PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo nickels are back!

tek
02-27-2005, 03:20 PM
web page (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&ncid=519&e=5&u=/ap/20050227/ap_on_re_us/buffalo_nickel)

Stampede! Millions of American buffalo are headed to cash registers near you. Sixty-seven years after the government minted its last buffalo nickel, the symbol of the American West is returning to the five-cent piece.

The nickels should start showing up in stores' change drawers within a couple of weeks.

"Coin collectors have been eagerly awaiting this because it evokes the Indian head, buffalo nickel that we minted from 1913 to 1938," Fore said. "There has been a strong pent-up demand for this coin."

Now I can say I make the buffalo on the back of the nickel poop before I spend it /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Corey
02-27-2005, 03:24 PM
Why the [censored] does the (insert correct US Department here) keep on putting out these novelty coins. I mean, the state idea was kinda cool, then the Lousiana Purchase nickels were kinda fun, but it's getting old man. Can we just be normal and keep our coins the same? I'm not against changing the design of coins/bills, but I'm against putting out these concurrent releases.

Alobar
02-27-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why the [censored] does the (insert correct US Department here) keep on putting out these novelty coins. I mean, the state idea was kinda cool, then the Lousiana Purchase nickels were kinda fun, but it's getting old man. Can we just be normal and keep our coins the same? I'm not against changing the design of coins/bills, but I'm against putting out these concurrent releases.

[/ QUOTE ]

They do it for the same reason the post office comes out with butt loads of new stamps all the time. It makes them loads of cash. Because people are basically "buying" them, and taking them out of circulation, so it makes the US mint money.

The state quater thing was a stroke of marketing genius. And its also funny that people collect them, cuz any coin you get thats already in circulation is basically worthless. So there are millions of people hording quaters cuz they think its going to be worth something some day, when it never will.

wacki
02-27-2005, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Now I can say I make the buffalo on the back of the nickel poop before I spend it

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get this joke. Is there some inside secret to this?

Sooga
02-27-2005, 03:42 PM
Nah my mom collects the state quarters not because she thinks they'll be worth something someday, but just because it feels nice to have a completed collection of something. I was the same way back in the day with baseball cards.

jar
02-27-2005, 06:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So there are millions of people hording quaters cuz they think its going to be worth something some day, when it never will.

[/ QUOTE ]

They'll certainly be worth something. Probably around 25 cents.

tek
02-27-2005, 08:48 PM
The joke is that cheapskates like me squeeze their money trying not to let in go...