PDA

View Full Version : Ranking system for home games

Hung
02-27-2005, 11:53 AM
Hello,

I'd like to start a ranking system for our members. I have a weekly homegame.
On the membersection of our website we have profiles of each player. Some players have x stars. I gave the stars. I gave myself 4 stars. Which is stupid, because I'm by far not the best player. So I want to start a honest ranking system. We're all playing different levels. Some play cent game and other play 1€-2€. How could I make a good system to give every player of each level points?

We will also play regular tournaments. So I want to be able to give players points for ring game and tournaments.
Does anyone has any experience with this?

Thanks.

Bulldog
02-27-2005, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hello,

I'd like to start a ranking system for our members. I have a weekly homegame.
On the membersection of our website we have profiles of each player. Some players have x stars. I gave the stars. I gave myself 4 stars. Which is stupid, because I'm by far not the best player. So I want to start a honest ranking system. We're all playing different levels. Some play cent game and other play 1€-2€. How could I make a good system to give every player of each level points?

We will also play regular tournaments. So I want to be able to give players points for ring game and tournaments.
Does anyone has any experience with this?

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Search.

Hung
02-27-2005, 02:01 PM
done

Lottery Larry
02-28-2005, 10:33 AM
"Done"

And, you didn't find anything? Or your question is answered?

There have been several threads on points systems in this forum. If you search on my name, you should find some of them. Check the recent archives as well (Older Archives link, then the link at the top for the more current archives)

dabluebery
02-28-2005, 10:50 AM
I do a bunch of things. I never totally ignore the dollar figures. Amount won / lost usually comprises at least 20% of the rating. I also grab a bunch of statistics from the game stats, like "rank," which figures out a person's relative position to everyone else playing in the game. Those are basically the ring game stats.

For tournaments, I do a few things. Use ROI, which will ignore the actual dollar figures. In tandem, give players points for cashing and winning tournaments. In a ten person tourney that pays 3 and has 1 winner, every player should have .1 wins, and .3 cashes per tournament. Figure out their "expected" cashes and wins, and then do something with that. You could also give players some additional credit for placing near the top of the tournament, use "rank," to do this, too.

Just some ideas. It's not something that's terribly difficult to throw together in an excel spreadsheet. PM me for some more ideas / concepts. The diehards in this forum are right, this has been discussed 1000 times.

Rob

Hung
02-28-2005, 11:26 AM
And, you didn't find anything? Or your question is answered?

There have been several threads on points systems in this forum. If you search on my name, you should find some of them. Check the recent archives as well (Older Archives link, then the link at the top for the more current archives)

Hey Larry thanks for your help. I'll do a search on your name. I did a search but couldn't find any good stuff. It will be easier to look when people tell you where.

I know there're a searchbutton.
The bulldog guy made it look like I didn't search at all. He gave a stupid answer so I kept it short /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

In the Zoo, people always send the noobs to the search page. The regular posters are sick of hearing the same question again and again. But we shouldn't forget that for most of the reader, this is new.

Anyway, thanks Larry

Hung
02-28-2005, 11:29 AM
Hey Bob, thanks for your reply.
I've been thinking about this for a couple of days.

Maybe I should give each dollar one point. So if someone wins $50 he gets 50 points. The only problem is that a micro player could never beat a highroller. And there're some very strong micro limit players. They deserve a higher ranking. How should I solve this?

Lottery Larry
02-28-2005, 11:30 AM
Yeah, that Bulldog guy is a real jerk.... and he has the worst taste in pink outfits, you wouldn't believe it. :P

Lottery Larry
02-28-2005, 11:34 AM
I posted my point system in the past, but to save you some time:

POINTS Tourneys of 4 or less get 10 points, +10 1st place
10 Bottom 1/2 of non-cash
15 Top 1/2 of non-cash (Bubble +2)
20 Cash place prize winners
25 3rd (-5 for 3 places paid, -10 if 2)
35 2nd (-5 for 3 places paid, -10 if 2)
45 1st (-5 for 3 places paid, -10 if 2)

Points are not cumulative- bubble gets 17, cashing gets 20, etc.

I wanted a simpler system, I didn't think the number of players should have too much of an effect and I didn't think the cost should have ANYTHING to do with the rankings. Plus I wanted to encourage participation (because without players, there are no tourney winners) and tourney winners get enough reward from the cash.

BTW, what is Belgium Poker?

Hung
02-28-2005, 11:56 AM
BTW, what is Belgium Poker?
How do you mean what is Belgium poker? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Poker Club Belgium is a club in Belgium (Europe)
Here is our website: http://www.pokerclub.be
we're just a group of players. It's like LA pokerclub for example.

dabluebery
02-28-2005, 12:49 PM
I have the same problem. To gauge the "stakes" of a game, I usually find the difference between the most won, and the most lost. Usually, it's around $100. However, some of our games have been smaller stakes, ($20 spread), and some have been higher ($200 or more). So I use the actual dollar figures, but they're only about 20% of the value for someone's statistics. I also factor how well they did in the game (rank) 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th....., and how well they did relative to the person who lost the most money. These stats account for the remaining 80% of someone's ranking.

Rob

Fins
02-28-2005, 01:14 PM
Some other thoughts/options here (http://tinyurl.com/3mq6q).

- Fins

RPMick
03-01-2005, 06:06 AM
I take it you're not running tournaments but instead, limit games.

I'd suggest big bets/hour.

Takes the table stakes out of it.

-Ryan