PDA

View Full Version : What is the best city on Earth to eat?

partygirluk
02-27-2005, 05:04 PM
A leading food magazine recently devoted its entire magazine to one city, which it claims clearly has the best gourmet in the world.

Which city do you think it is? And who would you vote for?

Linkage (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/02/27/ngrub27.xml&sSheet=/portal/2005/02/27/ixportal.html) here.

Sponger15SB
02-27-2005, 05:09 PM
Las Vegas.

peachy
02-27-2005, 05:09 PM
ATLANTA!!

mmbt0ne
02-27-2005, 05:15 PM
New Orleans

No other city should even be mentioned.

Freakin
02-27-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
New Orleans

[/ QUOTE ]

Popinjay
02-27-2005, 05:18 PM
I was in London recently and all the food sucked.

peachy
02-27-2005, 05:19 PM
yeah New Orleans is great hehe but i gotta stick with mah home place /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Caruso329
02-27-2005, 05:20 PM
Never been but I would think Paris or maybe somewhere in Italy like Venice or Rome. That or Hollywood or L.A., where all the gourmet celebrity chefs are.

Hmm... or maybe Japan. Yea, I'm changing to Japan.

Final Answer: Tokyo.

(just read the article and it killed my first two choices)

partygirluk
02-27-2005, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

More likely your restaurant-choosing skills sucked.

GuyOnTilt
02-27-2005, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

More likely your restaurant-choosing skills sucked.

[/ QUOTE ]

coltrane
02-27-2005, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
New Orleans

[/ QUOTE ]

yup, one of the reasons I live here......

stanky
02-27-2005, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Las Vegas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite possible. Most of the well known chefs seem to have restaurants there.

I know its not gourmet but there is no better place for pizza than Chicago.

-Pete

Emmitt2222
02-27-2005, 05:50 PM
I've got to say New York just because of the great selection of all types of food [yay imigrants] You have China town, little Italy and some other really upscale places. London sucked when I was there because all a backpacker can offord is bread and cereal, I wish I could have had a nice meal there that didnt cost $20. A stinking Mcdonalds meal costs $12.

Voltron87
02-27-2005, 06:05 PM
wait, wait... are you actually touting British cuisine as superior? Come on now.

partygirluk
02-27-2005, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
wait, wait... are you actually touting British cuisine as superior? Come on now.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Read again please.

tbach24
02-27-2005, 06:10 PM
Northampton, MA.

1. Three Dunkin' Donuts.
2. Huge selection of Asian foods.
3. So much pizza.

Dominic
02-27-2005, 06:15 PM
I lived in London for three years - it ain't bad, but the best food? No way.

Los Angeles - huge influx of different cultures and cuisine coupled with the casual L.A. lifestyle make dining in this city the best. I've lived here for 15 years and I still have not tried even 1% of the avialable restaurants here. It's the best.

New York - grew up there. Same influx of culture and cuisine, so it's fantastic.

Rome - Never had a bad meal there. Ever.

StevieG
02-27-2005, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Which city do you think it is? And who would you vote for?
Linkage (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/02/27/ngrub27.xml&sSheet=/portal/2005/02/27/ixportal.html) here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Going to make an oddball guess and go with Brussels. There are a lot of quality restaurants there and plenty of lobbyists and politicians to keep them open.

istewart
02-27-2005, 06:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

True, although the servings are not even close to filling for most Americans /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Paluka
02-27-2005, 06:34 PM
It is very possible that London has the best expensive/5 star classy restaraunts. But for normal people who want to spend less thn $30 a meal per person the food there blows.

smudgex68
02-27-2005, 06:50 PM
Never trust anything printed in the Daily Telegraph

istewart
02-27-2005, 06:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Never trust anything printed in the Daily Telegraph

[/ QUOTE ]

PWNED.

daveymck
02-27-2005, 06:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It is very possible that London has the best expensive/5 star classy restaraunts. But for normal people who want to spend less thn $30 a meal per person the food there blows.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which was the point made on the radio in the UK by a nutritionist, who was basically saying yes the writers probably think it but they get free reviews and nice expense accounts so dont have the choice normal people do. That said there is good food in the UK probably more so outside of London, we have a really good broad range of foods (mainly not from the uk) but if you know the right places good pub food is there as well.

