PDA

View Full Version : Compy's Crashing!

DavidC
02-25-2005, 11:50 PM
I'm at my wit's end here.

I've just spent a week trying to get my computer working.

It was put together by a couple friends of mine who are good at that sort of thing: this is the first I've heard of them having problems.

The computer crashes when I'm running a ton of stuff on it (8-tables, winamp, pt, pv).

It'll do this unexpectedly: just black screen reboot.

Steps we've taken:
-reset bios to normal
-replace HD and reinstall windows
-uninstall reinstall wireless NIC
-experimented with mem in dif slots + dif mem cards
-updated video card drivers
-tried enhanced video card drivers (omega)

I just want to know if anyone else is having these issues.

I'm like 99.995% certain that it's not the poker software, but please share with me if it is.

The next steps that I'm planning:
-swap cpu
-swap mobo
-swap power supply

Not necessarily in that order.

I'm not overclocking, and I've run memory tests. The temp on the motherboard is okay.

---

I don't believe that the "sad smilie" (post icon) adequately conveys my displeasure at the situation. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

--Dave.

Edit: Win XP Pro SP 1, Radeon vid card, 2ghz (at least, I'm not sure) cpu, intel pentium... I'm not really a hardware guy)

guitarhero14
02-26-2005, 03:27 AM
just curious, why dont you have Service Pack 2?

DavidC
02-26-2005, 01:53 PM
Well, the computer's new, so I haven't bothered yet.

I have to admit, SP2 is pretty cool.

I wouldn't say, at this point, that sp 1 is causing the crashing, though.

guitarhero14
02-26-2005, 04:04 PM
maybe SP1 isnt causing the problem but SP2 may fix it. You have tried so much might as well try. It's just a suggestion.

Terry
02-26-2005, 04:20 PM
Since you have the problem while running “a ton of stuff”, it sounds like a resource problem.

You don’t mention how much RAM you have. At least 512, right? Most people don’t need more than that, but you could be one of those who do. Running two sticks of different brands “might” cause some trouble ... it’s best if they are matched.

Take a look at Peak Commit Charge on the Performance tab of Task Manager to see if your Peak usage is approaching the Limit. Let Windows manage Virtual Memory if you’re not doing that. (Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance > Settings > Advanced) Setting Memory usage to best performance of System cache might help by making it more likely to crash a program than to crash the machine.

If it doesn’t turn out to be somehow memory resource related, I’d tend to suspect a faulty or undersized power supply next – just because your “ton of stuff” phrase makes me think you may have a ton of hardware stuff connected to the machine ... but if it’s not memory/resources, it does sound a lot more like a hardware than a software problem.

MyMindIsGoing
02-26-2005, 04:25 PM
Try switching the powersupply, this type of things happens if it is broken or too weak.

Dead
02-26-2005, 09:31 PM
Do power supply first.

If it still happens then it's more likely to be mobo than the cpu.

But the PS is the cheapest to swap out so do that one first.

MyMindIsGoing
02-27-2005, 11:26 AM
Would be even better to borrow one from a friend for a couple of hours.

DavidC
02-27-2005, 06:02 PM
Thanks for your help, guys.

I'm in a different town than my buddy for a few days, so I'm going to be checking temps / voltages on the mobo on my own, and I'll definitely try adjusting the cache size as stated by another poster.

The SP2 comment is noted as well... might be a possibility.

I have at least a gig of ram in there... pretty sure they're 2x512 sticks, same brand, and they're DDR.

My poor sleeving is going to have to be removed when I do the power supply, but it does sound like it's going to be the first to go.

--Dave.

MyMindIsGoing
02-27-2005, 06:24 PM
If it is a software problem you have it will most likeley be some kind of worm. If it was the ram the computer would freeze rather than restart. Sounds alot like power supply to me, my bet is that it is the power supply 8-9 times of 10.