PDA

View Full Version : Middle Pair

__Q__
02-26-2005, 04:59 PM
The opponent is very loose preflop. At the time I didn't give him as much credit for a king because he was betting after everyone checked to him. I figured there was a good chance that he was just trying to pick up the pot. Now that I look back on it, I'm thinking that I was too agressive in a small pot? Would I have been better off on betting out on the flop? or is check-folding better?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (3.50 SB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, CO calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (5.75 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 7.75 BB

Sadat X
02-26-2005, 06:59 PM
You're walking a really fine line with the CR on the flop. The problem is that if he's trying to pick up the pot with his bet, he's probably not gonna pay you off if your hand is best. If he's got a hand (Kx or Tx), you're probably gonna end up paying him off.

Position is very important in this hand and you don't have it - I'd fold the flop.

Nick C
02-26-2005, 09:29 PM
Against just two opponents in this unraised pot, I'd probably just bet the flop and hope to take the pot right there.

I'd expect to get called in at least one place, though, and if I did get called, my plan would be to bet again on the turn (with the idea of folding to a raise, unless I had improved).

If my flop bet got raised, I'd probably just fold, figuring the raise means I'm probably behind without the odds to draw and, even if I'm not behind, my opponent likely has a draw that will often go on to beat me (a gutshot with AJ, for instance would have 10 outs to pull ahead of me on the turn, a flush draw would have at least 9 outs, and an OESD would have 14).

Anyway, though, I think the flop checkraise is also reasonable, especially if CO is the type to bet if checked to. And, after you checkraised, I like the turn bet. A case could be made for check-calling the river, as that would give CO a chance to bluff a busted draw, but I think betting the river is okay too.

In any event, I'd rather not go into the flop action with a check-fold plan, with middle pair and just two opponents, neither of whom have shown any strength so far.