PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when you flop a monster draw??

balt999
09-13-2002, 02:00 AM
This hand is from my PP 2-4 session:

I'm in SB with 5c3c. 3 Limpers in front. I throw a dollar to complete the bet...BB checks. 2 of the players are average, and two are weak. 5 see the flop:

*** FLOP *** : [ 4c 6d Jc ]

There's a monster draw for me!! I bet out...everyone folds to the CO, who's and average player, he raises...button folds...With it being heads up and with 15 outs..I decided to 3 bet...CO calls. I wanted to put as much money in the pot as I could knowing I had 2 cards to come to hit one of my 15 outs.

*** TURN *** : [ 2c ]

Completing my flush and my straight at the same time..I didn't want to get cute and attempt a check-raise...I rarely check-raise when I'm heads up..unless I'm absolutely sure I would get a bet. The CO calls.

*** RIVER *** : [ 3d ]

I bet again...CO Calls....I win with my flush...and 5 BB. probably as much as I could get.

As far as 3 betting the flop..I will usually 3 bet and sometimes cap the flop if I get a monster draw even with there are a lot of players left...I believe in getting as much money in the pot as possible....

Comments?

Mason Malmuth
09-13-2002, 04:33 AM
Poker is more complex than "I have the best hand therefore I will get as much money as possible in on the flop." Suppose you play it slow and the pot is now short handed after the flop betting. If a blank comes, you might have a good hand to check raise semi-bluff. Sticking to hard and fast rules withour regard to who you are against, the exact board, and the betting, will not maximize your possible winnings in the long run.

MM

anatta
09-13-2002, 04:34 AM
I would play it the same way since you are better than even money to make a flush or a straight by the river, and your opponent may fold a hand that can't stand the heat. Headup or multiway, I am generally raising big draws like this.

hutz
09-13-2002, 01:32 PM
Depending on your opponents, a checkraise might work well here if you expect the bet to come from your immediate left. If, instead, a late person bets, you can simply call and set yourself up for a checkraise semi-bluff if a blank hits, consistent with Mason's analysis.