PDA

View Full Version : 20/40 at Bike and Commerce

BoxTree
02-27-2005, 09:11 PM
I'd like to hear what people think of the 20/40 games at The Bike and Commerce. Right now, I play 8/16 at The Bike (Boo hiss on the 10/20) and 9/18 at Commerce. I've heard mixed things about the 20/40 games at both places.

Are the 20/40 games just as loose as 8/16 and 9/18? Much more aggressive? A total LAG fest? Bad preflop but good postflop? Many of the terrible 8/16 and 9/18 players claim to also play the 20/40 game. So that's a plus. But do the 40/80 players and above drop down to 20/40 to make the game significantly tougher?

Any comments are appreciated.

ismisus
02-27-2005, 09:22 PM
I have no idea how they play. However generally when the higher limit players move down, they play horrible! Not true in all cases...

BoxTree
02-27-2005, 09:33 PM
I just read through a thread on 20/40 Commerce involving trifecta check-raising and a preflop raise with KQo. Given how much discussion that thread garnered (and knowing that such a situation would very rarely -- if ever -- occur at 8/16 or 9/18), I think 20/40 is a significant jump from 8/16 or 9/18. Time to shift from SSHE to HEPFAP, methinks.

sternroolz
02-28-2005, 11:18 AM
LAG games big time, especially at the Commerce $20-40.

My friend used to play that game and made a lot of money using a strategy I find deplorable, but apparently it worked. He called a lot of hands....basically any posistion, so long as he held two face cards or even stuff like J9o-A9o. He never plays suited connectors that are not face cards and raises every time in middle position or later with any pocket higher than 55 so long as there is only one limper. He killed this game simply because there was so much bluffing and he would basically never lay down if he flopped top pair no matter how scary the board was.

He must know something I do not, because he moved to the Commerce $600 buy in no limit in August or September and destroyed that game on weekends only for about $15K before he quit playing in late November.

TobDog
03-01-2005, 12:21 AM
Uh, why did he quit playing? Another job that paid more? didnt feel the mental toughness to play competitively? Writing 2+2's new mid limit holdem for Commerce players?

Boris
03-01-2005, 01:32 AM
Games always change. You just have to check it out for yourself. This past weekend at the Commerce I played in 2 20-40 games for a total of 20 minutes. This was in the day time. Both times the game was very passive and moderately loose. IMO, these are the ideal game conditions if you are looking to get your feet wet at higher limits. You can try hitting it at 1:00am on Friday night but I'll bet the game will be pretty crazy and will offer a bit more variance than you really want to take on right now. Again, look for a passive game if you want to take a shot.

Victor
03-01-2005, 01:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He called a lot of hands....basically any posistion, so long as he held two face cards or even stuff like J9o-A9o. He never plays suited connectors that are not face cards

[/ QUOTE ]

so he played J9o but not 910s. brilliant strategy, i think i will adopt it.

lighterjobs
03-01-2005, 02:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He called a lot of hands....basically any posistion, so long as he held two face cards or even stuff like J9o-A9o. He never plays suited connectors that are not face cards

[/ QUOTE ]

so he played J9o but not 910s. brilliant strategy, i think i will adopt it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was thinking the same thing when i read that. pretty useful strategy besides play J9o if you know the game and are comfortable with it.

X_B_R
03-01-2005, 02:53 AM
For what it's worth I've just started playing in the 20/40 at Commerce and elsewhere and found them to be slightly tougher but definitely not the quantum leap I had imagined.
Still very LAG. There are some very good players but also some very bad ones. I guess some people like to gamble with something that's meaninful to them.
Mostly I had a slight psychological adjustment to make. I thought the games would be much tougher and let that affect my game. I played a little timid at first.
If your winning at the lower limits and have the bankroll I say give it a shot.
Good luck.

sternroolz
03-01-2005, 10:16 AM
People quit playing poker for a number of reasons....they need the money for a better opportunity elsewhere, they don't have the time, their life priorities switch.

Believe it or not, there are better money making opportunities out there than poker including high salaried jobs, going into business for yourself, property investment, etc.

As to the the strategy he employed, I specifically recall stating in my original post that I found the strategy deplorable, thereby implying that I would not recommend that strategy. My only point in posting the strategy was to affirm that indeed the game was so LAG oriented that apparently you could make a profit employing an unorthidox loose/weak strategy due to the propensity of players in the game to bluff on a great percentage of the hands played.

pheasant tail (no 18)
03-01-2005, 05:26 PM
In my limited experience (2 hours), the 9/18 at Commerce is the most aggro game on earth.

20-40s at both are aggro but very dependent on line ups.

A great time to take a shot is when you see players that you have played w/ at lower limits (who you estimate as not so great) are seated. After a few hours you wil have an estimation of other players at table. Remember that just because someone is in the upper section does not mean that they are good--often there chips are just prettier. Likewise, often those who suck at a lower limit take it seriously at higher and are good.

Be sure to play extra tight and aggressive until you are comfortable.

Good luck,
PT

BTW--the 10-20 at bike was loose, loose, loose when I ws there. Pretty great game.