PDA

View Full Version : anyone elses dad an [censored]?

daryn
02-25-2005, 09:36 PM
nm

Dominic
02-25-2005, 09:39 PM
No, only yours.

daryn
02-25-2005, 09:40 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
No, only yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

clearly this cannot be true

mmcd
02-25-2005, 09:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No, only yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure he's right.

daryn
02-25-2005, 09:43 PM
No, only yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

actually it was a poor attempt at humor, but just to prove my case, many consider george bush to be an [censored], and he has children. also clearly there is more than one [censored] in the world.

mmbt0ne
Ooh ooh! Mine is! Pick me!

peachy
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No, only yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

actually it was a poor attempt at humor, but just to prove my case, many consider george bush to be an [censored], and he has children. also clearly there is more than one [censored] in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

but just BECAUSE others dont like him...doesnt mean his daughters feel that way

Freakin
02-25-2005, 09:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No, only yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps it would help if we knew what was behind the [censored] censor.

Freakin

mmcd
02-25-2005, 10:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No, only yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I jumped the gun here. Do you have any siblings?

pshreck
02-25-2005, 10:05 PM
You definetly need to move out Daryn. I moved out when I was 21, money is tight, but I enjoy my life a ton more, and my relationship with my parents has actually improved.

Alobar
02-25-2005, 10:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
nm

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, it all makes so much sense now.

James282
02-25-2005, 10:22 PM
If you're going to whine about your Dad at least give us a story.
-James

Toro
02-25-2005, 10:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You definetly need to move out Daryn. I moved out when I was 21, money is tight, but I enjoy my life a ton more, and my relationship with my parents has actually improved.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good advice. I didn't get along with my parents at all until I got out of the house.

Sponger15SB
02-25-2005, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
nm

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure Daryn probably forgot to clean his room and so his dad sent him to his room without desert and grounded him for the weekend.

shadow29
02-25-2005, 10:25 PM
Yes.

I think that yes would be a dominant response in a poll.

peachy
02-25-2005, 10:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I moved out the month after HS......

peachy
02-25-2005, 10:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
nm

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure Daryn probably forgot to clean his room and so his dad sent him to his room without desert and grounded him for the weekend.

[/ QUOTE ]

u always crack me up

BusterStacks
02-25-2005, 10:43 PM
nm

theBruiser500
02-25-2005, 10:49 PM
People involved in the first 5 or so posts of this thread should be embarrased for being so stupid. I agree a story is needed Daryn. Also, I get along much better with my family when not living there.

Dr. Strangelove
02-25-2005, 11:56 PM
Well if Daryn isn't going to give a story I'll go. I only applied to three schools, harvard, stanford, and WSU, figuring if I wasn't going to go somewhere ultra-selective, who gives a [censored] where I go, it might as well be as cheap as possible, because I'd like to be as little of a financial burden on my parents as possible.

I don't get accepted by Harvard or Stanford, so I enroll at Washington State University. The first year my father pays for tuition as well as room and board. The second year I get an apartment with two of my friends which is I'm sure, much more economical than a dorm. But my dad refuses to pay for my room and board anymore, although he eventually agrees to give me $250 a month, which is supposed to cover rent, utilities and food.

This despite these facts:

1. I was not a [censored] up. I was ahead of schedule as far as my degree went, I was learning german and mandarin chinese, and I had maintained a 4.0 throughout my time at WSU.

2. My dad is not poor; he makes 200k+ per year.

3. He was obligated to pay all college expenses for each of his three children as per the terms of the divorce settlement with my mother.

I think the main reason he did this is he doesn't think college is necessary or even beneficial, as he never went. And he didn't really want me to go.

I know this is certainly no great hardship, but WTF? When I have kids of my own I will do everything in my power to ensure they go to college, encourage their pursuit of knowledge, and have every opportunity to enjoy the experience.

daryn
02-25-2005, 11:58 PM
no big story, things could be a lot worse. i just basically have no real relationship with my parents or siblings.

Alobar
02-26-2005, 12:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
no big story, things could be a lot worse. i just basically have no real relationship with my parents or siblings.

[/ QUOTE ]

That prolly has as much to do with you as with them.

I knwo you're going to take that as me just being an ass and talking [censored]. But it isn't. If a relationship with them is something you would value, YOU could do something to help it along.

tolbiny
02-26-2005, 12:02 AM
Since there is no poll to voice the dissenters.

