PDA

View Full Version : KK in 3-way pot, QJT flop

zac777
02-26-2005, 06:49 AM
100+9, 10/15 blinds.

UTG makes it 90, UTG+2 calls. I make it 250 from the SB with KdKs, both call.

Flop is QJT, 2 clubs. Assuming reasonable players, that flop hits several hands that could be out. QQ, JJ, TT, but most notably AK, which seems to be a fairly likely holding. I think most of the time I'm still ahead here, and even if I'm behind I have outs to the straight and possibly the set. But if I'm up against AK I'm in a whole lot of trouble.

At this point the pot is ~750 and so is my stack. My thought process was something on the order of "overpair/OESD, I have no choice but to get my money in the middle." If I bet anything I'm committed, and checking gives too many free cards, so I got it all in there..

Two questions:

1. Given the action, what % of the time do you expect to be up against AK?

2. Given #1, how big would the stacks have to be before you consider folding this to an all-in reraise (assuming you bet into it enough to not pot commit yourself) or taking a different line such as checking.

At these stack sizes and absent good reads I never fold here, but against 2 very solid players I'd probably need to put some thought into a few other options. There aren't many hands that a good player raises UTG at these blinds that are not ahead of me here. In fact, there probably aren't any. Any thoughts?

Phil Van Sexton
02-26-2005, 01:31 PM
This just happened to me in a heads up pot. He checked, I pushed, he showed AK. Sorry for the lack of content. I have no answers.

TheAmp
02-26-2005, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

My thought process was something on the order of "overpair/OESD, I have no choice but to get my money in the middle."

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats your biggest mistake. You ALWAYS have a choice, otherwise you wouldn't post. And you know you made the wrong choice this time. You are honest and aware of your own feelings and thoughts. Thats a great asset. Use it in the heat of the moment.

Check the flop. you will have 8 outs for free to split the pot. If not, they bet ,you fold. It's never easy to fold KK, but you will feel good after you do it here.

As for question 1), let me ask you:
What can UTG and UTG+2 have so that you beat them both, given the pre-flop action? It's tough to even think about such an example.

zac777
02-26-2005, 03:14 PM
You're right that I did a poor job of thinking this one through at the table, but I don't see where I have 8 outs to a split. If someone has AK, I'm drawing to somewhere between 1 and 3 outs to a split, depending on suits and the third player's cards.

TheAmp
02-26-2005, 03:19 PM
You are right...my mistake. /images/graemlins/blush.gif