PDA

View Full Version : Should I make this call?

SoBeDude
02-27-2005, 08:25 PM
100K tourney on PP

I've been short all day. Sitting with 2520K in chips when average stack is over 5K. Blinds are 200-400 with 25 ante.

I'm the BB with K9c. Its folded around to the CO, who pushes all of his 8200. It sure looks like a steal to me making a raise he doesn't want called. I know nothing about this players style.

I think a long time. I really need to double up and this is a decent spot to do it. But I'm not sure if I'm ahead or behind. And I'm thinking I can wait and get a better spot.

So I fold.

Given that I'm so short, I think I should have made the call with a reasonable hand against a late push.

Opinions?

-Scott

woodguy
02-27-2005, 08:35 PM
I don't think either play is really wrong.

I'll often make a huge overbet on a short stack's BB with the goods to induce a call.

With 5BB's you can easily make a case for calling as well.

There, I've said pretty much nothing.

Regards,
Woodguy

SoBeDude
02-27-2005, 08:39 PM
There, I've said pretty much nothing.

LOL!!

SoBeDude
02-28-2005, 04:00 AM
BUMP.

hoping to get more feedback. And upon further reflection, I think its a clear fold.

-Scott

MLG
02-28-2005, 04:09 AM
Its a fold to me (although with the right notes on the CO it could be a call). I hate getting shortstacked because I feel like it is very possible to go from about 8 BBs to about 4.5 BBs without really seeing a good EV situation. Once I hit 4.5 I'm shoving pretty hyperactively, but before that ugh. I'm much more likely to bust by reraising a CO raiser with junk when I have about 13 BBs then I am by pushing at the wrong spot with 8. I got a little distracted, but this is all by way of saying that at different degrees of short-stack you should have different goals. At about 12-14 you should look to reraise all-in with a fairly wide range of hands over loose raisers (who you think will be able to fold preflop). At about 7-12 I'm super tight, and I'm only looking to push in situations where I think there's a chance I'll be called by a worse hand, or call an all-in if I think I'm ahead. Less than 7 I'm attacking blinds when I think they'll fold regardless of my cards pretty much, and if I get called I pray.

Jdanz
02-28-2005, 04:12 AM
a suprisingly helpful post, considering how obvious this stuff is to you. Thanks MLG.

MLG
02-28-2005, 04:17 AM
Your welcome, but its not at all obvious to me. It took lots of practice and heavy thought, and some good advice before I realized that doing things like raising AJ/kq utg with 11bb is not a good idea. Incidently, I didn't mention the SB. I push alot from the SB if its folded to me and if my stack is under 15bbs. I mean, a lot.

Jdanz
02-28-2005, 04:24 AM
sounds like me back in the ol sng days, guess it's not too much different in a folded to small blind. Thanks again, i'll keep it in mind.