Fratony
02-27-2005, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ATLANTA!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Negative. I lived in the NY area for my whole life till i came to college in ATL. The Italian food in Atlanta is dispicable to say the least. Atlanta does have a good amount of great modern restaurants (tapas bars, sushi, steak houses, etc.), but nothing compared to NY and i'm sure Europe is even better. I'll get back to on that though as i am going to Europe for study abroad this summer.

partygirluk
02-27-2005, 07:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All true.

Lawrence Ng
02-27-2005, 07:41 PM
Vancouver BC.

We have everything from Chinese to Cajun. We have Vegetarian, Salad bars, steak houses - all first class.

Vegas doesn't even close.

The icing on the cake is - everything is good value in Vancouver.

Lawrence

BottlesOf
02-27-2005, 08:19 PM
I vote New York, but that can't be it as it's too obvious.

Diplomat
02-27-2005, 08:28 PM
For the size of the city Vancouver is incredible and provides great value. Great access to fresh seafood, highly diverse population, and home of the best culinary school in the country help quite a bit. That said, it simply cannot compete with cities such as London and New York which have a much larger population (and much more money) to drive the industry...so long as you are willing to pay for it.

-Diplomat

andyfox
02-27-2005, 08:35 PM
Ruth Reichl wouldn't know good food from an ashtray. She used to work here in L.A. and she's food-challenged. I ate in all the top London restaurants on my last visit and they varied between they sucked and they were OK. The best was Nobu and I understand is has now closed. The food in Paris, New York, Chicago, San Francisco and Hong Kong, to name just a few, tops London by a mile. And it isn't close.

thatpfunk
02-27-2005, 08:36 PM
Rome simply because it doesn't matter where you go, even the cheapest places have great food.

I am sure Gourmet London food is great (as the Magazine insists) but in my experiences, not every restaurant is good like rome.

pshreck
02-27-2005, 09:04 PM
I seriously think that it has to be a city outside the U.S., but I could be wrong.

Ulysses
02-27-2005, 09:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Las Vegas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite possible. Most of the well known chefs seem to have restaurants there.

[/ QUOTE ]

While good, most of those outposts don't measure up to the flagship restaurants (Postrio, Aqua, China Grill, Le Cirque, etc.).

Ulysses
02-27-2005, 09:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I lived in London for three years - it ain't bad, but the best food? No way.

Los Angeles - huge influx of different cultures and cuisine coupled with the casual L.A. lifestyle make dining in this city the best. I've lived here for 15 years and I still have not tried even 1% of the avialable restaurants here. It's the best.

New York - grew up there. Same influx of culture and cuisine, so it's fantastic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the key is really the influx of different cultures. That is what makes Houston a surprisingly good restaurant city as well.

Isura
02-27-2005, 10:18 PM
Paris with Vegas a close second (maybe first?).

jason_t
02-27-2005, 10:31 PM
Rome. New York. Los Angeles.

BeerMoney
02-27-2005, 10:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Northampton, MA.

1. Three Dunkin' Donuts.
3. So much pizza.

[/ QUOTE ]

They have an Antonio's right?

judgesmails
02-27-2005, 11:20 PM
You must remember that most people over there have very few teeth and their gums are rotten. Therefore their sense of taste is obliterated.

You could open a resturant that served nothing but steamed feces, call it steak, and they would not know the difference. As long as they had a pint or two to wash it down with - its all good.

Alobar
02-28-2005, 12:18 AM
what city is the playboy mansion in?? That city is my answer

Evan
02-28-2005, 12:27 AM
I've never been to London but New York is definitely my favorite.

OrangeHeat
02-28-2005, 12:29 AM
why would i eat a city???

If i must, shelburne, vt is one of the smallest and most likely the easiest to devour.