No. My dad is great.

pshreck
02-26-2005, 12:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why do you still choose to live at home?

Alobar
02-26-2005, 12:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah no kidding...for someone who "destroys" the 10/20 game, and has scored some big tourny wins, its not like you are strapped for cash. What are you, like 23 anyway? Moving out would be a huge +EV move. The only reason anyone over the age of like 20 should still live with their parents is if they are poor.

James282
02-26-2005, 12:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Right...

daryn
02-26-2005, 12:45 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah no kidding...for someone who "destroys" the 10/20 game, and has scored some big tourny wins, its not like you are strapped for cash. What are you, like 23 anyway? Moving out would be a huge +EV move. The only reason anyone over the age of like 20 should still live with their parents is if they are poor.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not moving out until i can buy my own place. in my mind renting is just idiotic.

daryn
02-26-2005, 12:45 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

That prolly has as much to do with you as with them.

I knwo you're going to take that as me just being an ass and talking [censored]. But it isn't. If a relationship with them is something you would value, YOU could do something to help it along.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh i try. that's where this post comes in.

Alobar
02-26-2005, 12:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not moving out until i can buy my own place. in my mind renting is just idiotic.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know you don't gotta pay for the entire place all at once /images/graemlins/smile.gif

slickpoppa
02-26-2005, 12:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how is renting idiotic?

Prof. Chaos
02-26-2005, 12:48 AM
you need to move out.

daryn
02-26-2005, 12:50 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

how is renting idiotic?

[/ QUOTE ]

just throwing away money. i'd rather just wait a little while and buy.

daryn
02-26-2005, 12:50 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You know you don't gotta pay for the entire place all at once /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

clearly not

Alobar
02-26-2005, 12:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

clearly not

[/ QUOTE ]

well then you heard it here first. You don't gotta pay for the whole place all at once

pshreck
02-26-2005, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how is renting idiotic?

[/ QUOTE ]

just throwing away money. i'd rather just wait a little while and buy.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has to do with how you value things... but it makes sense to rent. Do I value living on my own, having a completely different social life, throwing parties when I want, going to Foxwoods till 5 am without ever having to deal with opinions from my family, and a trillion other things.... well, do I value this at atleast 10k a year? absolutely. I cant afford to buy anything yet, but my life is much better because of living away, and Ill accept that fact that I am not gaining capital as a neccesity to many people in their younger lives.

How do you um... deal with girls, living in your parents house?

daryn
02-26-2005, 12:54 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

clearly not

[/ QUOTE ]

well then you heard it here first. You don't gotta pay for the whole place all at once

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't get it. i don't have enough to move out, that's all.

slickpoppa
02-26-2005, 12:57 AM
maybe living with your parents when you dont like them and dont have to live with them is idiotic.

Alobar
02-26-2005, 12:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

i don't get it. i don't have enough to move out, that's all.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you not have enough to move out? Didnt you just win like 58K in some tourny? and if you are as good at 10/20 6max as you claim, you should easily be making a minimum of 10K a month. For someone who is trying to be smart with money (not renting), you have to be doing something incredibly wrong with it, in order to not be able to afford your own place.

daryn
02-26-2005, 01:00 AM
you know how much a place costs here? big bux.

i have about $60,000 in freed up cash. not enough. need a loan but that's tough to get w/ no job.

also, i play about 5 hours/week of poker. i'm sure i could make $10K/month 100%. i just think poker is boring.

daryn
02-26-2005, 01:00 AM
maybe living with your parents when you dont like them and dont have to live with them is idiotic.

[/ QUOTE ]

i never said i don't like my parents. [insult edited out]

NLSoldier
02-26-2005, 01:04 AM
If the word under the censor is "awesome d00d" then yep, mine sure is /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Alobar
02-26-2005, 01:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

i have about $60,000 in freed up cash. not enough. need a loan but that's tough to get w/ no job.

also, i play about 5 hours/week of poker. i'm sure i could make $10K/month 100%. i just think poker is boring.

[/ QUOTE ]

You looking to buy a 600K pad or something? 60K will get you a down payment easily enough. AS for not having a job, as long as your credit isnt [censored] up, all you have to do is get a stated income loan.

