).

MelK
02-27-2005, 09:54 PM
Gwyneth.......yum

http://us.ent4.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/oscars/74th_academy_awards_arrivals_photos/gwyneth_paltrow/oscars2.jpg

istewart
02-27-2005, 09:55 PM
Paltrow looks like a bad Heidi Klum. Still hot /images/graemlins/smile.gif

dsm
02-27-2005, 09:56 PM
They should have gone with Dave Chappelle.

-dsm

Alobar
02-27-2005, 09:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They should have gone with Dave Chappelle.

-dsm

[/ QUOTE ]

no way would he have lowered himself to do the oscars

pshreck
02-27-2005, 10:02 PM
Ok, so far, I have said WTF twice in response to random things.

For the first award... they had all the nominees standing on the stage... wtf??

Just now, Cate Blanchett just stood next to the person who was going to win as she announced them. WTF???

ClaytonN
02-27-2005, 10:02 PM
Saves time. Think about it. Cuts lots of minutes off that involve walking on the stage.

pshreck
02-27-2005, 10:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, so far, I have said WTF twice in response to random things.

For the first award... they had all the nominees standing on the stage... wtf??

Just now, Cate Blanchett just stood next to the person who was going to win as she announced them. WTF???

[/ QUOTE ]

And que Beyonce singing in french, in her ebonics/southern accent... wtf???

mostsmooth
02-27-2005, 10:04 PM
geez, drew barrymore looks like a 45 year old woman
how old is she?

istewart
02-27-2005, 10:05 PM
WHAT THE [censored]

Fratony
02-27-2005, 10:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Saves time. Think about it. Cuts lots of minutes off that involve walking on the stage.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not worth it, this was so stupid. Ruins the surprise (for the nominees and the audience) and just looked plain ridiculous, there is a stage for a reason.

ClaytonN
02-27-2005, 10:06 PM
I would much rather have this than having to stay up an extra 30 minutes for this show.

kerssens
I would like to see just one event where Beyoncee doesn't appear at in any way.

pshreck
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Not worth it, this was so stupid. Ruins the surprise (for the nominees and the audience) and just looked plain ridiculous, there is a stage for a reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, no matter how much time it saved for an award no one cares about, it was still stupid as all hell.

Alobar
02-27-2005, 10:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

istewart
02-27-2005, 10:12 PM
This whole thing is making fun of blacks, lmfao.

[censored]
02-27-2005, 10:58 PM
Who are the 3 hot chicks tucked away in the box in the back?

Edit (post close up) NM-- hot may have been a misstatement

istewart
02-27-2005, 11:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha.

CCass
02-27-2005, 11:11 PM
She just turned 30.

kipin
02-27-2005, 11:14 PM
Anyone see that guy nominated who was sleeping when his name was called? That was great, for those who missed it, his date slapped him and he sprung to life. Awesome.

ClaytonN
02-27-2005, 11:21 PM
I think he did that on purpose

[censored]
02-27-2005, 11:23 PM
I would like to order a Penelope Cruz & Selma Hayek sandwhich please.

Whoever put Selma on a diet should be shot.

istewart
02-27-2005, 11:28 PM
Salma*

Cruz looks like a rat compared to her.

[censored]
02-27-2005, 11:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Cruz looks like a rat compared to her.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude you just caused clam chouder to almost go out my nose.

[censored]
02-27-2005, 11:49 PM
Whoah...Yoyo Ma is more than just the result of Crazy Joe Devola kicking Kramer in the head? I had no idea.

istewart
02-27-2005, 11:57 PM
Puffy is quite a genius.

kipin
02-27-2005, 11:58 PM
Beyonce completes the Oscar trifecta.

IggyWH
02-28-2005, 12:02 AM
Can we have a song I understand please?

[censored]
02-28-2005, 12:04 AM
Note to Antonio Banderas: Lay off the sun light for the next 50 years or so, and seriously dude, your wire needs to have her lips looked at, ASAP.

Like Sean Penn doesn't get enough pussy, he has to kiss ass now?

[censored]
02-28-2005, 12:08 AM
I can't believe Hillary Swank didn't thank the cast and crew of 90210. You think Shannen Doherty is breaking [censored] right now?

ClaytonN
02-28-2005, 12:10 AM
Hilary Swank = worst acceptance speech EVER!

BoxTree
02-28-2005, 12:16 AM
Berry's was much worse.

PhatTBoll
02-28-2005, 12:34 AM
Julia Roberts is looking meaty.

[censored]
02-28-2005, 12:39 AM
I hate Barbara Streisand.

ClaytonN
02-28-2005, 12:40 AM
Scorcese got screwed again!

Guess I gotta go watch Million Dollar Baby

istewart
02-28-2005, 12:41 AM
Scorcese GOT PWNED.

pshreck
02-28-2005, 12:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Scorcese got screwed again!

Guess I gotta go watch Million Dollar Baby

[/ QUOTE ]

You may or may not like it, but its likely you will be confused as to how it got best picture.

Read espn.com for nasty articles about it also.

TStokes
02-28-2005, 12:45 AM
I wouldnt trust espn for my movie reviews

andyfox
02-28-2005, 01:00 AM
-Chris Rock was terrible. Unfunny. 14 writers, according to the credits, including Richard Jeni. Hard to believe that's the best they could do. One would think it's Rock's last Oscar hostship.

-The songs were all terrible. I thought the best one was the first one, the French boys chorus thing. Beyonce was wonderful in all of them though. When a song sung at the show by Antonio Banderas wins, you know what kind of year it was. Then again, John Goodman once sang the winner at the show.

-The show was incredibly boring. Next year they should try entertainment.

-Million $ Baby bought the award. All that advertising the last month undoubtedly put it over the top against The Aviator. Scorsese looked almost shocked when Eastwood's name was called out.

