PDA

View Full Version : should I have bet the turn?

Casey
09-13-2002, 09:38 AM
4-8
I am 3UTG and dealt pocket 10s. There is a live straddle. Folded to me and I three bet, 2 late position call, sb folds, bb calls, straddle raises and I cap. Everyone calls. I have got no clue as to what anyone has.

Flop comes 10-8-3 with two diamonds, staddle bets I raise, and everyone calls. Go figure. Turn comes 8. I have a full house and fully expect this to be the best hand right now. Straddle checks, I check, everyone else checks. Check raising opportunity gone, but I still think that I am safe. I don't think that anyone has a pp bigger than tens because there was only my raise on the flop. River is a third eight. Checked to me, I bet, everyone folds but the straddler who calls. he shows AK. I win but I think a couple less bets than I should have.

My question is with the pot this big , did I make a mistake by not betting out on the turn. In hindsight, it seems to me that I did. Any legitimate draws have got to stay in and I probably lost some bets.

Uston
09-13-2002, 10:33 AM
Yes, you should bet the turn. You only have two opponents to act behind you and both called three bets cold before the flop. That means that unless they're really loose, they don't have an 8 (and if, by chance, they do have a hand like A8s, they'll raise you, allowing you to re-raise). Plus, there's only one ten left. Plus, they should know they're up against four opponents, with at least one of them having a very big hand so a semibluff here with a diamond or straight draw would be both unlikely and horrible. If they're cold calling flop raises with overcards, you can count on at least two of them calling the turn with overcards. Give them one last chance to pay you.

davidross
09-13-2002, 10:58 AM
You have to bet the turn. Anyone with a remote hope at this pot is calling you now, but who will bet it for you?

Homer
09-13-2002, 12:27 PM
I would bet the turn here. The pot is very large, so many players will chase, despite the fact that they are most likely drawing dead. Plus, someone with an 8 may raise you, and you can start a nice little raising war. Basically, a lot of good can come out of betting in this situation, and not much good can come out of checkraising.

09-13-2002, 12:51 PM
You raise the flop, the turn brings a scary card that does not help the flush draws or overcards. Unless one of the two 8s are out there, or the turn 8 was a diamond (It's unclear what the flop suits are) I can't think of any hand that someone might bet, and I do not feel confident that someone would necessarily bet the 8.

I think you would be better to bet and hope the 8 is out and wants to test your hand. I would rather be three bet than risk a free card. Make the flush draws pay dearly to draw dead to your boat.