PDA

View Full Version : Playing Big Hands when you miss the flop

ams4
02-26-2005, 06:27 PM
Just wondering how you all would play this in a loose/passive online 3-6 game:

You raise three or four limpers w/ a hand like this and get this flop:

AK with a flop of 6 8 10
JJ or QQ with a flop of A 7 4

Let's say you are the last to act in both situations.

And let's say someone bets into you on the flop.

I will usually raise in these situations, especially if there is only one bettor and everyone in between me and the original bettor has folded. And then bet again on the turn with the intention of checking on the river if I don't improve. Unless it is heads up at the end and I may bet again on the river.

I just hate calling when someone bets into me with hands like these. I like playing it strong if I feel I may be ahead anyway.

Is it better to just call on the flop and muck on the turn if there are more than one callers in between the bettor and me? What about when I raise the original bettor and get cold callers behind? Should I take this as I am beat without improvement and just check the turn and muck on the river without improvement?

I also would like to know about how to play it when you miss but noone bets into you. But that may have to be another thread.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Alexthegreat
02-26-2005, 06:45 PM
The first hand is an easy raise, because you have 6 (or more) outs, and you can probably buy your way to the river with a raise...Betting the turn holding only A high is okay if you are heads up, but I wouldn't be doing it against 2 or more players.....

When the board comes with one overcard to your PP and a passive player bets, it is usually not a great idea to raise in my opinion, unless you think it will get you to showdown without putting any more money in.....I doubt that it does, and in that situation I'm pretty comfortable calling the bet and folding the turn unimproved....Raising in a situation where you could be dominated is bad news

ams4
02-26-2005, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the help. When you are talking about the dominated part, are you saying it is too risky to raise with the AK against 2 or 3 because you could be dominated by someone holding Ace rag if you hit your Ace?

Alexthegreat
02-26-2005, 07:02 PM
I was mainly referring to holding QQ against a board with an ace on it...you are in huge trouble against someone with an ace....

I feel like the raise with AK is good and I would not be worried about being dominated in that situation as much....

ams4
02-26-2005, 07:08 PM
So you opt for a call on the flop and fold the turn with the QQ? Even if it is heads up?

How about this:

You raise with pocket 9's from middle position, everyone folds to the BB who calls.

Flop: A Q 6

He checks, you bet, he check-raises.

Fold for sure?

Alexthegreat
02-26-2005, 07:24 PM
Call and fold the turn unimproved....Even though you may be in huge trouble, the one SB it'll cost you is worth it to see the turn...Plus he may just be putting a move on you and he may check the turn through...

Anybody else have any opinions on these questions??

ams4
02-26-2005, 07:31 PM
I agree, I just hate heads up in a situation like this. If he check raised me on the turn I would feel much better about throwing it away. But on the flop it makes me want to call it down heads up.

Alexthegreat
02-26-2005, 07:33 PM
I dunno about that...but that's why I want someone else to respond...It depends on what you think of the player...if you would like to see a showdown, 3-bet the flop, fold to a cap for sure, and check behind on the turn...Call the river and it's cheaper...