PDA

View Full Version : Omaha Books?

jojobinks
02-26-2005, 08:44 PM
What books are good for studying Omaha? As usual, i know i should use search, and i tried, but only turned up flames of TJ's book.

i know nothing except the rules, what i've read from ppltp (i know, it's terrible) and about 2 hours of play at home. i want to tighten up my game and learn some starting hand standards and get good enough to feel good about playing in a cash game at a friends.

Hook me up, guys!

DyessMan89
02-26-2005, 09:15 PM
The Omaha and Omaha/8 sections of SSII are decent. Theres really not many good books on Omaha at this moment.

slickscottie
02-26-2005, 09:37 PM
I'm reading cappelletti's high low book and it is really helping my game. I just started playing .50 -1.00. I am doing fairly well and having a little fun. I was really getting bored of hold-em. High low has really recharged my poker batteries. I have read in the omaha section that ray zee's book is best.

CurryLover
02-26-2005, 11:55 PM
For Pot Limit Omaha -

Bob Ciaffone: Omaha Hold'em Poker
Bob Ciaffone and Stuart Reuben: Pot Limit and No Limit Poker
Stuart Reuben: How good is your pot limit Omaha?
Dr Mahmood N. Mahmood: The science of poker
Doyle Brunson: Super System II (chpater by Lyle Berman)

For Limit Omaha High/Low -

Ray Zee's: High Low Split poker
Doyle Brunson: Super System II (chapter by Bobby Baldwin)
Mike Cappelletti: How to win at Omaha High-Low poker
Tenner and Krieger: Winning Omaha/8 poker

Both Ciaffone books are essential readingif you play PLO, as is Zee's book if your game is High/low split. Reuben's book is quite good if you like hand quizzes. Dr Mahmood's book is worth buying just for the maths bits. The new Super System has been heavily criticised on these forums. Despite this, I think the PLO section is good for a beginner and is easy to read. Same for the Omaha High Low split section. Cappelletti's book is ok, not great. Tenner and Krieger's book seems to be quite poor, but I've not finished reading it yet.

Beavis68
02-27-2005, 07:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What books are good for studying Omaha? As usual, i know i should use search, and i tried, but only turned up flames of TJ's book.

i know nothing except the rules, what i've read from ppltp (i know, it's terrible) and about 2 hours of play at home. i want to tighten up my game and learn some starting hand standards and get good enough to feel good about playing in a cash game at a friends.

Hook me up, guys!

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, Phil's Omaha sections are great places to start.

The only advice of his I don't like is he plays AAxx too fast in the PLO section.

PJS
02-27-2005, 08:38 PM
I agree with all the books mentioned. By the way, the only place I managed to find the Bob Ciaffone book (in stock) "Omaha Poker: the action game" was in the Las Vegas Gamblers Bookstore. It came spiral bound. Cost $16 Here is the link:

http://www.gamblersbook.com/weblink.cby/detail/525401.html

betgo
02-27-2005, 11:41 PM
I personally think TJ's book is one of the best. There are some of the usual weak/tight comments to ignore. The analysis of starting hands and flops is good. There is also interesting discussion various plays that can be made.

JohnG
03-04-2005, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Both Ciaffone books are essential reading if you play PLO

[/ QUOTE ]

Improve your poker is another of his books that is required reading for PLO.