So play poker for more than 5 hours a week. Jesus, play hard for a month or two and youd easily have the cash. Its gotta be hella better than living with ure rents.

And since you arent playing poker or working a real job, how are you going to move out anytime in the foreseable future?

daryn
02-26-2005, 01:10 AM
stated income loan? do you pay way more interest? i gotta go chat w/ a real estate agent i guess. i've never heard of such a thing though. i've definitely heard of people having trouble getting a loan because of shaky work, like even if they have a job, they haven't been there long enough or this or that.

And since you arent playing poker or working a real job, how are you going to move out anytime in the foreseable future?

[/ QUOTE ]

thinking about getting a job. that would work.

nolanfan34
02-26-2005, 01:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude. WTF are you waiting for. Get a job, or go back to school. This isn't a tough choice.

You have an undergrad degree, right?

Not trolling you here, just seems like an easily solveable problem.

mmcd
02-26-2005, 01:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Play your ass for like 2-3 months, and you could probably buy a place outright at a foreclosure sale.

daryn
02-26-2005, 01:15 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude. WTF are you waiting for. Get a job, or go back to school. This isn't a tough choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

man jobs suck. more school def. out of the question at this point.

mmcd
02-26-2005, 01:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Get job. Get mortgage. Get house. Quit job.

daryn
02-26-2005, 01:21 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Get job. Get mortgage. Get house. Quit job.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah that was my plan. i think i need a personal advisor. i don't know [censored] about getting a job. i have had BS jobs before, but i mean a real job. resume? interview? i bet i could nail the interview.

theBruiser500
02-26-2005, 01:27 AM
I agree with you guys. I keep telling Daryn he's lazy. Daryn you want to move out so suck it up and play some poker so you can buy a place, I think it is pretty simple.

vanirra rice
02-26-2005, 01:27 AM
he spent all of his money on a boob job

daryn
02-26-2005, 01:30 AM
I agree with you guys. I keep telling Daryn he's lazy. Daryn you want to move out so suck it up and play some poker so you can buy a place, I think it is pretty simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know if it's lazy, or if i just find life boring. no idea of a job excites me, even playing poker is suck.

wacki
02-26-2005, 01:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why do you spend so much time on 2+2?

theBruiser500
02-26-2005, 01:33 AM
the logic i use to play poker when i'm bored of it is... say i'm doing nothing like watching tv which sucks then i will play poker which also sucks but since watching tv sucks i don't lose anything. and playing poker means i have money and more flexibility for the future so i don't have to play poker in the future when there is possibly a better use of my time.

Alobar
02-26-2005, 01:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
stated income loan? do you pay way more interest? i gotta go chat w/ a real estate agent i guess. i've never heard of such a thing though. i've definitely heard of people having trouble getting a loan because of shaky work, like even if they have a job, they haven't been there long enough or this or that.

[/ QUOTE ]

You will pay about half a point higher in interest, but [censored], it beats getting a job. Basically you just state how much you make a month, and they look to see if you've carried a big enough balance in your checking/saving/whereever your money is stored, account. So as long as your 60K isnt sitting in a poker/neteller account, you are golden.

But hell, you made it through college, so its obvious you can suck it up and do crap you hate, so you should easily be able to suck it up and play boring poker for 2 months

daryn
02-26-2005, 01:36 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why do you spend so much time on 2+2?

[/ QUOTE ]

just talking about BS on OOT. i don't come here for poker advice really. i have in the past.

daryn
02-26-2005, 01:37 AM
i will def. look into that stuff w/ a real estate agent.

coltrane
02-26-2005, 01:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

i don't know if it's lazy, or if i just find life boring.

[/ QUOTE ]

it certainly can be boring.....IMO doing something creative can help (i.e. - playing a musical instrument, writing, etc.)....

Alobar
02-26-2005, 01:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it certainly can be boring.....IMO doing something creative can help (i.e. - playing a musical instrument, writing, etc.)....

[/ QUOTE ]

or getting on some anti depresants

daryn

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

or getting on some anti depresants

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you got me figured wrong man. boring != depressed

Zoltri
I thought my Dad was a [censored] too until I had my own kids.
Looking back, I dont know how he managed himself not to kill me.

nolanfan34
02-26-2005, 02:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know if it's lazy, or if i just find life boring. no idea of a job excites me, even playing poker is suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that sucks then. I can't imagine not being able to find SOMETHING you'd be interested in based on what your major was. You were a physics guy though, right? Eh, that might be tough then.

