PDA

View Full Version : Labels on horsehead clays?

msb
02-27-2005, 03:54 PM
OK. So now that we can get the blank Horsehead clays for $.50 each at pokerchips.com, I have a question.

What would you think of affixing my own custom labels to these chips?

First... how well would they stick? How does the surface of the clay chips take to adhesive? Second... I know Jason usually recommends the paper labels with the Krylon protectant, but I'm wondering if the vinyls might be better suited for these (especially when it comes time for cleaning them with a little detergent, water and a toothbrush, as recommended)? Third... it looks like there is indeed a recessed center for applying the labels. Does anybody know if the diameter of this recess is 1"?

Thanks,
Matt

smoore
02-27-2005, 04:08 PM
It seems kind of sacreligeous to put a sticker on a clay chip but it would be a cheap way to get cusom clays. I'd say order a sample set and stick some labels on them.

SpaceMonkey9
02-27-2005, 04:11 PM
Centers are not recessed.

msb
02-27-2005, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Centers are not recessed.

[/ QUOTE ]
Really?

From the looks of this picture (from This (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1752551&page=&view=&s b=5&o=&vc=1) post), they are...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/SuitedDeuce/DSC00402.jpg

Am I seeing something wrong?

SpaceMonkey9
02-27-2005, 04:44 PM
Yes, really. They are not recessed. IMO, if you want inlays, either spring for real inlays, or get some nexgens and labels.

AZnuts
02-27-2005, 06:53 PM
I'm looking at a blank sample chip from pc.com. There's a "groove" in the mold that borders where an inlay would go, but the center portion is NOT recessed.

The photo you have is somewhat deceiving with the shadows because of that "groove".

wabe
02-27-2005, 06:53 PM
The samples I have from pokerchips.com do not have much of a recess, if any. I don't believe the labels are skinny enough to fit, but I say that without having seen samples of the labels in person.

BreakEven
02-27-2005, 06:57 PM
I also have some PC samples with and without inlays. Everyone is correct in that the center is not rececessed. Also, the surface of the horsehead mold has a textured finish that might make it more difficult for labels to stick. Inlays from PC.com are actually pressed into the body of the chip...you cannot feel the edge of the inlay.

tomb1
02-27-2005, 07:29 PM
1. To answer one of your original questions about inlay size...

The stock inlays on Horseheads are 7/8" in diameter.

The actual size of the flat area inside the "ring" is just under 1", I measure it at .985". So if you tried to put a 1" label on these, I think it would slightly overlap onto the ring and not work. You'd have to use 7/8" labels or something only slightly bigger, but less than 1".

2. As far as a recessed inlay area...

With inlaid Horseheads, the inlay is molded into the chip, flush with the surface in the middle. This middle area IS slightly recessed on each side. It's so slight that I can't get an exact measurement, but the recess is not as deep as 1/100th of an inch (I estimate it's about .005"). I think a label would rise above the surrounding rim, but you should check with your label supplier.

I don't have any blank Horseheads so I can't comment on those. But based on the pictures, they look exactly like my inlaid Horseheads, recessed a teeny tiny bit (that's the scientific term!).

Cin0s3
02-27-2005, 08:15 PM
If anyones curious the horsehead is a "ch" smaller than one inch but the one next to that has the "A" inlay is just right.

http://www.pokerchiplabels.net/samples/cps.jpg

msb
02-28-2005, 10:51 AM
Thanks, Jason... that's exactly what I was looking for!

But now having seen these, I think putting a label on the pc.com clays are probably a bad idea -- and the fact that the labels on these particular pictures are atrocious doesn't help, either (sorry, Jason /images/graemlins/smirk.gif, I know this picture is just to answer the sizing question, I know you do great work!).

Anyway... now I'm a little torn.

50 cents a chip for terrific looking clays with edge-spots but no design or double the price for the designs.

Hey Ten! What do you have cooking? I need some direction, here....