PDA

View Full Version : Call with overpair against Unknown opponent?

Jeffage
09-12-2002, 04:17 PM
Playing 3-6 online. I raise UTG with pocket 10's. Button coldcalls, SB calls, BB calls. Flop comes 6d 7d 4d. I have the 10d. Check to me, I bet, button folds, SB checkraises, BB folds. I call. How dubious is this? Would you put him on a Big diamond, a straight, or set, or bullshit and trying to push out a preflop raiser? I can only beat the diamond for now. I call. How many think easy laydown? Turn comes 5h. He now checks. Ok, that is weird. What's your play? Bet and fold to a checkraise, or check behind. Something smelled rotten so I checked, but his check also implied that he may be giving up. What would you do? I checked. River comes the Kc. He bets. Your play? My play, results, and thoughts to follow.

Jeff

davidross
09-12-2002, 04:57 PM
Jeffage,

In his position I would make that raise with a single big diamond, any 4,5,6 or 7, as well as the hands you are afraid of. He is almost certain to get heads up with you who might have AK, AQ, AJ. I wouldn't even think about folding, and I would almost certainly 3 bet here.

The 5 isn't a good card for you obviously, and his check is suspicious. Heads up I still want to get to a showdown, so maybe checking behind him and calling his certain river bet is a good idea, but I would prefer to bet the turn. If you had 3-bet the flop this would be a much simpler hand to play.

You can't fold this hand.

johnb
09-12-2002, 10:00 PM
My read of the turn check is a bit different. To me, it smacks of a player who has a good hand but just saw a scare card. My first reaction would be that he has two pair or trips and is afraid that the five just made a straight for his opponent(s). Your check indicates that did not happen. This prompts him to lead on the river.

If its any consilation, I suspect that betting the turn probably would not have helped you. Low limit players will not usually lay down trips or two pair. The only reason to bet in my mind would if you have some sort of read that this player would lay down such a hand.

thesparc
09-13-2002, 04:03 AM
My guess is that he doesn't have the made flush, but rather a straight/pair/two-pair/whatever. After check-raising the flop, I can't see not betting the turn unless he was trying to go for another check-raise. I doubt he was afraid of you having a straight since an UTG raise usually implies (or should /forums/images/icons/wink.gif that you have high cards, so that board does not coordinate with you. I would check behind as well. I think you definately call his river bet.

Just a note, I would probably re-raise the flop since you are second to act hoping to get a free card. In most cases I believe SB comes out betting the turn and while you don't know if you are beaten, you can see the showdown for one SB less.

Jeffage
09-14-2002, 09:20 PM
He had Axs for a flopped ace high flush. Results notwithstanding, I think a better move is to 3 bet the flop, but I would prob. have to fold to a turn checkraise in that situation. The way I played it, I got to show down my hand at least.

Jeff