PDA

View Full Version : My dad's generation had the best music

fimbulwinter
02-27-2005, 06:32 AM
hate to say it, but there's not much my generation can claim to have made that won't be forgotten in a decade. Maybe something like alicia keys or jay z's early stuff will pass the test of time, but i doubt it

bands and musicians from the late 60's/early70's are just so damn good that I think I'll still be listening to them when I'm my dad's age.

maybe this whole "just say no" thing has had unforseen reprocussions.

fim

JaBlue
02-27-2005, 06:48 AM
The 90's rivals the 80's for worst decade music-wise in the latter half of the 20th century.

4thstreetpete
02-27-2005, 06:54 AM
I'll have to agree with you guys on this. All this crap that we have now will be forgotten in the near future. You know it's bad when even Justin Timberlake says he's disappointed at the state of the music industry today. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who feels this way.
The stuff that we have now is so terribe that I haven't listened to anything mainstream for the last few years.

dsm
02-27-2005, 08:12 AM
I think Van Halen's first few albums have and will continue to stand the test of time. Also, I think Soundgarden will be heard many years to come via 'Classic Rock' stations (will fit nicely no doubt).

Matchbox Twenty, good chance? Maybe.

Madonna? (Even though I'd like to think of her being totally forgotten at some point, she did have a ton of hits. But will that be enough?.)

Whitney Houston? Here's another one with a ton of hits. I'd really like to see her fade into oblivion, especially after she seriously compared herself to The Beatles! (Hey Whitney, guess what? The Beatles actually wrote 99.8% of their songs. Plus they wrote songs that became hits for other bands that they could have kept for themselves.)

-dsm

daveymck
02-27-2005, 08:18 AM
Popular music maybe but certainly from my musical tastes no.

MelK
02-27-2005, 08:19 AM
The music video and celebrity/PR culture killed much of the quality in music.

Now songs get played for a good video, or because of the "artist" is a cute girl (who may not be able to sing), or because the artist has an "attitude" and cutting edge lyrics.

I avoid thinking about the artist or watching any videos or concert footage. Quality of listening pleasure is what should matter.

Before the 1980s the relative lack of technology coincided with the need to produce quality music to succeed. Today I am sure there is good music out there, but you can't listen to it because it is pushed off the radio by the PR promoted trash.

Jack of Arcades
02-27-2005, 01:42 PM
We are in the golden age of all media. Resources are out there that mean anyone can make an album or movie, etc.

However, this means you can't just tune into the radio station to find music, or turn on HBO to find movies. You have to dig a bit to find something. But there's something out there for everyone.