PDA

View Full Version : Coldcall the river with this set?

chesspain
02-27-2005, 07:37 PM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

I haven't been at this table long, but I know the button to be a LAG. No solid reads on the other players.

Preflop: chesspain is UTG with 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif.
chesspain calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">chesspain raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">chesspain 3-bets</font>, CO calls, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, BB calls, chesspain calls, CO calls.

River: (23.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, chesspain calls, CO calls, SB calls.

Final Pot: 31.50 BB

1. Does anyone fold this river?
2. Would anyone have just coldcalled the turn?

jskills
02-27-2005, 07:39 PM
I think I like it on every street.

One of the blinds likely has a junk hand that made a gay straight of course. But I can't see folding the river unless you know for sure they are very solid rock like players.

private joker
02-27-2005, 07:42 PM
I would have 3-bet the turn. But SB's cap makes it look like he had A3 for the turned straight, while BB's continued aggression makes it look like 86 for the big blind special -- flopped OESD and turned nuts.

When you don't fill up on the river, I might be able to find a fold here. It's hard to say without individual reads on the blinds, though.

EDIT: Never mind. I just saw how big the pot was, and I think it's worth cold-calling the river for the rare times you're not up against a straight (or 2).

Nick C
02-27-2005, 10:13 PM
Hmm. This one's complicated.

SB's stop-n-go certainly doesn't convince me he hit a straight though (which he might have gone for a checkraise with). I'm more inclined to think his draw just improved (maybe he has 76 or 66 or even 88 or 87, for instance) or he's just leading again with top pair. It is possible he was betting a wheel draw on the flop though, especially if by some chance he has A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif.

BB's raise could mean a straight. It could also mean two pair or possibly 44.

Cold-calling instead of 3-betting would somewhat increase the chances of bringing CO and Button along. This could be good, but it isn't if you're ahead and a 3-bet would have gotten one of them to fold the only 6. (Getting someone to fold the only 3, if possible, could also be good, especially if no one has an 8.) But there are a lot of ifs in that equation.

I suspect that sometimes I would cold-call and sometimes I would 3-bet. And maybe that's okay. I'm not sure that either play is obviously better than the other.

In any event, taking the subsequent action into account, it doesn't look like your decision affected the amount of bets you were going to have to put in on the turn. And maybe this strengthens the case for a 3-bet. If SB has a straight, you'll probably have to put at least three bets in on the turn anyway, but if you're ahead of SB, that third bet may not go in if you just cold-call.

I don't know what's best on the river. I do think you're probably beat. But I'm not good at folding sets in big pots on the river, especially against unknowns, so I'm pretty sure I would have called too. And maybe you're good often enough here.

chesspain
02-28-2005, 01:32 AM
Both SB and BB had A3o, and MHWNG.

synbad13
02-28-2005, 03:57 AM
First, I believe you fold 5's preflop unless you are pretty sure you will get 5 limpers in an (preferablly) unraised pot. I think that I would just call the turn and then fold when it's raised to you. Although the pot is big, it was capped on the turn and then bet and raised to you. One of these people has a straight.

rmarotti
02-28-2005, 06:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
First, I believe you fold 5's preflop unless you are pretty sure you will get 5 limpers in an (preferablly) unraised pot. I think that I would just call the turn and then fold when it's raised to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This advice sucks.

BusterStacks
02-28-2005, 06:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
First, I believe you fold 5's preflop unless you are pretty sure you will get 5 limpers in an (preferablly) unraised pot. I think that I would just call the turn and then fold when it's raised to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This advice sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

cnfuzzd
02-28-2005, 07:37 AM
i think there is really no option but to call the river without a read, given the size of the pot. I am simply unwilling to make a 27BB laydown against an unknown with a hand this strong. I dont expect to win often, but i would expect it to be at least a break even proposition.

peace

john nickle

bernie
02-28-2005, 07:54 AM
You're likely behind on the turn. At least in 1 spot. Some of your outs may be gone so the turn raise isn't exactly a value raise. BB just woke up so he has at least a set usually, but then SB didn't blink and capped it. To which the BB didn't slow down and raised the river. I would just call expecting to have to improve on the river to see the showdown. I'd also be wary if a lower card paired the board.

Calling the river is fine if you're really not sure.

b