Orange

edtost
02-28-2005, 02:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I vote New York, but that can't be it as it's too obvious.

[/ QUOTE ]

pokerjo22
02-28-2005, 03:30 AM
Paris, and this is the first time I'll use the cliche 'and it isn't even close!'

wonderwes
02-28-2005, 03:42 AM
Houston, Tx
Actual Proof (http://www.click2houston.com/health/4050077/detail.html)

The sheer number of resturants per population is huge.

Boris
02-28-2005, 03:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ruth Reichl wouldn't know good food from an ashtray.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha. nice to to hear AF talkin some smack.

EliteNinja
02-28-2005, 04:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Vancouver BC.

We have everything from Chinese to Cajun. We have Vegetarian, Salad bars, steak houses - all first class.

Lawrence

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget All-You-Can-Eat sushi!!!!
Not even Japan has that!

ToneLoc
02-28-2005, 04:10 AM
Paris. By a mile.

nicky g
02-28-2005, 07:58 AM
It isn't true you can't eat well in London outside of expensive restaurants. Right in the heart of tourist land, that's sort of true (there are still a couple of decent cheap eats places - but far more terrible and overpriced ones) but there are many, many very good restaurants where you can easily get a good meal for less than Ł20 a head, with wine, mainly ethnic. If El D's comment about the number of different cultures making the city foodwise is correct, then London has to be up there. It has a bad rep amongst foreigners, especially American tourists largely because a. they go to the awful places around Leicester Square, Picadilly etc and aren't willing ot go the the parts of town that don't hold much interest for sightseers; b. it's working out very expensive for them for some time because of the weak dollar (it is expensive, but not horribly so), and c. it used to indeed be terrible for eating. I've lived here 8 years now and it was grim-ish at first. It's improved a lot and I've also got to know it a bit better, and I've found it to now be a really great city for eating out (indeed, one of it's very few saving graces).

Whoever said Brussels is a genius. Diversity of choice isn't great, although pretty good for its size, but the quality is almost always excellent (although again, it pays to avoid restaurants near the tourist hotspots). Brussels on a London or even Paris scale would be the Mecca of the food world.

thatpfunk
02-28-2005, 08:05 AM
Doner Kabobs are the nuts. Never seen them in the US.

nicky g
02-28-2005, 08:28 AM
Man, most of them are pretty awful - the preserve of many a dogmeat joke. Almost always go for the Kofte or Shish in a kebab shop if you somehow find yourself in one. Shawarma and Gyros places are generally much better (great Gyros in Brussels). But there is a lot of very good Middle Eastern food here.

thatpfunk
02-28-2005, 08:35 AM
My fav doners were in Spain, only had one in London and was cooked a little differently... I liked the chicken ones that they just slice off the big spining thing of meat with some veggies and sauces... good stuff.

daveymck
02-28-2005, 08:44 AM
You missed out the D Portions generally are small compared to the half cow sized portions americans expect.

I have eaten in Paris a few times and think french food is overrated, had a nice Chinese in Brussels but even pub type food is decent in Belgium generally.

I find it amusing in this thread Americans bashing anyone elses food, the amount of crap the US exports round the world as well a creating fast food and the tv dinner and being the most obese nation around cant see how you can critisise. On top of that your meat is not the best quality and I think is still allowed to be pumped full of hormones along wih the fact that mad cow disease is probably prevelant (or at least there in parts) but gets brushed under the carpet. I suspect that the US is like the UK with most good resteraunts being based on foods from abroad rather than the rib/steak/burger joints.

Although I do like kebabs (but have to know the best shops to get it from ) and fish and chips cant be beaten. I dont think you get proper bacon sandwiches over there its all the streaky bacon but I may be wrong on that.

daveymck
02-28-2005, 08:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Man, most of them are pretty awful - the preserve of many a dogmeat joke. Almost always go for the Kofte or Shish in a kebab shop if you somehow find yourself in one. Shawarma and Gyros places are generally much better (great Gyros in Brussels). But there is a lot of very good Middle Eastern food here.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the question of kebabs my local takeaway (which I dont goto ) does a pizza called geordie delight, pizza base with tomato then with kebab meat and garlic and chilli sauce on it, you can add chips to the topping if you wish. One for the daft drunk locals I think.

nicky g
02-28-2005, 09:09 AM
"You missed out the D Portions generally are small compared to the half cow sized portions americans expect."

