PDA

View Full Version : 38,000 hand losing streak OVER!

party36master
02-26-2005, 03:27 AM
Here's my story.
Was a small winner in 5/10 Stud at Foxwoods (small sample size) for a couple of years. As the hold'em explosion grew, got tired of the longer and longer waits for fewer and fewer tables. So I decided to switch to hold'em.

So I bought all the right books, and started playing online in April. Started at 2/4. The game clicked for me in July, broke even by August, started 4 tabling in September.

By October, I had accumulated 750 BB, so I moved up to 3/6.
I bought PokerTracker in November.

I won 5.13 BB/100 through my first 10,500 hands.

Then I went through a rough 20 days, where I lost -2.33 BB/100 over 11,300 hands.
I was playing poorly. In retrospect, there were lots of problems that came from misapplying SSHE concepts. I was raising multiway pots on the flop to buy outs way too often. Also, Party 3/6 was much more tight than I gave it credit for.
I played this streak at 24.25 VPIP, and 13.47% PFR, with 1.4 PostFlop Aggression.

Over the past 1 1/2 months since the bottom, I've been making lots of adjustments in my game, some more consistently than others.

1) Better use of buddy lists- By focusing on it, I now consistently have someone either 70% VPIP or looser, or 50% VPIP w/20% or higher PFR at one of my tables. Beating on bad players has certainly helped.

2) Stopped playing any pair, any position. I still do this if the table is loose, but I really toned it town.

3) Stopped playing AX suited from UTG or UTG +1. It was a leak.

4) Stopped taking the "do not fold decent hands for one bet" advice to the extreme. I had become too much of a calling station. I'm still trying to figure out the optimal "fold to river bet" spot.

My recent stats are about 18.5 VPIP, and 11.3% PFR, w/1.6 PostFlop Aggression which is a bit looser than most people who multi-table.

Recently, I've been trying to work on 3 things. One is my blind play.
Read the "You play too tight" thread from a few days ago, its awesome.

Also, given my buddy list, I'm constantly playing with maniacs. I think I alter my game too much against them, a little too fancy. Trying to find the right balance.
Here's an example:
Maniac raised UTG. I'm in UTG+2, with 66. I reraise. The maniac and one other caller are in.
The flop comes J 7 4 rainbow. Maniac bets. I raise. Other player folds, maniac calls.
Turn is 2. Maniac bets, now what?
I end up calling it down, sometime I win, sometimes I don't.
Maybe I'm altering my game too much, and should just fold pre-flop.

Also, focusing on getting in the extra bet on the turn wherever I can.

Anyway, I've ended the streak at 38,000 hands.

Good luck anyone else on a long losing streak, and hang in there!

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
02-26-2005, 04:49 AM
Im on an ungodly losing streak. Made $1100 last night, but im still down.

I think people fold too much on the river. Folding for 1 bet in a huge pot is not usually a good idea w/ even a moderate holding. This mainly applies to HU on the end.

bernie
02-26-2005, 04:51 AM
about 14-15k hands and counting... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

It'd be nice to see a green, non bracketed number.

Congrats on the climb out.

b

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
02-26-2005, 05:08 AM
100NL 6max

http://www.geocities.com/fazmasta/kksucks.JPG

spydog
02-26-2005, 05:33 AM
22k hands and counting......

Poker blog
02-26-2005, 05:45 AM
you do realize that stud will give you greater variance than hold'em, right?