This whole issue baffles me I guess. I mean, let's say you get your house, what are you going to do then? Just play a little bit of poker, and that's it?

And are you willing to move to find a job? Or do you want to stick around Boston?

wacki
02-26-2005, 02:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Medical depression doesn't mean sad.

MicroBob
02-26-2005, 02:13 AM
This is the Chinese 'year of the rooster' which also happens to coincide with my Dad's chinese astrological sign.

I have taken great pride in telling others that "my Dad is a cock" ever since learning this (usually when I'm with others at a Chinese restaurant).

Is this what you meant?

Isura
02-26-2005, 02:19 AM
LOL.

daryn
02-26-2005, 02:26 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that sucks then. I can't imagine not being able to find SOMETHING you'd be interested in based on what your major was. You were a physics guy though, right? Eh, that might be tough then.

This whole issue baffles me I guess. I mean, let's say you get your house, what are you going to do then? Just play a little bit of poker, and that's it?

And are you willing to move to find a job? Or do you want to stick around Boston?

[/ QUOTE ]

i think i want to stick around here. i'm really not that interested in a job, i don't know what to say. are you supposed to be interested in something? i just view a job as a money maker. unless i get a job like professional food taster/critic, or rock star, i don't see how you could really be thrilled to go to work every day.

daryn
02-26-2005, 02:26 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

Medical depression doesn't mean sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok fair enough, but i'm sure i'm not medically depressed either.

nolanfan34
02-26-2005, 02:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i think i want to stick around here. i'm really not that interested in a job, i don't know what to say. are you supposed to be interested in something? i just view a job as a money maker. unless i get a job like professional food taster/critic, or rock star, i don't see how you could really be thrilled to go to work every day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you've got me stumped. I don't view a job as a moneymaker in and of itself. I just applied recently for a job that I would kill for, practically work for free. Getting paid would just be a bonus. But I can see how some people wouldn't feel the same way.

My current job is good. I can't say I ever dread going into work or anything. But I'm the type of person who likes to chat people up, and the lack of personal contact if I was home all day would drive me crazy.

daryn
02-26-2005, 03:10 AM
i'm curious.. what job would you take almost working for free? i'm baffled by that statement. i like to chat people up too, but i guess i will always see work as work.

Daliman
02-26-2005, 03:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, just look at you. You're a Pizza delivery boy from the past who loves a one-eyed Alien Bimbo that sounds like Peg Bundy, and yer best friend is a robot that acts like an ass at all times.

DUH!

NLSoldier
02-26-2005, 03:54 AM
I think I feel pretty much the same way Daryn. I'm only a freshman and I don't even have an interest in a major, much less a job. Poker is alright, I enjoy playing (when I'm winning) but I guess I see it mostly as a way to build up some money so I can hopefully do whatever the hell I want in the future.

peachy
02-26-2005, 04:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

uummm for someone who acts smart....well im not even gonna say it....anyways
in our current economy gettin approved for a house is "easier" than gettin approved for a car! Uumm if u cant make ur payments the bank just takes ur house...no loss on thier part so they r only going to be making money off of u so of course they will give u a loan, hell some people only put down 10k or 20k on a 200+k house. Im against borrowing money for a house but thats because its been engrained into my head that u pay cash for everything, and i can afford this - u on the other hand cant for now, but that hasnt stopped 29340923942309420 other people in the world from "buying a home". Ur situation is no excuse and if others were as lucky as u to have 60k sitting ready to go into a house they would be all over it. Plus if u say u can make 10k per month playin 5 hrs a week (which i have my thoughts on) then ur a lazy SOB for not doing this - getting out on ur own - and starting YOUR OWN life

Property is one of the best invests u can make if u do it wisely...ur choices after all ur statements make me wonder about u

peachy
02-26-2005, 04:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah u sound like prime dateable material....

peachy
02-26-2005, 04:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like u need some serious medication and therapy...and im not kidding

daryn
02-26-2005, 04:56 AM

uummm for someone who acts smart....well im not even gonna say it....anyways

[/ QUOTE ]

oh please, by all means say it. i am curious.