Portions are smaller, yes. If you want big portions, the place to go is Portugal. Delicious, too.

I think another problem is that people look for the wrong thing here. Americans for example may try London pizza or Mexican food because that's what they like to eat back home, find that it by and large sucks, and conclude London food is terrible. It's not, but you need to eat what London does well - for example Middle Eastern food, Thai food, South Asian food, gastro-pub food, decent trad English food (hardish to find but is there) and some types of Italian food. If I judged American food by the Indian food I've had there, I would rate it mediocre at best, and terrible compared to British food. Every time I've been to an Indian restaurant in teh states it's been to me exactly what London food is thought of as in America; pricey and tasteless. But I know American food is actually very good because I eat what my American wife tells me is good there, not what I'd eat if I was at home.

thatpfunk
02-28-2005, 09:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think another problem is that people look for the wrong thing here. Americans for example may try London pizza or Mexican food because that's what they like to eat back home, find that it by and large sucks, and conclude London food is terrible. It's not, but you need to eat what London does well - for example Middle Eastern food, Thai food, South Asian food, gastro-pub food, decent trad English food (hardish to find but is there) and some types of Italian food. If I judged American food by the Indian food I've had there, I would rate it mediocre at best, and terrible compared to British food. Every time I've been to an Indian restaurant in teh states it's been to me exactly what London food is thought of as in America; pricey and tasteless. But I know American food is actually very good because I eat what my American wife tells me is good there, not what I'd eat if I was at home.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no, no... you're making waaaaayyy too much sense /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

FWIW, I thought Spanish food was by far the worst in Europe, everything else was pretty good.

jakethebake
02-28-2005, 12:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What is the best city on Earth to eat?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought was gonna be a Godzilla thread. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

GimmeDaWatch
02-28-2005, 12:11 PM
I dislike alot of things about living in LA, but the food aint one of 'em. I love Indian, Mediterranean, Japanese, and Chinese food, and ethnic restaurants are a dime a dozen around here. Ironically, I cant find a good Mexican joint on the westside. I've traveled in Europe a bit, and obviously everybody loves Italian food, so Rome was really good, but I dont think I had a single subpar meal in a Parisian cafe, they do it up rott noss. Typical British food makes me gag for the most part, but London does have alot of Indian and Pakistani restaurants, so thats a plus.

turnipmonster
02-28-2005, 12:29 PM
I really like belgian food as well (eaten more in antwerp than brussels though), but as you pointed out every place seems to have a very similar if not identical menu. there is always potato and cheese croquettes, some type of spaghetti bolognese, frites, etc.

--turnipmonster

nicky g
02-28-2005, 01:03 PM
I love Belgian spag bol. Not offering it up as any kind of haute, or even good, cuisine, but I can't get enough of that stuff. The cheeese always fuses with the sauce to make some kind of delicious bolognese-flavoured chewing gum concotion. Yum.

But yeah, it's true. But the food is always good, and there's the endless diffent beers for variety. There's a bit more variety in Brussels where a lot of restaurants experiment a bit more or have some kind of angle. My favourite restaurant is a Portuguese owned Belgian restaurant; all the Belgian staples but a lot of good seafood and Belgian takes on trad Portuguese dishes as well, plus a great Portuguese wine list.

For a city of its size it has a decent but not amazing range of good ethnic restaurants, I guess.

daveymck
02-28-2005, 01:07 PM
I really hated Brussells the 48hrs I have spent there, but then I think I might just hate capital cities as I hated Paris as well (and dont really like London although it improved the 6 months I was there). Spent a few months in the Diest/Leuven area and thought it was much nicer than Brussels, completely different vibe and much quieter nicer place.

jen
02-28-2005, 01:41 PM
"That is what makes Houston a surprisingly good restaurant city as well."

