PDA

View Full Version : Playing against an intelligent opponent.

Chaostracize
02-26-2005, 12:03 PM
Let me set the scene. $200 nl 6 max.

I've been making some big moves with big bets. BB is a very tricky LAG, who pushes around preflop with little to nothing sometimes. He has been getting very good flops and has made mention of it, hitting almost every flop he plays in. He is a 30/60 limit player on Stars, just here screwing around.

SB is a weak player, calling an all-in with a low flush draw when I make TPTK on a paired board. He calls a lot preflop and lets go of the hand postflop most of the time, however.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB ($171.5)
BB ($949.05)
UTG ($730.45)
MP ($1003.65)
Hero ($269.7)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif. SB posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $15</font>, SB (poster) calls $13, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $46</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero...</font>

What's your move here?

Chaostracize
02-26-2005, 05:16 PM
n/m

warlockjd
02-26-2005, 05:41 PM
Muck, no odds to hit set, and I am weak tight. Heh

edge
02-26-2005, 05:48 PM
This is kind of tricky. You're setting me up by saying that BB plays hard preflop with weak hands, so I'm inclined to push to isolate him. 99 is a top ten hand, and against an aggressive preflop player, you can't just fold, especially in a situation where it looks like you're stealing. Without SB in the way, I flat call it, but a call would price SB in and make postflop play a lot more difficult.

Rocaix
02-28-2005, 05:34 PM
Mucking is your best option, you're very likely behind here. BB isn't reraising into two players out of position without a hand and your implied odds value for hitting a set is now greatly diminished. LAG doesn't equal never have good hands. If anything I suspect this is a setup play.

Calling is pretty bad too, when he bets into you on the flop. Your only move is to move-in and there aren't really any flops without a 9, where you can conformtably play for your stack with.

Reraising is absolutely atrocious here, you win the minimum you'll get from him when your ahead, and lose the maximum when your behind.