[censored]
02-26-2005, 04:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't stand that [censored] Daryn but god you are the definition of dumb bitch. He sounds young, that's it and I'm not kidding.

daryn
02-26-2005, 04:59 AM
Plus if u say u can make 10k per month playin 5 hrs a week (which i have my thoughts on)

[/ QUOTE ]

i said that i COULD easily make $10k/mo playing online poker, not playing 5 hrs/week. to make $10k/mo, i would probably have to play around 20 hrs/week

peachy
02-26-2005, 05:01 AM
u lack motivation and thats sad...there has to be ONE thing in life that u would like to do...something that stimulates u...something that u want to be better at...something that DRIVES u...without these things u lead a hallow hallow life and ur intelligence is sadly wasted. And medication isnt for "depression" it just stimulates ur brain, hell already happy people can take it and be on top of the world, medication isnt a bad thing, and if u view ur life so bleakly and without passion id consider meds and see how u feel then, noone should go through life wasting it away

daryn
02-26-2005, 05:01 AM
god you are the definition of dumb bitch.

[/ QUOTE ]

funny, i recently said almost the same exact thing

daryn
02-26-2005, 05:04 AM
i'm all set with medication. too much medication in the world today.

peachy
02-26-2005, 05:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't stand that [censored] Daryn but god you are the definition of dumb bitch. He sounds young, that's it and I'm not kidding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats not young, thats unmotivated with life with no drive - young is the oppisite of that - they have passions but possible no direction as in they dont know which path to choose - not a lack of passion for ANYTHING....

daryn
02-26-2005, 05:05 AM
btw am i really alone in this? is there nobody else who has no PASSION in life? i have things i like to do.. just nothing that i could get paid to do. it's not like i don't enjoy life, i love it! but i was talking about jobs.

mmbt0ne
02-26-2005, 05:05 AM
So you're against religion since it is an opiate for the masses, but you are all for taking medication to boost a life that you call happy to begin with. I don't know what else to say about this, but I want to make sure I have this correct.

Also, paying cash for everything is a very bad thing to do.

peachy
02-26-2005, 05:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
btw am i really alone in this? is there nobody else who has no PASSION in life? i have things i like to do.. just nothing that i could get paid to do. it's not like i don't enjoy life, i love it! but i was talking about jobs.

[/ QUOTE ]

that relates to jobs...its basically u take what ur passionate about and do that for a living - thats a drive and a motivation

peachy
02-26-2005, 05:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So you're against religion since it is an opiate for the masses, but you are all for taking medication to boost a life that you call happy to begin with. I don't know what else to say about this, but I want to make sure I have this correct.

Also, paying cash for everything is a very bad thing to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

No i am not religious and yes i believe some people should be on medications - its a chemical imbalance that can be tilted back in the correct direction...its not like meds r BAD, the only time they r is when theyre incorrectly given or misused.

And no - paying cash for "major" purchases is never a bad move. I have used credit cards that i pay off to build credit, but paying cash for cars, houses, land etc is never bad because u always have that as collateral

daryn
02-26-2005, 05:12 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

that relates to jobs...its basically u take what ur passionate about and do that for a living - thats a drive and a motivation

[/ QUOTE ]

sometimes it's not easy to find people willing to pay you to do something you really like to do.

peachy
02-26-2005, 05:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

sometimes it's not easy to find people willing to pay you to do something you really like to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

then what do u like??

im sure u can make enough doing it to get by...or play poker on the side for extra cash...or marry some girl u LOVE that has money...there r many different choices but u should always have a job that makes u happy in some form or another

[censored]
02-26-2005, 05:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats not young, thats unmotivated with life with no drive - young is the oppisite of that - they have passions but possible no direction as in they dont know which path to choose - not a lack of passion for ANYTHING....

[/ QUOTE ]

Save the [censored] in depth analysis. I have a younger brother who is extremely intelligent and he pretty much feels the exact same way. Jobs are to earn money and they suck, he plays poker because it is easy money and he can do other things. His is video games. At some point he will grow up and find something that truly interests him, or perhaps he won't and will just play poker. What he won't do is listen to some no nothing who won't shut her mouth about whether or not he should get on medication.