Surely, you jest...

Ulysses
02-28-2005, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Surely, you jest...

[/ QUOTE ]

Houston is a great restaurant city. For moderate-priced stuff, it's better than the Bay Area. And in all categories from cheap to fine dining, it stacks up respectably against any city.

jakethebake
02-28-2005, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Surely, you jest...

[/ QUOTE ]

At one time, Houston had more restaurants per capita than any other city in the U.S. Bound to be good eating there.

jen
02-28-2005, 03:52 PM
"Houston is a great restaurant city. For moderate-priced stuff, it's better than the Bay Area. And in all categories from cheap to fine dining, it stacks up respectably against any city. "

I grew up and lived there a couple of years of my adult life, and I heartily disagree with every aspect of that post.

Fratony
02-28-2005, 04:06 PM
Houston is the fattest city in the country according to that previously posted link. They have more FAST FOOD restaurants per capita than any other city in the country. This qualifies Houston for nothing.

holly
02-28-2005, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Vancouver BC.

Lawrence

[/ QUOTE ]

peachy
02-28-2005, 04:09 PM
actually its some place in i believe Indiana near a military base thingy that has tbe most fast food per capita now...glad i dont live there i hate the stuff

jakethebake
02-28-2005, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Houston is the fattest city in the country according to that previously posted link. They have more FAST FOOD restaurants per capita than any other city in the country. This qualifies Houston for nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a lotta great Mexican food, BBQ, steakhouses and burger joints in Houston. Real food. Not the foo foo crap some people think is great food.

jimdmcevoy
02-28-2005, 04:34 PM
Might I suggest Sydney, at least for variety.

There are craploads of restaurants here, of many types. I think this is due to the fact that we have people here from all over Asia and Europe. The only thing slightly lacking IMO is Mexican, we have some but selection is limited.

Analyst
02-28-2005, 05:32 PM
Without reading any other replies, if I could only choose one city in which to eat the rest of my life, it'd be New Orleans. Or Hong Kong. Or Paris.

Though I've never been there, if Bologna is considered the food capital of Italy it would have to merit serious consideration.

jakethebake
02-28-2005, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Without reading any other replies, if I could only choose one city in which to eat the rest of my life, it'd be New Orleans. Or Hong Kong. Or Paris.

[/ QUOTE ]
Mmmmmmmmmm......New Orleans.

[ QUOTE ]
Bologna is considered the food capital of Italy

[/ QUOTE ]
If this is true, it's hilarious!

partygirluk
02-28-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Though I've never been there, if Bologna is considered the food capital of Italy it would have to merit serious consideration.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in Bologna in the summer. It is a very nice small city. Worth a day trip, and nothing more. Food was nice, did not sample enough to make a definitive conclusion.

Ulysses
02-28-2005, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Houston is a great restaurant city. For moderate-priced stuff, it's better than the Bay Area. And in all categories from cheap to fine dining, it stacks up respectably against any city. "

I grew up and lived there a couple of years of my adult life, and I heartily disagree with every aspect of that post.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're simply wrong. I know you've spent a lot of time there, but I suspect you have not eaten out enough in Houston to make a good judgement on this. I went to high school and college in Houston, during which time I learned about all the great cheap places. Post-college I was a consultant on expenses in Houston for about a year, during which time we ate out for every single meal and got to check out the nicer places in Houston. Of the cities I've had hundreds or more restaurant meals in (San Francisco, New York, London, Atlanta, St. Louis, Denver, and Chicago), Houston definitely stacks up very well. As an overall "restaurant city" only New York is a clear favorite. From my limited experience, LA seems great as well.

Shajen
02-28-2005, 06:08 PM
I'm curious where you rank Atlanta, El D. I say the food here isn't anything special, but there are some gems to be had...they always seem to be an hours drive though. Damned city.

mmbt0ne
02-28-2005, 06:22 PM
It's only an hour drive because northside traffic sucks donkey balls. Holla back Midtown!

