PDA

View Full Version : Another QJs for your comments.

pokerstudAA
02-26-2005, 07:32 PM
I kept thinking about the JQs hand that was just posted here recently.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif. CO posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

I thought about 3 betting here but decided that might squeeze out the blinds or limpers and wanted this hand as multiway as possible. Cutoff had some dead money in and there were two limpers and the blinds. So I cold called. Bad/Good?

What about capping when it comes back as 3-bets to me?

The MP2 raiser is loose passive. The BB 3-bettor is a maniac.

Flop: (14.40 SB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

I thought again about raising or folding here. I dont even have a back door flush draw. The J or Q might be good if it hits. Possibly a loose call - It is a big pot. If I raise here no one is folding.

Turn: (9.20 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

So I picked up 4 outs with 10s and either a J or Q might win it. Someone might have AQ, AJ, KQ, KJ. Is that why I might raise the flop? So I have 10 outs if no one has me dominated or beat already. Discounted about 6.5 outs. 11-1 odds on this call - is this a good call?

River: (12.20 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Oh I am such a fish. I never thought I would feel this good about rivering a gutshot on someone but I do. I dont think I got very far out of line anywhere in this hand but I still feel like a fish.

Comments on all streets appreciated.

Final Pot: 21.20 BB

Nick C
02-26-2005, 07:54 PM
Preflop: With only three people in so far, I probably would have folded to the loose-passive player's raise, but cold-calling may in fact be better. I'm not sure. If there's a good chance BB will 3-bet (how often was he doing that?), then I start becoming more inclined to fold. Anyway, I don't like the idea of 3-betting it yourself very much, and I don't think you should cap it when it gets back to you. I'd want to see the flop as cheaply as possible and not further cut into my implied odds.

Flop: I think calling and taking a look at the turn is okay. I would not want to raise and re-open the betting here, especially if no one will fold even if BB 3-bets. Getting rid of a hand like AQ would have some value, but you aren't in a good position to put pressure on anyone, and your draw is pretty weak.

Turn: I think the call is pretty easy here, getting 11:1, closing the action. You have 3 outs to the nuts, the T /images/graemlins/heart.gif most likely also will win the pot for you, and your overcards do have some (discounted) value too.

River: I guess MP1 had a 7?

littlejohn
02-26-2005, 08:29 PM
Well, based on your read of BB, if you 3 bet the flop and expect him to cap it, then you might shut out some of the remaining limpers and have it shorthanded against a maniac and and a passive raiser - not what you want to have happen. You probably have equity to cap it - but I don't think it's terrible EV one way or the other.

On the flop, if you raise you can expect it get 3 bet behind you and that seems negative EV - I like the call though since the pot is big. Also, if you raise here you can't expect a free turn card cause the BB will bet out again.

On the turn it seems like if you hit your river you've still got some implied odds left considering BB is going to put more money in the pot - so I like the call here with the gutshot.

Yeah river - one for the good guys!

Did you split with MP1 or was he slow playing a set, or hit 2 pair on the river, or did he have a 7 in his hand?

pokerstudAA
02-27-2005, 12:05 AM
MP1 had pocket 7's for the low straight. He must have though I was a maniac to cap the river.

bernie
02-27-2005, 02:34 AM
Fold preflop.

[ QUOTE ]
The MP2 raiser is loose passive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a good player to isolate when they are aggressive in the pot. These raises should be respected a bit more.

b