PDA

View Full Version : Desperation time, do you play KQ?

davidross
02-26-2005, 03:37 PM
Last nights super Friday at Party. Down to 27 players, we've all made 1K, and the jump at 20 players is to 1300. I am one of the 3 smallest stacks left at 12K, blinds have just gone to 1K/2K. My stack hasn't moved in 90 minutes. SInce there were 120 players left I have won the blinds once each orbit. I haven't had a hand I could come over the top of anyone with except one JJ hand, and the other guy had JJ too, and my all-ins haven't been called except once when I raised with QT and the BB had QT too.

With 2K in the BB, an EP with 34K left raises to 4K, and the tournament chip leader with 100K pushes all-in. Folded to me in the BB with KQo. Call or fold?

EP has not been out of line at all. CHip leader is new to the table, made 1 raise about 3 hands ago and folded to an all-in. My read on the big stack is some medium pair or AK. I don't believe he'd play AA, KK or QQ like this, and I'm perfectly willing to take him on and take my chances....but the EP player has me worried. I believe he is much more likely to have the Big pair that will make me a huge dog. I can't fold my way to a pay increase so I need to play something soon, and I won't have to pay the SB because of a bust-out on the previous hand. SO afraid of the EP I folded. EP folded too and I think I missed my chance. 3 hands later I pushed with 44 and got called by KK.

Is this a close decision with KQ or an easy call for most of you?

Chief911
02-26-2005, 03:53 PM
David,

I think you consider folding equity in your decision. You have 10k left if you fold, which is still 5xBB. I'm pretty sure I'd wait and go for some late position steals to survive a bit longer. If it were just one raise, then its either a call or push. But with a reraise, regardless of whether he's the big stack, you can't call here. And with a min-raise, EP could very well have a huge hand. You are dominated by AQ or AK which big stack could easily have as well.

I think I'd fold here.

Nick

fnord_too
02-26-2005, 04:02 PM
I think I fold this easily. I haven't done any in depth analysis, but intuitively I would fold without a second thought.

02-26-2005, 04:09 PM
I fold and rely on the short-stack friendly no ante Party structure. I think the normal 5 BB desperation rule is less of a factor in Party tourneys when you don't have to ante every hand.

Gavin

Jurollo
02-26-2005, 04:22 PM
I would definately fold this up. You are much better off almost going in with any two in the next couple hands against 1 person. Best case you have 1 live card here, not worth putting your tourney on the line.
~Justin

SoBeDude
02-26-2005, 04:46 PM
Hi Dave,

This is an instant fold for me. And its not close in my mind.

-Scott

DonButtons
02-26-2005, 06:14 PM
I didnt see how you busted out, but Im guessing it was this hand.

Def. fold here, this looks like AK with the 100k all in.

One thing for sure, you'll never be a favorite in this spot.