PDA

View Full Version : QJs in the small blind

pokerjunky
02-27-2005, 12:59 PM
Absolute Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, CO checks.

River: (6.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, CO folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

With this type of hand, I think I'm going to start check raising mid or late position bettors more often against this many players to get rid of the overcards and gutshots or even dump this hand if there's a lot of action.

Anybody like this line better?

PokeHer
02-27-2005, 01:11 PM
Well, with no reads, you cant really put him on T4 or Q4 from the CO. So, I do not like the river fold. The only hands I can see him raising the flop with are AJ, KJ, JT, KQ, Q9, 98, 44 and maybe QJ. Given the turn action, it seems like the A was a scare card or did not hit is draw. This limits his hands to: KJ, Q9, 98, and QJ. I call the river raise against an unknown because if my possible hands are correct, you win 50% of the time, and chop 50%

pokerjunky
02-27-2005, 01:18 PM
Please note that the river raiser was not the flop raiser.

sthief09
02-27-2005, 01:33 PM
raise preflop, and always be suspicious of last position raises on coordinated boards. that raise screams free card play. 3-bet him

oh, and raise preflop. it's fun

spydog
02-27-2005, 01:35 PM
Since nobody raised preflop, I like to lead this flop and 3-bet if I get raised. You are likely to have the best hand and you want to face UTG and MP1 with 2 cold. Why did you just call the flop raise?

afk
02-27-2005, 01:52 PM
I'd definitely 3bet the flop and probably would have raised preflop.

Carmine
02-27-2005, 01:54 PM
In most cases I would 3-bet this on the flop to get it HU and clean everything up. Let's get all the gutshots and Ax, Kx out of the picture. You may even get CO to fold.
The only question mark for me on this hand is the pot size. Do we want to go to war against the possible KJ here. I know some 2'er's would have raised PF and that would have helped your cause here(pot big enough to fight over)I'm not convinced a poor position raise with QJs is +EV at this stage of my poker career.

C/R the flop is good if you could be fairly certain CO would auto-bet. Checked through would be bad though so maybe the safest/best play is bet/3-bet the flop.

pokerjunky
02-27-2005, 03:03 PM
Anybody in favor of check raising a late bettor on the flop to better protect this hand?

Turtle
02-27-2005, 10:33 PM
I don't think you can safely try a check raise on the flop.

With no preflop raises, you have no idea where a flop bet will come from. Bet comes from UTG -- what do you do next?

Betting the flop clears out garbage overcards and makes sure KQ and 89 can't get a free card on you.

And if you do happen to get raised on the end, a reraise puts the rest of field in a bad place.

Nice hand to talk about.

Chris Daddy Cool
02-27-2005, 11:15 PM
3-bizzle the flop. it'll change the complexion of the hand.

ewile
02-27-2005, 11:37 PM
I think that you need to pay one more bet and show this down.
I'd rather take an aggressive approach to this hand like:

Pre-flop: fine
Flop: 3 bet
Turn: Bet out. If you get raised you can seriously consider laying it down. (See HEPFAP, p. 139 Important 4th Street Concepts

I really dislike the river fold here.