Rushmore
02-28-2005, 09:56 AM
Sir, have you had anything to drink this evening?

Please step off of the stage. I am placing you under arrest for presenting under the influence. Do you have any weapons or sharp items in your possession?

Hello drunkness, my old friend...

daveymck
02-28-2005, 10:13 AM
Million Dollar Baby I think is overated, its an Ok film if very slow, yes the acting is fine the story is fine, the direction is fine but I am surprised it did so well. I sort of enjoyed it but my GF thought it was pretty boring, think they probably could have cut 30 minutes out of the film and it still could have told the same story.

daveymck
02-28-2005, 10:17 AM
One comment the entertainment reporter said on our radio was that basically the Oscars are a back slapping excersise for the industry, as a viewer you can look in but its not made for entertaining people, also as the viewer has nostake in the results (most awards nowdays have a viewer voted category), this was in reposnse to a question on why its not quicker and why it is not very entertaining from the studio.

andyfox
02-28-2005, 01:11 PM
No, that's his persona at these things. I've seen him at a doctor's office here in town, he's usually semi-disheveled and has a somewhat lost look.

Bulldog
02-28-2005, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I watched a couple minutes. I figured Alan Alda would win because Freeman has so many Oscars. Then they announced Freeman and said that it was his FIRST one! How did he not get one for Driving Miss Daisy or Shawshank? Wow these awards suck.

Also, Renee Zelwegger is an alien from another planet, a planet without mirrors.

astroglide
02-28-2005, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

his role could have been mailed in by any decent actor. i think his win is the biggest joke of the awards. i think scorcese should have won director for aviator, but i can at least understand the motivation for giving it to eastwood. thomas hayden-church's performance absolutely smoked freeman's.

Rushmore
02-28-2005, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No, that's his persona at these things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh. So his chosen anti-establishment persona is Even though I agreed to attend and present an award, who needs all of this? Let me act all totally disinterested and loopy.

Excellent choice. I get the impression if you pulled him aside and boxed his ears you could maybe get him to admit--while aw shucksing and looking down at his shoes--that he actually LOVES the Hollywood scene.

andyfox
02-28-2005, 02:56 PM
He was the narrator for the opening montage (and I noticed quite a few of his performances represented). I don't know if the loopinenss is a put-on or if it's just him. As I say, he seems a bit loopy in his everyday demeanor. Was Sean Penn's "defense" of Jude Law a put-on, or is that just him, always intense?

My sense is, though, you're right: Hoffman loves being a famous movie star. Nothing wrong with that, I suppose. The whole thing is a staged event, after all. I mean, Streisand is going to read the biggest award of the night and claims she forgot her glasses? She doesn't have contacts? And Prince had all of five songs to announce, he couldn't have practiced the composers' names beforehand?

andyfox
02-28-2005, 03:03 PM
I must be nuts, because everybody I know though Hayden-Church was spectacular and I found him by far the weakest of the four in the ensemble and rate his performance a "C."

Freeman did his usual competent job. It was more of a life achievement award, kind of like Paul Newman for The Color of Money. Both were capable performances, but nowhere near to being in their top five, or even ten (in Newman's case).

astroglide
02-28-2005, 03:09 PM
i didn't see closer so i can't say anything about owen's performance, but i would definitely take alda over freeman and even consider foxx's collateral performance over it. that's how vacant i think it was. but i did earnestly love tom hc in sideways.

so where was scorcese's lifetime achievement award? he's 0 for 5 for best director.

JackWilson
02-28-2005, 05:12 PM
Chris Rock wasn't that bad, but definitely not as funny as he can be.

These are some of the awards I disagreed with (usually quite vehemently):

Best Supporting Actor: WTF? Alan Alda, Thomas Hayden Church AND Clive Owen (roughly in that order) were superior to Freeman by a long shot. Yeah, Freeman "deserved" this award like Denzel "deserved" Training Day. I'm not saying they're not great actors but man.
Best Director: This was an absolute crime. I nearly fell out of my chair when Eastwood's name was announced. Martin Scorcese NOT ONLY "DESERVED" IT, HE ALSO EARNED IT THIS TIME.
Best Picture: Oh boy. The nut low. The absolute pits. The creme de la creme of fuckups. How on earth did this happen and how much did it cost? The Aviator should have wrapped this up EASILY...Million Dollar Baby was a crock of [censored].

Heh.
So yeah. I guess I just really hate M$B, but even so I think it literally stole a bunch of awards.

partygirluk
02-28-2005, 06:08 PM
Agree. Glad that M$B won, as it will prove to be a classic. Swank deserved her Oscar, as did Eastwood. But Freeman's role was totally unchallenging. He did fine, but you could have easily put many other actors in his role, and the film would not have suffered.

andyfox
02-28-2005, 08:55 PM
Hitchcock and Orson Welles never won an oscar for best director either, pretty good company. His next film is about Irish gangsters, starring those two famous Irishmen, Jack Nicholson and Leonardo diCaprio. Looks like Leo has replaced Deniro as Marty's actor of choice.

BTW, I too thought Alda was outstanding. And Owen was also terrific in Closer.

andyfox
02-28-2005, 09:01 PM
Supposedly, Scorsese felt cheap glad-handing everybody last time for Gangs of New York and then not winning. So he sat on the side this time; Leo did most of the promoting, which is not in his character either, but he did it, also supposedly out of admiration for, and gratitude to, Scorsese. The powers that be spent a ton of dough on pushing Million $ Baby and that, in combination with Clint's star power, undoubtedly put it over the top.

exist
02-28-2005, 09:42 PM
Million Dollar Baby was the best film of the year. It deserved best picture and Eastwood deserved the directing oscar for it. Scorsese did not get robbed, he got pwned.