Shajen
02-28-2005, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's only an hour drive because northside traffic sucks donkey balls. Holla back Midtown!

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you ever actually get outside of the perimeter? Traffic blows goats all over the city /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Actually, I wouldn't mind living downtown. The house I currently live in is worth about 750k there /images/graemlins/smile.gif

MortalNuts
02-28-2005, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. I don't know when you were in Houston, or how often you ate out, but I'm quite surprised. In the years I lived there in the mid-late 90s, Houston was an almost shockingly good place for restaurant food, particularly if cost was at all a factor.

When I was in college there, a group of friends and I made it a tradition to eat out at one really spectacular meal at the end of each semester. (This was in addition to the usual set of other special occasions.) I ate at all the best restaurants in the city, some of them multiple times, and was consistently amazed at how good a meal you could get for a sane amount of money. I'm even more amazed now, after eating loads of fabulous meals in some of the world's great dining cities, how well you could eat in Houston for say $50 before wine. I've had better meals since, but most of them cost way way more than that; one of the end-of-semester dinners we had in Houston is still (years later) on my short short list of "top 5 meals I've ever had", along with places in France, Aspen, etc. -- every one of the others cost twice as much as the Houston meal.

On the lower end, I thought the everyday eating in Houston was also perfectly decent. You could get dirt-cheap Mexican/Tex-Mex that is better than that you can get most places in the US, good BBQ, decent cheap indian, etc. I ate out an average of probably 3 times a week for 4 years, so we're talking a large number of tasty meals here.

I'm not saying the place is the best dining city on the planet, but it really is remarkably good. imho, of course.

later,

mn

3rdEye
02-28-2005, 06:59 PM
Based on my limited experience, I'd have to say NYC.

Washington DC has some surprisingly good grubberies too, though. Philadelphia Pizza near Georgetown (literally at the bottom of the huge flight of steps in The Exorcist) has a badass meatball sub.

partygirluk
02-28-2005, 07:10 PM
Isn't Texas the fattest population in the World? The impression I have (almost solely from the media) is that most diners offer large plates stacked full of heart attack inducing deep fried trash.

Obviously I am very wrong. I also had the impression that Texas was mainly white, a few blacks who get poorly treated, and lots of illegal Mexicans. Are there lots of Indians/Chinese types also? How about Europeans?

mmbt0ne
02-28-2005, 07:15 PM
When I get out of the perimeter it's usually down to the south, but my dad lives up in Acworth, so I have to brave Dallas Hwy, 19/41, and the like from time to time.

riffraff
02-28-2005, 07:20 PM
I agree with this.. Chicago Pizza is unmatched anywhere. Lou Malnatis, Edwardos, and Ginos lead the way. Unos is good too and can found outside of Chicago (at least one is in the bay area).

Las Vegas is superb for food in general.

I haven't looked at who the food magazine picked.. I'll go look now.

Shajen
02-28-2005, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When I get out of the perimeter it's usually down to the south, but my dad lives up in Acworth, so I have to brave Dallas Hwy, 19/41, and the like from time to time.

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife is directing a play at the playhouse off of Main st in Acworth. From where I work at 400/85/75, it takes about 1hr 45 minutes to get to Acworth during the week. Suckage. The traffic is the only reason I'm seriously considering leaving this fair city.

hoyaboy1
02-28-2005, 07:26 PM
I'm leaving for Belgium Wednesday - good to hear about the food.

BTW, whoever said Philly Pizza in Georgetown is good is crazy.

mmbt0ne
02-28-2005, 07:30 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse ŕ:</font><hr />
My wife is directing a play at the playhouse off of Main st in Acworth. From where I work at 400/85/75, it takes about 1hr 45 minutes to get to Acworth during the week. Suckage. The traffic is the only reason I'm seriously considering leaving this fair city.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that really blows. Luckily when I was interning I had the exact oppopsite route. Drive up to Piedmont Center from Howell Mill/Northside in the morning, and drive back at night. It was great going against traffic. I hope they can figure something out to make traffic better, but if this Northern Arc/Outer Loop thing starts up, things are gonna get worse before they get better.

