PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded to 1GM RAM, still some freezing, do I need a new computer?

Mizzles
02-27-2005, 03:08 PM
Hello

I'm using 1 yr old Dell Dimension 4550 w/ 1GM of RAM, 2 monitors, 4 tabling with playerview running. The system still freezes (just for a couple of seconds) at times and I still get an error from party poker "table has caused an error please restart" The error goes away when I close and restart the playerview program.

Question is I recently upgraded from 512 to 1gm of RAM, and am still having these problems.

I'm confused as to what part of the system is contributing to this the most....

Video card?
Hard drive speed?
Still not enough RAM?

I'm planning on upgrading to 6-8 tabling soon, and can only expect the problems to get worse.....

So what part of my system is the likely culprit and needs to be upgraded or do I need a new, powerhouse Dell dimension 8000 series computer with mega amounts of RAM?

Anybody playing 8 tables with playerview running without any slowing or freezing or errors? What system do you guys have?

Thanks!

tj00
02-27-2005, 03:19 PM
If I were going to guess I would say you are probably having software issues not hardware ones. I would suggest reinstalling windows before buying a new computer. I reinstall my OS about once a year.

Yeknom58
02-27-2005, 03:57 PM
Do you have the latest playerview?

And what is 1 GM of ram..tell me what the M stands for, at first I thougt it was a typo but I noticed you used it all over your post...

obeythekitten
02-27-2005, 04:02 PM
reinstall windows, i'm 100% sure you installed some garbage on your machine (spyware or otherwise) that is [censored] everything up

Nightwish
02-27-2005, 04:56 PM
The latest PlayerView (0.966) seems to be significantly slower than the previous version (0.96). I have an AMD FX-55 CPU with 2 GB of RAM, and though my machine doesn't stall, I can still feel a 1-2 second slowdown (the mouse starts moving very slowly) when PlayerView is updating. Whatever that program is doing, it's doing it very inefficiently.

JackWilson
02-27-2005, 05:19 PM
Have you tried using GT+ instead of Playerview?

Mizzles
02-27-2005, 07:20 PM
Sorry, I meant GB not GM of ram, I don't know what I was thinking!!

I recently did re-install windows.... still the same slowing

How important is the video card and video card RAM for this purpose?

wonderwes
02-28-2005, 04:49 AM
This could all be an issue of drivers. I had one sound card in windows with the default microsoft driver, and it kept crashing XP. It could easily be the sound card.

Now is the computer randomly crashing or locking up. When you reinstall windows did you do a complete format of the hard drive? Do you have all the service packs entered? How hot is your machine getting? Any error messages at all? Could you have a bad sector on your hard drive?

BusterStacks
02-28-2005, 04:52 AM
ONE GIGAMEMORY!!1 duh...

NateDog
02-28-2005, 10:34 AM
If you don't know how to clean up your PC, go here (http://www.windowsreinstall.com/) . Windows reinstaller.

Nate