PDA

View Full Version : CALI Home Poker Law

theDetroitKid
02-27-2005, 09:10 PM
I go to a private college in soCal and have started an on campus cardclub. We hold weekly tournaments and ring games in private property, and do not take any rake or entry fees. The club is funded by monthly dues. Should I have any legal concerns?

The way I understand CA state law is that it is legal for persons to place private bets with one another, but not for the house to have a 'controlled' game (one were they stand to make a profit). Our club is not profit driven and we give cash prizes.

Thanks
theDetroitKid

LetsRock
02-27-2005, 11:55 PM
I'm no expert, but you may have a couple of concerns:

You say "private property" - I'm not sure what you mean by that. If the property owner is hosting a game with no house charges, you should be fine. IF you're hosting the game on "private" school grounds (or some other non-"home" situation), you could be at legal risk.

2nd, you mention monthly dues. This could also put you at risk. I'd guess it aall depends what the money from the dues supports exactly whether this is a problem or not.

We prefer to to keep it real simple - we play at one of our homes and no money is set aside for anything. If it's put into play that night, it's paid out that night.

theDetroitKid
02-28-2005, 12:29 AM
to clear things up:

the college is a residental college, we play in a social room within the dorms

dues are collected to support the club and its expenditures on mostly equipment.

theDetroitKid

rusellmj
02-28-2005, 01:46 AM
You goin to Mudd?

duma
02-28-2005, 07:30 AM
its my understanding that any type of home game in California is illegal, even if u arent collecting a rake or collecting fees.

Fins
02-28-2005, 12:46 PM
Have you checked here for state gambling laws (http://www.gambling-law-us.com/State-Law-Summary/)?

- Fins