PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Outlook

thatpfunk
02-27-2005, 07:09 PM
I was reading the thread about Hotmail and a lot of people were ripping on Outlook...

I know very close to nothing about computers, why should I not be using Outlook on my home computer?

FWIW, I only use it for business and poker related email. I have been using hotmail for the majority of my email. I plan on updating to gmail soon (if any one wants to throw me an invite, id like them forever), but why should I stop using Outlook?

Thanks,
A computer idiot

[censored]
02-27-2005, 07:19 PM
I have 49 more invites if anyone else needs one.

wacki
02-27-2005, 07:27 PM
Outlook has a reputation as a breeding ground for viruses/trojans. I haven't read the security websites in a over a year, but Microsoft used to be pretty bad about patching holes. A network admin I've worked for in the past wouldn't let any of us use it.

But like I said, I'm not up to speed on current security.

thatpfunk
02-27-2005, 07:32 PM
But basically if you are only emailing with people who you trust and you're not going to be accepting any attachments, it is cool?

wacki
02-27-2005, 07:41 PM
No (I think). In the past if somebody you trust gets infected, and you read their e-mail that was mailed to you by the trojan/virus/etc, you could could be in trouble. There were numerous holes that allowed your computer to get infected by simply reading someone elses mail. Again, I don't know the current status of these holes, but I've found it's a whole lot easier not to deal with it. Outlook is the most popular email client, and it is what all of the hackers/Microsoft haters are going to write code for. It's simply not worth my time trying to worry about it.

Eudora, Thunderbird, there are plenty of other ways to go.

"If you've lately taken to cursing at your current e-mail program, then I suggest you give Thunderbird a try. It's the best thing to happen to e-mail in a long time."
- Forbes

thatpfunk
02-27-2005, 08:06 PM
Thanks Wacki, appreciated.

shadow29
02-27-2005, 08:13 PM
Is there a reason to use Thunderbird if I have Gmail?

wacki
02-27-2005, 09:01 PM
I only use it to manage multiple e-mail accounts. Gmail notifier (envelope in the taskbar) pretty much takes care of everything, so basically, no.

pshreck
02-27-2005, 09:02 PM
Outlook makes writing viruses about a million times easier, and using it can affect you and all those in your address book with viruses.

AEKDBet
02-27-2005, 09:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is there a reason to use Thunderbird if I have Gmail?

[/ QUOTE ]

Newsgroups for one. Another is space if you have over a gig worth of emails - not that hard to do actually. Another is having a hard copy on a drive, instead of over the web.

wacki
02-27-2005, 09:44 PM
good post

Evan
02-27-2005, 11:42 PM
If you got Thunderbird I'd reccomend getting the extensions that minimizes it to the system tray. It makes it way more usable.

Here's the link if you're interested:
http://minimizetotray.mozdev.org/

astroglide
02-28-2005, 12:48 AM
i would trust google's storage infinitely more than any single hard drive. on a related note, thunderbird needs to do a better job of handling migrations and get something like a standard single-file format similar to pst.

JDErickson
02-28-2005, 01:37 AM
Outlook used to be terrible for viruses. They have made recent advances that make it much better though.

I still wouldn't suggest it for individuals but for Corporate users with the proper virus filters it works great.