PDA

View Full Version : Once Again

Djangopoker
02-27-2005, 02:27 AM
I started seriously playing about 7 months ago and have once again lost my initial buy in-100 bucks. I think this is my 6th so I've lost 600 playing 5 and 10 dollar Sng's. The most I've made is aroung 400 or so off of 1 buy in but in the end I lose it all.

I'm hoping some 2 +2 ers can give me some bad start stories before I quit for good and stop giving you all my money...

KidNapster
02-27-2005, 04:24 AM
Have you ever been to Kwitcherbichen? I'd recommend visiting it before you buyin again. Once you're there, buy a Pint of Reality. After doing that it's time to figure out what you're doing wrong and learn some basic concepts that you apparently don't know yet based on the post you've made above. Losing $600 playing $5 and $10 SNGs isn't a bad start, it's a cry for help.

TheAmp
02-27-2005, 05:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm hoping some 2 +2 ers can give me some bad start stories before I quit for good and stop giving you all my money...

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need any stories. Instead, I would suggest you ask yourself what is wrong with your game.

Where are your leaks?

Do you go on tilt?

Are you scared to "gamble"?

Is it tough for you to make decisions under pressure?

If you can't answer these questions, then it's the end of the "story", as far as poker is concerned.

yeau2
02-27-2005, 07:26 AM
Ok, I think you need to look at 4 things before you cash in again:

1) When you start to win (build up to the 400 you talked about), do you take more chances, try to push people around, etc, and all of a sudden find yourself getting knocked out in early levels?

2) Are you playing more than 1 sit n go at a time? If you are maybe its too much, or perhaps just the opposite, 1 bores you too much and you fall into the trap of deciding to play that Q10o to a small raise in early position 1st level. Early decisions may not seem like much but over the long haul in these types of sit n goes postflop play can hurt you.

3) Are you 'overthinking' you competition? I mean, are you making good bets into a one-card-straight or flush board and the opposition calls with two pair? If you get frustrated very easily by a small losing streak because of these things...I know it might seem crazy, but maybe you should be cashing in slightly more (say, $200-$300) and playing $33 sit n goes at a much slower rate.

4) Lastly, I think someone else said tilt, but I believe thats the most important factor to being able to beat sngs over the long haul. If your booking mildly-long sessions (4-5 hrs) at a time, note to yourself if you can shrug off the 3 4th place finishes you just had and still play the coming sit n go the same as all the others.

But it sounds like you didnt even want any advice, you just wanted bad start stories. So I started playing poker as no limit with my friends. Needless to say after my NL bankroll had grown to about 600 dollars I played online a little and won another 100 or so. Up a fair amount I decide to come with my friend to play the 5/10 limit games that are run in Clevland every weekend. I go 4 weekends in 2 months. I lost 700 dollars in 2 months. Moral of the story? Somtimes you can't win no matter what you do, but I think the most important is to make realizations about your game. If you can't handle losing, pokers not for you. Also, I think the best thing you can do is get another poker player to watch you play 4 or 5 sit n goes. Taking criticism/acclaim from him well help you learned game become better.

elonkra
02-27-2005, 09:36 AM
I agree w/the others. You don't need a story to make you feel better about your losses. You need to tighten up and play/call fewer hands. I'm pretty sure I'm way too weak-tight (I'm a rookie compared to most of the people on here) and I still manage to win money just by playing tight.

wkoch
02-27-2005, 01:35 PM
I am not sure what you may be doing but sounds like you're too loose. I am new to this also (about 5 months SNG's) and play at a much lower buy in (2+.50) so not sure if that level even compares but I'm about 54% ITM 34% ROI. Follow Aleo's formulatic approach (to the letter) and you should be good. Another thought maybe someone else with more experience can expound on, is $100 enough bankroll to play at 10's and 5's?

Poker Junkie

Hagrid
02-27-2005, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Follow Aleo's formulatic approach (to the letter) and you should be good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can someone link me to this please, it keeps getting mentioned and I have been trying to find it through a search but i cant as I dont know the proper title of the post.

Thanks.

dfscott
02-27-2005, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Follow Aleo's formulatic approach (to the letter) and you should be good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can someone link me to this please, it keeps getting mentioned and I have been trying to find it through a search but i cant as I dont know the proper title of the post.

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll find that and lot of other good info here (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=844952&page=&view=&sb=5&o =&fpart=1&vc=1).

Hagrid
02-27-2005, 02:10 PM
Thanks very much dfscott.