PDA

View Full Version : What are you completing with in the small blind?

spoohunter
02-26-2005, 01:49 AM
Any two broadway, any suited 2gappers or better, any suited ace as well hands I would normally play.

You?

fimbulwinter
02-26-2005, 02:43 AM
you tell me why this is not a question that can be answered, then ask the right one.

hint: "why do you like it?" falls under the same genre.

fim

TheWorstPlayer
02-26-2005, 02:53 AM
What are you calling with on the river? Two pair? Full house? Flush? Did I miss any?

zaxx19
02-26-2005, 03:36 AM
connecting cards above 45 dont need to be suited for me personally. I prefer straits to flushes lately anyway bc they are less obvious and usually less counterfeitable.

sourbeaver
02-26-2005, 07:09 AM
It really all depends on tide, I must admit.

Spladle Master
02-26-2005, 08:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What are you calling with on the river? Two pair? Full house? Flush? Did I miss any?

[/ QUOTE ]

One time I called on the river with a straight flush. I would have raised, but I had been reading a lot of Tommy Angelo posts and there was a possible bigger straight flush out, so I just called.

kongo_totte
02-26-2005, 08:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

One time I called on the river with a straight flush. I would have raised, but I had been reading a lot of Tommy Angelo posts and there was a possible bigger straight flush out, so I just called.

[/ QUOTE ]

Double sarcasm? I love it

sourbeaver
02-26-2005, 08:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

but I had been reading a lot of Tommy Angelo posts and there was a possible bigger straight flush out, so I just called.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great wisdom comes from this man, be sure to interpret it correctly though.

sourbeaver
02-26-2005, 08:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Double sarcasm? I love it

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man, I remember this one time, she .. oh sarcasm ? nevermind

spoohunter
02-26-2005, 08:36 AM
*yawn*

Note, the question was not "what should I complete in the small blind with".

It is so easy to say "poker is zen", much harder to give concrete advice.

sourbeaver
02-26-2005, 08:51 AM
I think he means it's a hard question to answer because it depends a lot on the individual player and the game (10-handed, 6-handed, loose, tight, weak, etc).

Some people are looking for every reason to complete with 56s in the SB.

I'm barely completing with KQ.

spoohunter
02-26-2005, 08:53 AM
I know exactly what he meant. You don't complete 56s?

sourbeaver
02-26-2005, 09:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You don't complete 56s?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't complete QJs.

hoyaboy1
02-26-2005, 09:58 AM
At small stakes NL you don't complete with QJs? Doesn't seem very sound to me.

TheWorstPlayer
02-26-2005, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You don't complete 56s?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't complete QJs.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow you are tighter than my - well, you are tight. Very tight.

TrailofTears
02-26-2005, 01:40 PM
This was SO bad. Terrible. But I frickin' loved it. Right up my alley. Thanks for a few humorous posts lately, St. Deuce.

/images/graemlins/smile.gifT

sourbeaver
02-26-2005, 01:54 PM
Pleasure /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

David04
02-26-2005, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You don't complete 56s?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't complete QJs.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've seen nuns looser than you.

fimbulwinter
02-26-2005, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
much harder to give concrete advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

especially to someone who doesn't know how to pose a question

fim

sourbeaver
02-28-2005, 12:05 PM
Just thought this bit by Ed Miller was interesting.

[ QUOTE ]
(article discusses being in the CO position and posting a blind)
Everyone folds to you, and you have
QJo
If you hadn't posted, you would probably fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

That might make my point come across as less of a crack-smoking-induced enlightement.

If you'd fold QJo in the cutoff, then how the hell would suitedness make the hand good enough to play from the small blind ? (The fact that half the blind is posted is not valid, money to be invested should not be evaluated on the basis of money already invested.)

Now, I know Ed is not discussing 6-max or very loose games, but the general idea is there. Yes I'm tight, but not that tight, see ? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tilt
02-28-2005, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I don't complete QJs.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I often raise QJs. Go figure.

schwza
02-28-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(The fact that half the blind is posted is not valid, money to be invested should not be evaluated on the basis of money already invested.)

[/ QUOTE ]

you can't mean this literally. if the small blind was $9 and the big was $10, are you telling me you wouldn't complete any two?

suppose there are 2 limpers. what's relevant is that you're putting in only 1/8 of the pot but there are 4 people in. the money you're investing has a disproportionately (sp?) large return.

sourbeaver
02-28-2005, 04:24 PM
Agreed, I oversimplified this. What I meant is you need to compare what you pay with what you expect to get in return.
I'm also assuming blinds with 2x ratio (0.25/0.50 , 1/2 ..).

But the point is still valid, if QJo isn't worth a BB in the CO, it's not worth half a BB in the small blind either, suited or not. But many people will argue that QJo is worth a BB in the CO, so they can complete in the SB with a smile on their face; good for them.

TheWorstPlayer
02-28-2005, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you'd fold QJo in the cutoff, then how the hell would suitedness make the hand good enough to play from the small blind ? (The fact that half the blind is posted is not valid, money to be invested should not be evaluated on the basis of money already invested.)

Now, I know Ed is not discussing 6-max or very loose games, but the general idea is there. Yes I'm tight, but not that tight, see ? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
1. The SB is not important for the fact that you already put have half the BB in there, it is important because you only have to put another 1/2 BB in to see the flop. So you are getting a discount (i.e. twice the normal odds - not too bad).
2. Sooooootedness makes a fair difference with nice connectors like QJ. If you hit your flush, it won't be a baby flush and your straight will often be the nuts. QJs is basically a very nice suited connector in my book.
3. Ed is not discussing 6 max (where this is an easy raise from the CO) or very loose games (where this is an easy complete from the SB) or very passive games (where this is easily playable from ANY position, IMO)

sourbeaver
02-28-2005, 05:24 PM
My opinion on suitedness is that it goes way up in value on the button (CO still qualifies).

I can see how your opinion will be the most popular though, who would want another reason to fold an extra hand ? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

TheWorstPlayer
02-28-2005, 05:55 PM
Position is much more important in aggressive games (although of course still important in more passive ones). And yes, I think you should complete the small blind with 56s, too, with a decent number of limpers, so we can add that one to my 80% VPIP as well. /images/graemlins/smile.gif