I hate stupid bitches.

daryn
02-26-2005, 05:21 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

then what do u like??

im sure u can make enough doing it to get by...or play poker on the side for extra cash...or marry some girl u LOVE that has money...there r many different choices but u should always have a job that makes u happy in some form or another

[/ QUOTE ]

i really think that is BS ideal world type stuff.

toman8r
02-26-2005, 05:21 AM
i'm the same way.

daryn
02-26-2005, 05:22 AM
btw don't get me started on the fact that i believe love doesn't exist.

Michael Davis
02-26-2005, 05:25 AM
No, I am in the exactly the same boat and almost started a thread about WTF job should I do, because I have no clue, and find nothing interesting, at least nothing that I wouldn't have to put in 10 years doing crapwork before I could get to that position. I didn't start the thread because I doubted getting any serious responses. Maybe I'll head over to QLC.

-Michael

The Dude
02-26-2005, 05:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Renting is no worse than paying interest on a mortgage. If you can find an apartment to rent that would cost you $500, how is that worse than paying $1500 to buy a place, when $1200 of that in the beginning is going toward interest?

peachy
02-26-2005, 05:31 AM
thats fine....have a nice miserable life

[censored]
02-26-2005, 05:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No, I am in the exactly the same boat and almost started a thread about WTF job should I do, because I have no clue, and find nothing interesting, at least nothing that I wouldn't have to put in 10 years doing crapwork before I could get to that position. I didn't start the thread because I doubted getting any serious responses. Maybe I'll head over to QLC.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it is unreasonable to have a job that serves no other purpose than to earn money. Everyone is not going to find a job that brings them great satisfaction. You may be someone who finds happiness in a variety of other things. Hobbies, friends or family are just a few examples.

That said you can do things to reduce the pain of going to work each day. You need to determine if you like working in groups or alone? Do you want an open day where you things come up or do you want a more structured job in which you know what it is you will be doing each day? Do you want to work outside, travel or be creative? In short I you may never find a dream job but you can find something that you can tolerate.

daryn
02-26-2005, 05:33 AM

[/ QUOTE ]
Renting is no worse than paying interest on a mortgage. If you can find an apartment to rent that would cost you $500, how is that worse than paying $1500 to buy a place, when $1200 of that in the beginning is going toward interest?

[/ QUOTE ]

huh? the key difference being you own that joint.

[censored]
02-26-2005, 05:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Any mate you find can forget about the nice part.

Michael Davis
02-26-2005, 05:34 AM
Those are all interesting questions which I'd like to answer but I'm not going to hijack. In short, the answer to all of your questions, even the one with either/or categories, is no.

-Michael

[censored]
02-26-2005, 05:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Those are all interesting questions which I'd like to answer but I'm not going to hijack. In short, the answer to all of your questions, even the one with either/or categories, is no.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, yeah you're [censored] then.

peachy
02-26-2005, 05:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

tell that to the guys i date/am with....they dont seem to have a problem

or maybe im totally diluted and its all just sex and money

BreakEvenPlayer
02-26-2005, 05:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey man, how much traveling have you done? The trips I take to different countries and states from time to time have really given me a different outlook on life, along with opening up many opportunities.

You mention how expensive it would be to get a place where you live, but do you really have to live there? I don't know, it just sounds like you've been stuck in that Northeast cold for too long and you need to see something fresh to stimulate your mind.

I'm going to Brazil in August for 6 months and it's only going to cost me about $4,000-$5,000. Throw in the minimal poker that I will be playing down there and it might not cost much at all.

Just some thoughts man.

The Dude
02-26-2005, 05:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the key difference being you own that joint.

[/ QUOTE ]
Look, what I hear you saying is that you don't want to rent an apartment or a house, because it's like throwing away money. I agree, in the same sense that I agree that interest is throwing away money. Here's a real-life example that I talked to my friend about, after he recently bought a place.

He and his wife had been renting an apartment for about $700/ mo for almost two years. He apparantly got tired of "throwing money down the rent drain," and went and bought house. The house isn't that big, and isn't really nicer to live in than than the apartment he was in - in fact, the location is even less convenient than the apartment.

He is paying $1450/ mo to buy the house. About $1100 of that is currently going toward interest. That means he's really only buying the house at a pace of $350/mo (this will gradually increase as he pays off the principle). He's paying $400/ mo more in interest than he was paying in rent. Had he stayed in the apartment for another two years, and instead of getting a mortgage put the extra $750/ mo in a savings account he would be better off. He could have put an additional $18,000 down and been over $9,000 ahead of paying off the house than if he had gotten the mortgage two years earlier.

