PDA

View Full Version : slowplaying a set (hand included)

techrush
02-26-2005, 12:04 AM
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (3 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB (t2615)
Button (t7280)
Hero (t3605)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t300</font>, Hero calls t150.

Flop: (t600) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t150</font>, Hero calls t150.

Turn: (t900) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t200</font>, Hero calls t200.

River: (t1300) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t1050</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t1965</font>, Hero calls t915.

Final Pot: t5230

was slowplaying the wrong move here ? did i make any other mistakes ? it felt like it was a "bad beat" after the hand but im kind of new and wasnt really sure. id appreciate any comments. thanks.

curtains
02-26-2005, 12:09 AM
Well tell me what you are trying to gain by checking and calling both the flop and the turn? Don't just show us a slowplayed hand, tell us exactly why you slowplayed it and what you thought you had to gain from doing so, as opposed to betting it strongly on the flop or turn.

It's more likely that he has something now and that a scare card will come that discourage him from paying you off on the river, than some miracle card will come that gives him a great hand, but one just below yours, where he will then pay off any sized bet because you brilliantly let him stay in cheaply.

And the worst scenario of all is that no matter what there is no card that he will ever pay you off with, except for a card that beats you (Like if he has a gutshot straight draw), which you let him see completely free of charge.

This doesn't mean that slowplaying is never correct, but there needs to be solid reasoning behind it. Out of position in this pot, I just don't see it.

techrush
02-26-2005, 12:44 AM
if i dont see a flush draw or a straight draw on the board ill usually try to slow play my set. i think in the future if someone bets at the pot and i have a set i will reraise and not just call...all part of the learning process i geuss.

fyi my opponent had 99...

curtains
02-26-2005, 12:50 AM
Well here is the point tehcrush, its situation dependant. Your opponent probably isn't going to give you a lot of his chips with 99 on a K52 board, except in one situation. That situation is if a 9 comes! So you are basically giving him a free shot to beat you without gaining anything in return.

Now of course your opponent won't always have a hand like this. Sometimes they will have something like AQ, and when that Ace comes on the turn they simply can't let it go. But on the reverse side, they could have KQ, and be ready to pay you off bigtime on the flop, and once that ace comes on the turn they don't like their hand anymore, and now you can't make any serious money off of them. You have to think about all of these factors, your opponents playing style, the type of board and so on before making your decision.

It's also dangerous to slowplay out of position, because your opponent can always just check behind you on the next street.