PDA

View Full Version : Help, Ed Miller. When do I not call the raise???

SaggyTTs
02-27-2005, 06:10 PM
Mr. Miller. First of all, let me say that I have thoroughly enjoyed your book, and I have about worn off the cover. I have finally quit losing online(at least so far). I do have a question, however, for you and anyone else who cares to answer:
When do you not call a raise in low-limit stakes? (1-2, 2-4, whatever)
In almost 50K hands, the best I have been able to average is about a little over 1 BB per 100 hands. I play tight, aggressive pre-flop, and I protect my hand super-aggressively when the pot is large. I tend to fold questionable hands when the pot is small.

The best guess I have as far as a leak is that I tend to call raises or re-reraise (usually call) post flop, especially on the flop and turn. I noticed in thorough rereads of your book that addressing raises in low-limit is not mentioned much. I have found that most of the time, when I call, I am truly beaten. But I continue to call at least one bet rather than immediately fold. I don't want people to think they can bully me out, or I fear they will raise more. Then often I will check and call to the river with a decent hand (top pair or over pair). Should I not be doing this? My hunch is this would be more correct in higher limits with better players, but that in low-limit, raiser usually hold good cards. Do you agree?

At any rate, I am stuck. I went from 67 bucks in my account to 1070 playing .50/1.00 and 1/2 primarily in about six weeks. But I can't go any higher. I played a 9,000 hand spell and only won 17 big bets. I cannot freakin' imagine what brick and mortar players must go through when they play through these spells. Do good players go 9,000 hands and only win 17 bets??? Jeez! Any guesses? Your help would be highly regarded and appreciated (and I would love to hear others).

thanks...

hypermegachi
02-27-2005, 06:22 PM
well it's easy. quit calling when you know you're beat. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

the "crying miller call" only occurs on the river, when the pot is big, AND you close the action.

DcifrThs
02-27-2005, 07:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But I continue to call at least one bet rather than immediately fold. I don't want people to think they can bully me out, or I fear they will raise more.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're making money by being tight and aggressive with your good hands but giving it back (save 17bets /images/graemlins/wink.gif ) with plays like these.

calling raises is usually bad. its pretty much given.

spots to call raises are in loose games with low pairs after a raise and callers (>=3) in position and suited connectors (mid, low ones b/c you raise the high ones) if the entire table is playing.

postflop there are some places to call raises but its usually b/c you are trapping. calling more bets AFTER calling a raise is giving your money away. this is your biggest leak by far (maybe after or tied with calling the raise int he first place)...

also, these players aren't trying to "bully" you around or push you off pots...their like monkeys (in my experience) for the most part and really dont care/think too much what you have.

-Barron

bernie
02-27-2005, 09:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do good players go 9,000 hands and only win 17 bets???

[/ QUOTE ]

Some good players go 10K hands and only lose 100 bets.

b