This is a long way of saying that, if you're willing to get a loan to pay for the house, that same money that you would be wasting on rent will now get wasted on interest. I'm sure you can understand this concept.

Prof. Chaos
02-26-2005, 05:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

tell that to the guys i date/am with....they dont seem to have a problem

or maybe im totally diluted and its all just sex and money

[/ QUOTE ]are you a girl?

AngryCola
02-26-2005, 05:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is completely false.

AngryCola
02-26-2005, 05:50 AM
Again, anyone who spells words like "you" as "u", can't be taken seriously.

peachy
02-26-2005, 05:54 AM
Yes im a girl....and AC...i dont care who takes me seriously its not my problem

My opinions r mine...they arent always right for everyone but i wont change what i think and i will always voice it no matter how much critism im gonna get...and if u have an issue with the way i type then block me

AngryCola
02-26-2005, 05:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

My opinions r mine...they arent always right for everyone but i wont change what i think and i will always voice it no matter how much critism im gonna get...and if u have an issue with the way i type then block me

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have an issue with you replying to my messages.
Of course, you are allowed to have your own opinions.
Why would you think I had a problem with that?
Just because I think you are wrong?

But -

It sounds like you might have a problem with people voicing their opinions if they happen disagree with you, which I do.

I also have the right to point out how foolish your ideas are..
I compltely disagree with you in every way in this thread.
You are wrong.

And yes, spelling words that way only makes you look stupider.

If you have a problem with that, you can block me.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then don't act like anything you say should be taken seriously, and you do act that way.

daryn
02-26-2005, 05:58 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey man, how much traveling have you done? The trips I take to different countries and states from time to time have really given me a different outlook on life, along with opening up many opportunities.

You mention how expensive it would be to get a place where you live, but do you really have to live there? I don't know, it just sounds like you've been stuck in that Northeast cold for too long and you need to see something fresh to stimulate your mind.

I'm going to Brazil in August for 6 months and it's only going to cost me about $4,000-$5,000. Throw in the minimal poker that I will be playing down there and it might not cost much at all.

Just some thoughts man.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh i love to travel. i am all over the place, and have all kinds of trips planned all around the world in the next few months. i also am interested in living in italy and trying to find work there for a period of time.

peachy
02-26-2005, 06:01 AM
i have no problem with other peoples opinions...ive been told im wrong and called a bitch and u dont see me freaking out! If i had a problem i would block whoever but noone on here would ever bother me that much...so its not an issue. And i type on boards as it is convinent for me (short hand)...im not here to present myself as some smart person and dont care if i appear one way or another...i am what i am

peachy
02-26-2005, 06:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just some thoughts man.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh i love to travel. i am all over the place, and have all kinds of trips planned all around the world in the next few months. i also am interested in living in italy and trying to find work there for a period of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then there is a start...find a job where u can travel alot! That way even if u dont like the "job" 100% ur still doing something u like

Prof. Chaos
02-26-2005, 06:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes im a girl

[/ QUOTE ] you had me at this.

Thank you.

AngryCola
02-26-2005, 06:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
u dont see me freaking out!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I do.

BreakEvenPlayer
02-26-2005, 06:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's good. I think a solid chunk of time being out on your own and away from the US can only be a positive experience.

peachy
02-26-2005, 06:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
u dont see me freaking out!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

uummm im not calling people curse words and flipping out...no

AngryCola
02-26-2005, 06:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
uummm im not calling people curse words and flipping out...no

[/ QUOTE ]

You got the first part right.

But if you think you're telling the truth about the second bit, perhaps you should consider some medication.

peachy
02-26-2005, 06:09 AM
u show me somewhere where i "flipped out"...nothing in life makes me flip out hardly...so nothing on here ever would

if it makes u feel better to think so....so be it

daryn
02-26-2005, 06:10 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

Just some thoughts man.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then there is a start...find a job where u can travel alot! That way even if u dont like the "job" 100% ur still doing something u like

[/ QUOTE ]

if only i could do it without the job part /images/graemlins/confused.gif

daryn
02-26-2005, 06:11 AM
dude, just thought of something, wouldn't buying still be the better option, since that interest you pay is tax deductible?

