PDA

View Full Version : It Says 6 New Posts, but when I click on the Thread...

Timer
02-27-2005, 04:49 PM
Let's say there is a thread I haven't read. It has 200 views and 6 replies. I come back tomorrow and it has 350 views and 14 replies, 8 of which are highlighted in red as new. So, I click on the thread and it takes me to the last group of posts instead of starting at the beginning. I haven't clicked on the thread yet, so it should just start at the beginning. Is there a change I can make to my configurations to get it to work right?

GrannyMae
02-27-2005, 05:04 PM
Is there a change I can make to my configurations to get it to work right?

no, you can't

here's the poop. the masses here asked chuck after the forum upgrade to please fix the "jump to new/unread posts" option. he did just that for us.

what happens is when you close 2+2 completely one day and enter from scratch the next day, the software will not identify the posts you did not get to read as new. therefore, the red number is the posts made since your last session.

the only solution, which i am sure is not an option for you, is literally to keep the forum open at all times. once you turn off the pc, all posts are marked as read.

i can tell you a method to starting at the beginning on longer threads if you really want to view that way..

first, leave your default at 10 posts per page (non-parent posts). if you had increased that, bring it back down to a low number. then, when a thread gets more than 9 replies it will split to 2 pages. when looking at the forum index, any thread that has gone to 2 pages will have a small 1,2,3 etc number for the pages. if you enter the thread by clicking on the small number 1, it will allow you to view from first post.

hope that helps

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/j0/lightbul.gif

Timer
02-27-2005, 09:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is there a change I can make to my configurations to get it to work right?

no, you can't

here's the poop. the masses here asked chuck after the forum upgrade to please fix the "jump to new/unread posts" option. he did just that for us.

what happens is when you close 2+2 completely one day and enter from scratch the next day, the software will not identify the posts you did not get to read as new. therefore, the red number is the posts made since your last session.

the only solution, which i am sure is not an option for you, is literally to keep the forum open at all times. once you turn off the pc, all posts are marked as read.

i can tell you a method to starting at the beginning on longer threads if you really want to view that way..

first, leave your default at 10 posts per page (non-parent posts). if you had increased that, bring it back down to a low number. then, when a thread gets more than 9 replies it will split to 2 pages. when looking at the forum index, any thread that has gone to 2 pages will have a small 1,2,3 etc number for the pages. if you enter the thread by clicking on the small number 1, it will allow you to view from first post.

hope that helps

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/j0/lightbul.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes that helps, but it brings up a question. I use other sites that implement infopop software and you can do it there the way I suggest without losing the ability to go to the newest post.

http://www.sharkyforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=9

lorinda
02-27-2005, 09:50 PM
So, I click on the thread and it takes me to the last group of posts instead of starting at the beginning

Use flat mode.

I don't even understand your question/problem but it seems that you have threaded mode set, which would be an error.

Lori

Timer
02-27-2005, 11:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So, I click on the thread and it takes me to the last group of posts instead of starting at the beginning

Use flat mode.

I don't even understand your question/problem but it seems that you have threaded mode set, which would be an error.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

I am using flat mode. The question is simple. Granny understood it. Read Granny's response.

lorinda
02-28-2005, 12:05 AM

Flat mode takes you to whichever posts you click on.

If you click on the thread instead of the number, it shows all of the posts.

Lori

lorinda
02-28-2005, 12:27 AM

Am I still on 2+2?

I've never heard of this feature and see no need for it.

For me, when I click on a thread in flat mode, I get one long series of posts with the earliest at the top and the latest at the bottom.
I then just scroll down to the point where there is a post I haven't read in the thread.

I also get the option to click numbers to just view a block of ten posts.

I don't understand the problem, because there are no individual posts to be highlighted in a different color or 'groups of posts' (other than the blocks of ten that you can access individually by choice)in my little 2+2 world.

Sorry for any confusion, I obviously have rather strange settings.

Lori

Timer
02-28-2005, 01:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Am I still on 2+2?

I've never heard of this feature and see no need for it.

For me, when I click on a thread in flat mode, I get one long series of posts with the earliest at the top and the latest at the bottom.
I then just scroll down to the point where there is a post I haven't read in the thread.

I also get the option to click numbers to just view a block of ten posts.

I don't understand the problem, because there are no individual posts to be highlighted in a different color or 'groups of posts' (other than the blocks of ten that you can access individually by choice)in my little 2+2 world.

Sorry for any confusion, I obviously have rather strange settings.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll give it one last shot. Let's say there are 75 replies in a certain thread. You've been reading along. If you click on the thread it takes you the last unread post--no problem. You don't have to start at the beginning and scroll to where you left off--if you can even remember where that is.

Now let's say you haven't been reading this thread and the next day there are 125 replies. When you click on the thread it will take you to post number 76 even though you haven't yet read post number one. Now you have to scroll (or page) back to the beginning.

Other web sites use the infopop software and don't have this problem, so I was wondering why it couldn't be used here.

I have no idea where to ask this question to get an answer so I posted it where I do most of my reading. There are so many forums here, but none for technical problems. I thought someone here might know. Guess I was wrong.

lorinda
02-28-2005, 01:22 AM
There are so many forums here, but none for technical problems. I thought someone here might know. Guess I was wrong.

This is almost always the best forum for techies.

I was trying to help by establishing what is different about your screen because I simply don't have this unread thing, it always starts me at post one whether I've not looked at the thread at all, or whether I've read it every day.

Sorry I couldn't help /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Lori

GrannyMae
02-28-2005, 07:48 PM
I've never heard of this feature and see no need for it

lori, i bet a billion you are reading it more optimal than me, but let me explain.

my preferences are flat display mode, collapsed default view. it took me forever to switch to collapsed but am thrilled i did.

anyhoo, with these settings, when you click on a thread it jumps past all the posts i have already read.

edit: if this 'jump to unread' feature is not needed, you must be doing something right. will you please tell me what you have those 2 preferences i mentioned set to? am always looking for a better way to read this forum.

GrannyMae
02-28-2005, 07:59 PM
i've sent the forum master an email to see if this can be done.

i guess we are just looking for the posts to never be marked as read only because we turned pc off. would you say that question summarizes our situation?

Timer
03-01-2005, 04:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i've sent the forum master an email to see if this can be done.

i guess we are just looking for the posts to never be marked as read only because we turned pc off. would you say that question summarizes our situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes that sounds about right. Just because you log out you shouldn't lose your settings. The software should remember your settings if you are reading the thread or not. If you're reading the thread it should take you to the next unread post, and if you haven't yet read the thread it should still take you to the next unread post, which of course would be the first post in the thread.