PDA

View Full Version : Was This The Right Play?

dELTAnEUTRAL
02-27-2005, 02:35 PM
Scenario:

I’m in the second round of a tournament -

I’m dealt Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif in the pocket

Everyone else folds, except for the chipleader at our table. He and I both call the BB to see the flop. I notice the chipleader is getting more aggressive and vocal in the past few minutes (chiplead can do that to a guy!)

Flop: Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif , 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif

At this point, I’ve got QQ – considering blinds 10K/20K and are going up and I'm small stack (about 190K) – I decide to go all in to be aggressive and push him off whatever he has - I have about half his stack.

– and the chipleader calls me.

Turn: 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

River: 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif

On the Showdown, I have two pair – Q,Q and 5,5

Chipleader shows a low Straight A, 2, 3, 4, 5 – he caught the Straight on the River.

Here's what I think:

An Analysis of Outs:

His Outs:

- Pick up an Ace = 3 Outs [pair of aces]
- Pick up a Five = 3 Outs less the one I have = 2 Outs [straight]
Total Outs = 5 therefore he has 20.3% chance of winning the hand after the flop with two cards to come.

My Outs:

- Pick up another Queen = 2 Outs [trip queens]
- Pick up another Two = 3 Outs [two pair Q,2]
- Pick up another Four = 3 Outs [two pair Q,4]

Total Outs = 8 therefore I have a 31.5% of winning the hand after the flop with two cards to come.

Therefore, even with the admittedly poor Q,5 in the pocket - I made the right play... any comments all? am I correct?

** all percentages from http://www.freepokerstrategy.braveh...oddschance.html

random
02-27-2005, 04:14 PM
Do I win the other 50% of the time?

use www.twodimes.net (http://www.twodimes.net) to figure out pot equity.

dELTAnEUTRAL
02-27-2005, 05:32 PM
Postscript:

I ran the hands on a Hold'em Hand Calculator - the results showing probability of winning the hand (pot equity) were as follows (winner in bold):

Preflop:
Me-42% Chipleader-58%
Flop:
Me-77% Chipleader-23% - I went ALL IN at this point
Turn:
Me-86% Chipleader-14%
River:
Me-0% Chipleader-100%

As you can see - I had a 77% probability of winning post flop - hence I still believe I made the right decision - and I just got rivered - what do you folks think?