PDA

View Full Version : Going wireless...what do buy, what to know?

Insp. Clue!So?
02-27-2005, 02:28 PM
So if I'm gonna upgrade, why not do away with all those nasty wires etc?

The question is, what's the best equipment, how much more will it cost me, and what else does a dual-monitor multitabler need to know? TIA...

wonderwes
02-28-2005, 04:54 AM
Linksys all the way. Linksys is made by Cisco, which pretty much explains the quality of the product.

Get a 54g wireless. Make sure it can also do B. Try to find a quality place to put your Access Point so it can broadcast, and make sure to install a password on your router, and even WEP encryption to make sure no one can be using your wireless internet from outside your house.

astroglide
02-28-2005, 01:01 PM
linksys got acquired by cisco. it doesn't mean cisco's engineers went back in time and created linksys' products.

Bubu
02-28-2005, 01:34 PM
Let's talk about security. Supposibly current wireless standards are pretty weak. But its better than nothing ! One of the sweetest advantages of ogoing wireless is working from a cafe o in a park (university campus with wireless coverage). There is no encryption there. Is there anyway if protecting yourself from theft of sensitive information (poker site passwords) ?

Bubu

astroglide
02-28-2005, 01:42 PM
WPA with a max-length, at least semi-random password is fine for now in terms of security. WEP is what sucks.

Tboner7
02-28-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Linksys all the way. Linksys is made by Cisco, which pretty much explains the quality of the product.

Get a 54g wireless. Make sure it can also do B. Try to find a quality place to put your Access Point so it can broadcast, and make sure to install a password on your router, and even WEP encryption to make sure no one can be using your wireless internet from outside your house.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got one of those, but I lose the signal fairly often. I even bought larger antennas and it didn't help. I had my laptop inches away from the router and it wasn't picking up anything. And its not just my laptop, my desktop does the same.

Wyers
02-28-2005, 04:12 PM
I'm currently running a wireless network with US Robotics gear. Computer upstairs in my office is hardwired to the router and PC downstairs uses a wireless connection.

From my experience, avoid NETGEAR products. I bought their router and card on sale - returned them days later. Connectivity problems - nothing worse than holding AA UTG when "Attempting to Establish Connection" comes flashing across the poker client.

Actually, if you do a "Search", you will find several threads with tons of info.

anisotropy
02-28-2005, 04:42 PM
That's funny. I would recommend almost the opposite. I have had nothing but great success with Netgear products, both wired and wireless routers and cards. I would highly recommend them.

grouchie
02-28-2005, 11:28 PM
i've been running my netgear wireless system now for awhile, 3 computers running off of it and I have not had any problems.

There was one time where i got a bit lagged and had the "attempting to connect" message or whatever it is, come up. But it was only once and I was downloading and doing other stuff at the same time. Hell, all 3 computers might have been going at it for all I know.

But, from my experience thus far I would definately recommend Netgear.

Bubu
03-01-2005, 01:19 AM
I do use passphrase WPA at home. The problem is when one is travelling, say hotels or working in the local cofeeshop. That's what i got the laptop i the first place for...

fooz
03-01-2005, 01:22 AM
Anybody know who makes the wireless cards in the Dell Inspiron's? I have the 1350 card. It works great!

I have a linksys card, less than 6 months old, in my desktop, that SUX!

On the same wireless network same distance from the router, my Linksys card will disconnect every 5 minutes for about 5 to 10 seconds and then reconnect. The dell card will stay connected for hours without a glitch.

pokerraja
03-01-2005, 01:30 AM
i bought the netgear 108mpbs router. it works awesome. it has b and g compatibility. great range. ive never been disconnected yet. and its idiot proof to set up.

astroglide
03-01-2005, 02:09 AM
coffeeshops and the like are not secured, but you don't have a personal network to break into. don't do any sensitive stuff and run a firewall on your wireless adapter and you'll be fine.

wonderwes
03-01-2005, 07:21 AM
Amazing even though there is a protocol standard for WiFi, some wireless NICs dont like some wireless routers. Static/Noise could always be an issue with disconnects. I personally dislike my netgear, I think its a crappy router. Though my dell wireless card is also flaky on my laptop. Always update your drivers on your wireless NIC and upgrade the firmware on your router.

Usually same brand nic cards and routers will run into less problems.

alabubba
03-01-2005, 07:31 AM
I've been a using D-Link wireless router and their cards for some time with nary a problem. Set-up and configuration has been about as much of a no-brainer as it could be.