PDA

View Full Version : I hate Windows!! Tech help please

MicroBob
02-27-2005, 09:22 PM
First - my usual qualifier that I am virtually completely computer and tech incompetent. So speak slowly and use easy to understand words so that I have some chance of keeping up.

The first issue I'm dealing with here is that Internet-explorer seems to be blocking all pop-ups (or something like that).
When i click on a party-skin for a 'new-user' or 'deposit' or if I click on Pokerstars for FAQ (which brings up a web-page) nothing is happening.
So it seems that explorer is somehow blocking these and I don't know where that setting is (still looking for it).

Immediate help would be just dandy.

Here's the whole scenario so feel free to comment on this ridiculous situation I put myself into as well if you like.
I was at the internet-coffee place and was having difficulty accessing the internet connection. As has happened before, I had a fine and dandy signal....but when mozilla or anything else didn't recognize that I was connected.
I finally found one box that i would check-mark that says 'allow me to connect via this blah blah blah'. But after checking that box...and then opening it again...it would be unchecked.

I thought maybe I picked up a stupid bug somewhere in there that was unchecking this box.
I did a couple of different system-restores to a week or two ago to try to fix it....

THEN - in the middle of one of the system-restores my battery died.
This REALLY messed up my computer.

After getting home and reconnecting I saw that mozilla-firefox and all party skins were missing.
I'm thinking that the restore just hadn't gotten to those yet when it got cut-off.

I tried restoring again....but afterwards it says there were no changes (and it remains exactly the same).
When it's restoring....it looks like the little progress-bar goes to about the same point where it was when it died earlier....and that's where it finishes.

Anyway...the system-restore stuff isn't working and I seem to have f'ed things up pretty good.

I was hoping to take advantage of the situation and see if I could at least set up a new account at one of the skins....but when I click 'new-user' it does not access the page via IE (I haven't reinstalled firefox yet....but the deault for the party skins is IE anyway).

Okay...blast-away at my total incompetence if you like.
However....if Windows weren't so damn problematic in the first place I wouldn't have gotten myself in this situation.

But...before you blast-away....please tell me where the setting is to allow the other sites such as the poker-rooms to open their pages via IE.

Thanks for any help.

IggyWH
02-27-2005, 10:22 PM
In IE :

1)Tools
2)Internet Options
3)Privacy tab
4)Either uncheck that box (will allow all popups then) or click on settings and add in the name of the website you want to allow popups on
5)Apply then OK.

iMsoLucky0
02-27-2005, 10:30 PM
I don't know how to change the settings to make it where it doesn't do it automatically, but a quick solution is to just hold down CTRL when you press the button that will be bringing up the popup.

Holding down CTRL usually temporarily allows popups for however long you hold it.