PDA

View Full Version : LLC formation advice (how to) needed

Pokermonger
02-26-2005, 09:02 AM
Hello all. I am purchasing a franchise and have decided to form an LLC for liability protection for the business. I will be filing in Ohio and would like to do it myself to avoid paying my lawyer $500. Are there any requirements beyond paying the $125 and filing the Organization/Registration Of Limited Liability form and the Appointment Of Agent form?

Any help is appreciated.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
02-26-2005, 10:22 AM
I highly recomend you get a lawyer. I know a little about this subject, but one important thing i know is that you need a lawyer.

shadow29
02-26-2005, 12:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...but one important thing i know is that you need a lawyer.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need a lawyer. Wouldn't do it without one.

cnfuzzd
02-26-2005, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I highly recomend you get a lawyer. I know a little about this subject, but one important thing i know is that you need a lawyer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am intrigued because not only is this possibly the best advice ever, but it also applies to almost any situation one could encounter.

"Should i ask her to marry me?"

"I highly recomend you get a lawyer. I know a little about this subject, but one important thing i know is that you need a lawyer."

perfect...

peace

john nickle

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
02-26-2005, 12:50 PM
lmao

PhatTBoll
02-26-2005, 01:31 PM
You really need a lawyer. There are so many ways you can screw yourself by doing this wrong that you don't even want to think about it.

crash
02-26-2005, 01:41 PM
if warren zevon taught us anything, it's that all problems can be solved by lawyers, guns, and/or money.

Monkeyslacks
02-26-2005, 10:39 PM
I'll be a lawyer in 3 months and will do it for $400. (joking)

Forming an LLC entails different things in different jurisidictions and any advice you get on here will be useless unless it comes from someone with actual knowledge of Ohio law.

gvibes
02-27-2005, 12:22 AM
I too will be a lawyer shortly, and I would also strongly advise getting a lawyer. LLC's aren't like corporations. Corporations have a lot of default rules, whereas LLC's are almost entirely defined by the operating agreement.

Since you are interested in keeping the LLC for liability-protection purposes, it would also be a good idea to retain a lawyer to advise concerning that (and probably an accountant as well). LLC does not necessarily equal protection from liablity. There are a lot of formalities you need to observe.

peachy
02-27-2005, 12:44 AM
get a lawyer...its worth every pennie especially when it comes to this area! I work for a laywer and its a passion of mine and even if he drafts me documents - when they r important i have yet another lawyer freshly look over them just incase (especially with stuff in our businesses)

judgesmails
02-27-2005, 12:45 AM
I don't think you need a lawyer just to form the company and file the paperwork. I have formed LLCs and corportations with and without one. I thought it was a waste of money with one. The lawyer is not going to do anything for you that you could not do yourself.

Check with the Ohio Secretary of State's office to find out specifically what they require. It varys from state to state but is a straightforward process.

As someone else noted, with an LLC the operating agreement defines terms of partnerships and anything else you want to define. You must have your lawyer review this.