I think you've said this before, but do you work at the building that stretches over 400?

Some attempt to keep this on topic: I'm going to Fellini's or Mama Niki's for dinner. 2 good pizza restaurants in Atlanta that are cheap too.

Shajen
02-28-2005, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that really blows. Luckily when I was interning I had the exact oppopsite route. Drive up to Piedmont Center from Howell Mill/Northside in the morning, and drive back at night. It was great going against traffic. I hope they can figure something out to make traffic better, but if this Northern Arc/Outer Loop thing starts up, things are gonna get worse before they get better.

I think you've said this before, but do you work at the building that stretches over 400?

Some attempt to keep this on topic: I'm going to Fellini's or Mama Niki's for dinner. 2 good pizza restaurants in Atlanta that are cheap too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lindberg Center.

Ulysses
02-28-2005, 07:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm curious where you rank Atlanta, El D. I say the food here isn't anything special, but there are some gems to be had

[/ QUOTE ]

That sums it up pretty well. Atlanta has plenty of places to go that are good, but overall it's not very exciting/varied stuff and there are few places that really knock your socks off.

Duke
02-28-2005, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I suspect you have not eaten out enough in Houston

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think any of us have. Pity. It's tough to eat out too much.

Other take (though I need to ignore some words): Would you eat out a chick who just had 600 weiners in her?

~D

Ulysses
02-28-2005, 07:57 PM
I agree w/ most everything in your post. One notably omission is great Vietnamese food, both cheap and expensive varieties. And there are tons of other random foreign places ranging from Antone's po-boys to Churrasco's steak that are really good. Houston really is a great restaurant city, and when you take value into account, truly incredible.

Ulysses
02-28-2005, 07:58 PM
Are you drunk, Duke?

jakethebake
02-28-2005, 09:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The impression I have (almost solely from the media) is that most diners offer large plates stacked full of heart attack inducing deep fried trash.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's the good stuff! But there's lots of places besides diners. Did you really think the only restaurants there were diners? Hilarious that a brit has the nerve to pretend he knows anything about food. Go boil something. Oh, wait. Maybe that's my media-provided impression.

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously I am very wrong. I also had the impression that Texas was mainly white, a few blacks who get poorly treated, and lots of illegal Mexicans. Are there lots of Indians/Chinese types also? How about Europeans?

[/ QUOTE ]
Mixed bag. Lots of blacks, whites and mexicans. Lots of asians in houston.

jen
03-01-2005, 07:25 AM
I think you're nuts. (I was on my way out of the country, so my last post was a bit terse.) Houston is ranked on the bottom of my list of restaurant cities (and I'm a big Texas fan); I guess it's a matter of taste.

Yes, I was in high school there, and I later worked as a consultant in Houston for a few months. Also, I had a friend (post-college) who liked to eat at places above our means, and we did some touring of the city, courtesy of Zagat (if you're familiar with Zagat rankings, the highest ranking for food in Houston was 27/30 at the time, and restaurants 25+ were only a handful in number). Even now, when I visit my parents, we have a hard time trying to find good restaurants to have nice dinners.

Houston definitely has its share of decent, moderately-priced steak/BBQ, but not particularly exceptional, IMO. And Asian food (cheap or expensive) doesn't compare to SF, NYC, or LA by a long-shot. Of the cities that you mentioned -- "San Francisco, New York, London, Atlanta, St. Louis, Denver, and Chicago" -- I can only comment on the first three. And I find it laughable that one would categorize Houston in the SF, NY, London class of restaurant cities.

thatpfunk
03-01-2005, 07:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think any of us have. Pity. It's tough to eat out too much.

Other take (though I need to ignore some words): Would you eat out a chick who just had 600 weiners in her?

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

~P

jen
03-01-2005, 07:38 AM
"Obviously I am very wrong. I also had the impression that Texas was mainly white, a few blacks who get poorly treated, and lots of illegal Mexicans. Are there lots of Indians/Chinese types also? How about Europeans?"

