PDA

View Full Version : Somewhat to new to regular play at 10+1 SG

callmedonnie
02-27-2005, 12:28 AM
I've read several poker books and got to the point where I felt more comfortable playing online. I have been playing SG (sometimes 2,sometimes 6) in a day depending on free time. I deposited 110 (11 SG) and have gone up to 300 twice, but always inevitably fall back down to the low 2's. Today I had an exceptionally rough day where I couldn't win a race or hit a hand.

My ROI% is at 15.44, a considerable drop from yesterday. However I only have played 62 SG's all together. I know I am not playing perfect poker, but this a bad swing. What I want to know is are there any experienced SG players who have experienced this? I am playing sober, without distractions. I know today I just had a bad day but I would like to know standards I should set for myself as I take this seriously.

obex
02-27-2005, 01:30 AM
Two things:
1. An ROI > ~20 is great for a beginner at this level (10+1).
2. Your ROI will fluctuate greatly for the first 500+ games. So don't overanalyze your limited data. Just keep collecting it.

yeau2
02-27-2005, 07:43 AM
As a general rule the consensus seems to be that 500 sit n goes is a good measure of how well you could do sit n goes over the long haul.

However, it sounds like you won't be playing up to that for quite some time. I'd say try to get to 200 sngs under you belt: Look at your roi then and see where your at. Also, for each sit n go I think its helpful to write down how you were knocked out. Just a brief description, perhaps in a excel sheet adjacent to what place you finished in for each sng. Are you finding yourself bad beated out of most tournaments? Or are you finding yourself too often on the bad side of a 60/40 to get knocked out.
It sounds like sealing up a few leaks like this could turn your game from mildly profitable to a consistent winner, like many on this forum have done. Hope this helps, good luck.

pokerlaw
02-27-2005, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am playing sober

[/ QUOTE ]

what's that like? jk, kindof. But here is a story - I had a buddy log on to my account the other night and he sat down at a $100 sit and go (i stick to $10 and $20 personally). He was quite hammered (drunk, stoned, etc..) and making extremely anti 2+2 (or ever rationale, we all thought) decisions. He finished first, with only one lucky beat (JJ took out QQ w four remaining). luck masking as skill? possibly, but it make me wonder.