PDA

View Full Version : For Jimbo - Warning whining and a bad beat

davidross
09-12-2002, 12:22 PM
OK Jimbo, you asked for it. I had a horrible session last night. Jumped back into 3/6 and was up around $150, before letting a maniac tilt me. I ended up dropping $450. Probably the worst I've ever played. I've been reviewing hand histories this morning and I made some dreadful plays. I also had some very bad luck. KK vs AA, AA vs KK and a K rivers. My favorite was a flopped full house (55 for me) 5-9-9 on the flop. A-T takes all the heat I can give him, then the turn and river are 9 - 9, making his A play.

But I wanted to share with you a hand I wasn't part of. The maniac who got under my skin was, and this was typical of his entire game. He would raise anything, and really push post flop. He would slow down on the turn and river, but never fold. Sounds like a dream opponent right? Except this kept happening.

Maniac is in EP and raises. This means abslutely nothing and everyone knows it. He gets one cold call and an aggressive LP who is in the same boat as me (tilting badly after some brutal beats) 3-bets. Maniac caps it (He never calls) and both of the others call.

*** FLOP *** : [ Ac 5s 7s ]

Maniac bets out and both call.

*** TURN *** : [ Ac 5s 7s ] [ 6d ]

Maniac bets and MP folds, but the LP calls. You have to call this guy, he plays every hand like this.

*** RIVER *** : [ Ac 5s 7s 6d ] [ 2s ]

Maniac bets and LP calls again.

LP had QQ

Maniac had..........3 - 4 for the runner runner baby straight.

You just had to laugh. He 4 bet that and bet every street.

Hope you enjoyed it Jimbo. I need to regroup...yet again.

cya

sucka
09-12-2002, 12:46 PM
Ouch!

Sounds like it was time to quit - or change tables to me. That's a serious tilt to bust out $450 at a $3/6 table.

thesparc
09-12-2002, 01:04 PM
if he had 3-4 he had a made straight on the turn, not runner runner

hutz
09-12-2002, 01:30 PM
Exactly right. Putting aside his pre-flop goofiness, he flopped a double gutshot, which isn't half bad. Whether he recognized it or not is another story. Judging from davidross' description of the guy, I doubt he noticed.

davidross
09-12-2002, 01:37 PM
You're right. I went out at lunch and While I was driving it hit me that he'd made it on the turn. I thought the 6 was the river card. Not as bad as I thought, but he was something. He was up over $300 at one point (most of it mine) then he gave it all back (None to me /forums/images/icons/frown.gif )

bernie
09-12-2002, 02:22 PM
this is also part of becoming a good player...
not letting a maniac on a rush get under your skin..

the simple reason, you cant blame him for winning...can you? if you do, your saying you dont want him to play this badly. and if he's a regular guy, youll have plenty of chances to get it back. maybe not in this session, but eventually. if he never won, he'd be limited on the chips he would be donating....

can these guys try your patience? hell yes they can. but this is one of the big hurdles many have a problem getting over. the fact that you want him to play this bad, AND win sometimes. especially when he beats tougher players at your table. it makes their chips easier to get once theyre in his stack. but sometimes they will win.

may not relate to you since i didnt see anything in your post about openly complaining, but i want to mention it anyway as a tangent:

ive been on the table with supposed solid/ABC guys who make open remarks to these types. and i asked one guy the question, "So you DONT want him playing those cards?" amazing the silence that followed as he wrapped his brain around that. sound harsh? put it this way, why is this guy tightening up my meal ticket because he's misinformed.

this is much like the guys bitching at the construction crews on the road for blocking traffic. it's not their fault theyre out there. some other crew would be if they werent. blame the guy who ok'd the improvement project.

btw...$450 is a pretty big dump on a 3-6. but you did go back and analyze and find errors. thats a huge plus for your game. hopefully youll stop the bleeding sooner next time.

have a good one...

b

davidross
09-12-2002, 02:47 PM
Hey Bernie,

No one was openly critical, there were a few comments but nothing over the top. What I failed to think about was that it wasn't just me trying to get into hands with this guy. I was two seats to his left and had a lot of chances to raise or cold call him with hands I was almost certain to be better than him on...but, then we'd get two more callers and suddenly my ATo didn't look so good.

What really digusts me is how I let it affect my play on both tables I was playing on. Until he arrived at table 2 I was up $150 at table 1 and even on table 2. I was seeing around 20% of the flops and playing solid poker, getting my good hands to hold up and generally winning enough small to medium sized pots to keep growing my stack. At the end of the night I had seen 31% of the flops (Which probably means closer to 40% for the last half of my session)and I was playing any two suited looking to win some huge pots. I ended up a loser on both tables which was a real shame since I had played so well on table 1, and was able to make reasonable steals when required.

It was a very expensive lesson. Not the first mind you and probably not th elast but it really hurt.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

JTG51
09-12-2002, 03:22 PM
He flopped a double gutshot. A 2 or a 6 gives him a straight after the flop. I would have bet the flop and turn from EP with his hand also.

I would not have capped preflop though. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Jimbo
09-12-2002, 03:33 PM
Drum Roll Puhleaseeeeeee Ta Da dum..... JTG51 for the below quote:

"I would not have capped preflop though."

Jimbo

yct
09-12-2002, 03:36 PM
You were up 150 and end up losing 450. That means you drop about 600 from your high point? I think losing 450 in one sitting is a bit much playing 3/6. Sometimes if you feel you are not playing your A game, you should just quit. There are always other fishes to fry another day...

Jimbo
09-12-2002, 03:44 PM
Suppose I should have saved my wish for winnng the Powerball Lottery instead! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif All I can think of is Bummer man!! I rarely go off more than 40 BB's in a session. Seems like the game was juicy but sometimes all you get is the shaft in games like these. I am trying to find a post I read yesterday about someone and their "maniac" brother playing together. Everyone focused on his brother while he cleaned up at the table. Sounds like a similiar situation here David.

Jimbo

bernie
09-12-2002, 03:50 PM
i think i wrote the post your looking for...

i think it was under small stakes...not sure though...
/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

b

Jimbo
09-12-2002, 04:28 PM
David,

below is a link to Bernie's post, you may want to read it. I found it very enlightening.

http://www.twoplustwo.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=smallholdem&Number=146477& Forum=smallholdem

Jimbo

Ed Miller
09-12-2002, 06:18 PM
It looks like he's got a double gutshot on the flop and turns the straight. Obviously capping with 43o is kind of silly, but I don't see why you are horrified by his post-flop play...

JTG51
09-12-2002, 11:59 PM
That's a heck of a nice trophy.