Rural parts of Texas are very white (as are most rural parts of the US). Large cities like Houston have a much more diverse population (still not like SF or NY). There is a significant Asian population in Houston (primarily Chinese/Vietnamese) but not much European representation that I'm aware of (most Europeans I know prefer living on the coasts). And, yes, lots of illegals.

Chobohoya
03-01-2005, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Washington DC has some surprisingly good grubberies too, though. Philadelphia Pizza near Georgetown (literally at the bottom of the huge flight of steps in The Exorcist) has a badass meatball sub.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok look, if you go to Philly and get ANYTHING other than pizza, you're a fish. When you roll in at 3:30AM, you're supposed to get a huge, amazingly good slice of pizza, eat it standing right there, then get another one for the walk back to the dorms/your house. That's just the way it's done.

edit: It's also treasonous to fail to mention Wisemiller's Deli.... Chicken Madness is the best sandwich ever, including the Doner Kababs from that place in Berlin. I don't remember the name of it, but it's right by the Odyssey Globetrotter Hostel (Grünberger Str. 23 +49 - 30 - 29 00 00 81, odyssey@hostel-berlin.de). If you're ever around there, ask the dude at the front desk for directions and a beer.

tbach24
03-01-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Northampton, MA.

1. Three Dunkin' Donuts.
3. So much pizza.

[/ QUOTE ]

They have an Antonio's right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Antonio's is in Amherst. It's like a 30 minute drive.

InchoateHand
03-01-2005, 01:27 PM
Tapei Tokyo just [censored] rocked.

Chobohoya
03-01-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm leaving for Belgium Wednesday - good to hear about the food.

BTW, whoever said Philly Pizza in Georgetown is good is crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you have wasted your time here. You have to walk down there, not order it. If you have only gotten delivery, then I understand. But you must go down there while trashed. I recommend tonight.

hoyaboy1
03-01-2005, 04:02 PM
Good drunk food and good food are totally different. A slice of bread is [censored] awesome when I'm wasted.

3rdEye
03-01-2005, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok look, if you go to Philly and get ANYTHING other than pizza, you're a fish. When you roll in at 3:30AM, you're supposed to get a huge, amazingly good slice of pizza, eat it standing right there, then get another one for the walk back to the dorms/your house. That's just the way it's done.

edit: It's also treasonous to fail to mention Wisemiller's Deli.... Chicken Madness is the best sandwich ever, including the Doner Kababs from that place in Berlin. I don't remember the name of it, but it's right by the Odyssey Globetrotter Hostel (Grünberger Str. 23 +49 - 30 - 29 00 00 81, odyssey@hostel-berlin.de). If you're ever around there, ask the dude at the front desk for directions and a beer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had their pizza too; I just *remember* having the meatball sub.

The week I spent on campus at Georgetown isn't exactly clear in my mind.

Chobohoya
03-01-2005, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The week I spent on campus at Georgetown isn't exactly clear in my mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear you loud and clear.

Ray Zee
03-01-2005, 10:49 PM
ive eaten in lots of countries and many of the great cities of the u.s.a. great food everywhere if you took the time to find the spots.

but the best food overall is in small tourist towns in any country. there you find homegrown food selected daily from local farms and made fresh with care from people that love their resaruants rather than from people that are running them to make money.

such as whitefish and bigfork montana
threadbow australia
aspen
truckee cal.
lincon city oregon
travese city mich.
coure de lane idaho
nelson b.c.
wanaka new zealand

you get the idea

sthief09
03-01-2005, 10:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been to London 4 times and yeah the food sucks. they don't even have their own really

Nottom
03-02-2005, 12:34 AM
I really find it hard to believe that anywhere could seriously beat New York.

I mean you could say a place like Paris or Rome, but although you might get some amazing French or Italian food, I would guess you could find food comparable to all but the very best those cities would have to offer for their native cuisines in NYC but with much more variety.

Nottom
03-02-2005, 12:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I know its not gourmet but there is no better place for pizza than Chicago.

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer the stuff form NY.