PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when you don't get any cards?

DaffyDuck
02-26-2005, 08:22 PM
OK. I'd like to get a dialog going.

You're card dead. It's the middle of a SNG. Not desperate yet but below average, 8 to 12 BBs left. Blinds are starting to get up there. Haven't played many hands but you aren't really sure if the table even notices that. Typical low buy-in affair with some loosey gooseys that are seeing a lot of flops and moving money around the table between them. Some of them have much bigger stacks then you.

You are beginning to think your only chance is to wait for a good hand, but ain't none been comin. You're afraid that if you wait much longer you will have to showdown any hand you play.

So, what situations do you play without regard to your cards? Pretend you can't see them. When would you play?

I'll start with a couple I think:

Folded to you on the button, maybe in CO. You raise/push regardless assuming you have a tight image and haven't stolen too much

Folded to SB, he completes, you are in BB and raise/push

So, what about:

MP with a tight limper? In the BB with a couple loose limpers? Reraise a min raise? From a loose player or a tight player? How small do their stacks have to be? Only twice yours? 1.5x? Doesnt matter? Who would you avoid vs. who would you play against?

What percentage of your stack would you be willing to raise with and still be willing to fold to a reraise or a missed flop?

Would you raise less if you were on a pure steal then if you had something you were willing to make a stand with? More? Assume that the players won't notice the variance in your raise.

Now, assume you're willing to raise and get all-in if necessary, what are your thresholds? How many BBs do you need to have left? What minimun starting hand requirements? How many limpers? How many left to act?

I know, I know, it all depends. But we all must have some guidelines. I'm afraid I'm getting too tight in these situations and I need to be more agressive without cards and I am trying to really identify opportunities. If you look down at 27o, when would you still raise? What about A5o? If you are on the button and there are 3/2/1 limpers what would you raise with? What about in MP? What would you limp with? Would you be more likely to do this if the limpers are tight or loose?

Here are some similar situations I was in and here is what I did. Did I play these OK? Should I have waited even longer? I want to ignore results and assess whether these were correct plays:

In BB with 10x BB stack with A5o. Folded to SB big stack, he completes. I push. He calls with AA lol.

MP with KJo 8 BB left, 1 limper. I raise 4x (1/2 my stack). BB raises all in, I call he has KK. My intention was to call a raise or push any flop.

MP with KQS, 7 BB left, I push with 1 limper, SB calls with 77, busts me.

MP with 7 BBs, KJs I push. Get called by AA in SB.

I'd like this discussion to be about these kinds of plays, and also about how to avoid getting this low when you are card dead. In each of these situations I got this low because I was card dead and slowly dwindled, either by not playing any hands or getting involved and having to fold, losing 5/10/20% of my chips at a time, not because I lost a big hand or something. what kind of plays should we be making with 15-20 BBs and no cards so we don't get down to 10/8/7 BBs or do you just wait, hope and start making plays like this when the time comes?

Bob

iMsoLucky0
02-26-2005, 08:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What do you do when you don't get any cards?

[/ QUOTE ]

Win anyways.

Myst
02-27-2005, 03:44 PM
Its situation dependent.

KenProspero
02-27-2005, 04:10 PM
As a general rule, I recommend patience.

Play your hands, until it's time to make a stand. Many times, you'll lose. Nothing you can do about it. However, I think it's the wrong move to relax your standards too early.

This being said, look for opportunities to steal blinds, to steal pots if you have any kind of a read on the players.

If you do have some kind of a read on your opps, well, then there may be opportunities even if you have no cards.

But, in general, recognize that there are some tourneys where you just won't get the cards.