PDA

View Full Version : My heads-up skills are weak. Coming in 2nd too much.

octaveshift
02-27-2005, 11:22 AM
I get to final 3 in $5+1 PP SNGs quite often, and it's usually with standard flat-out aggression in late stages. I think I need to dial it back when I get HU. Here is an example.

1. Should I check the flop here with middle pair? (I wouldn't think so.)

2. If I raise, how much? (My all-in was horrible. I think I put too much weight on my overcard.)

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (2 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB (t4175)
Hero (t3825)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
Hero calls t200, BB checks.

Flop: (t800) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t3775 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls t3425 (All-In).

Turn: (t8000) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: (t8000) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t8000

pokerlaw
02-27-2005, 11:31 AM
Bet the pot, or if atmosphere of the game has been such that a half pot (t400 in this case) bet will get a fold if your opponent doesn't have anything, do that. btw, you should know what size bet will get your opponent to fold rags by this point in the tourney.

octaveshift
02-27-2005, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you should know what size bet will get your opponent to fold rags by this point in the tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good point. I am sure this will help enormously. Thank you!

applejuicekid
02-27-2005, 01:44 PM
What about an all in preflop?

Scuba Chuck
02-27-2005, 02:43 PM
I think the phrase is "bet middle pair, like it's top pair." Not call middle pair. Although, it can be successful. Chip stacks are a little too even for me to call this though. Keep working.

Big Limpin'
02-27-2005, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I get to final 3 [...] with standard flat-out aggression in late stages. I think I need to dial it back when I get HU.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you re-read this, you must see the contradiction. In general, you are best playing MORE agressive.

As to the HH, on that flop, you take your hand to be the best until told differntly. Kickers arent an issue, and overcard is only 3 more outs. Play the hand as what it is. 2nd button. Villians random hand flops TOP pair, what, 1 time in 10 (guess?).

Im not sure im getting the HH right, it shows villian pushes flop as first action. In that case, i fold.

Your question, "should i check?" leads me to believe that villian checks to hero on the flop. In that case, you should BET, as you are likely holding the best hand. How much to bet? I think pushing would win whats in the pot (not much) most of the time, but if he has a top pair, you lose your whole stack.

I'd suggest betting minbet*2, which is also the size of the pot here, because no raises preflop.

This bet might be enough to take the pot , and may be called be worse hands / weak draws. That is always what you want to achieve, especially heads-up.If villian has TPWK or better, he will let you know.