peachy
02-26-2005, 06:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

if only i could do it without the job part /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

u could if u searched around enough...it might take time and effort but if ur living at home for now u have time...there r jobs out there where they pay u to travel around and rate hotels, museums, etc. I mean if worse came to worse u could travel around and write ur own travelers guide

daryn
02-26-2005, 06:15 AM
ok see, that's a job i could dig. the problem is, are those jobs even real?? who wouldn't want them?

sure i'd love to travel around the world and rate hotels. i'd love to dine in fine restaurants every night and rate them.

where do you sign up???

peachy
02-26-2005, 06:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ok see, that's a job i could dig. the problem is, are those jobs even real?? who wouldn't want them?

sure i'd love to travel around the world and rate hotels. i'd love to dine in fine restaurants every night and rate them.

where do you sign up???

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha yes those jobs r real...id have to look it up for u, one of our other neighbors pays guys to do this, he owns the Ritz - so he sends poeople to make sure stuff is on the up and up. They pay u to travel plus cover ALL expenses

So dont say u dont have motivation for a job!! Keep thinking of things u like to do....
And a reason they arent all filled is sometimes people cant handle being away from friends/places they know for long periods of time and always living out of a suitcase...it wouldnt bother me though. Of course a few people love doing these kinds of things...so like i said ud need time on ur hands to find a job and land it...but u can go other ways with the travel thing too in this area - tasting foods at resturants all over or do similar reviews for magazines, write articles etc etc

daryn
02-26-2005, 06:25 AM
to me those are just fantasy jobs that nobody you know really has.

one thing i keep saying i would like to do for a while is move to italy and teach english.

peachy
02-26-2005, 06:27 AM
then y did u say that there were no jobs u wanted etc etc...then do these things while ur young, uve got money right now u can always move back if it fails!! Whats stopping u?

daryn
02-26-2005, 06:29 AM
no idea where to even begin i guess. plus that's not the type of thing you do for the rest of your life.

AngryCola
02-26-2005, 06:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
no idea where to even begin i guess. plus that's not the type of thing you do for the rest of your life.

[/ QUOTE ]

*DING*

Exactly.

(low content)

peachy
02-26-2005, 06:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

but its something u can do until u figure out what else u can do...plus u make connections...and work from there...its better to have some background in something than nothing and alot of companies would see ur willingness to travel a HUGE asset...how can this be bad???

daryn
02-26-2005, 06:35 AM
ok let's do it.

i posted a new thread so hopefully i get some golden advice.

peachy
02-26-2005, 06:38 AM
u made a life desicion on a whim at 530am hehe doesnt that feel good and exhilerating at all?? a boost of motivation!

daryn
02-26-2005, 06:47 AM
meh.

i have been thinking about this for a while. i'll get excited when i'm on the plane.

Lazymeatball
02-26-2005, 07:16 AM
I am adressing the Dude:
I think the main part you left out of your cost/benefit analysis is the fact that interest on a mortgage is tax deductible.

And what difference does it make if the first few months all your are paying is interest, you are paying the same amount every month for the next 15 years, what difference does it make how you break up the interest vs principle ratio?

jimdmcevoy
02-26-2005, 08:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
btw am i really alone in this? is there nobody else who has no PASSION in life?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. I just finished my physics degree and am living at home doing.... nothing.

What now? watch some TV, drink with some mates, go on some road trips, this and that.

I can only make about $3K a month by poker, but I'm getting better slowly, and living at home $3K a month is like $100 a day, plenty to bum around on.

My plan is to do nothing for a solid 6 months. I look at people who want so start their "careers" where they go to work every business day for 30 years, and it just seems pointless. My passion=0.

Although that thread started by Bruiser got me thinking I might give volunteering a try.

Bluffoon
02-26-2005, 10:20 AM
Go talk to somebody about it. You will learn about yourself and relationships and feel better about things and be able to make better choices and be a better parent to your children if/when you get the opportunity.

offTopic
02-26-2005, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Look, what I hear you saying is that you don't want to rent an apartment or a house, because it's like throwing away money. I agree, in the same sense that I agree that interest is throwing away money. Here's a real-life example that I talked to my friend about, after he recently bought a place.

He and his wife had been renting an apartment for about $700/ mo for almost two years. He apparantly got tired of "throwing money down the rent drain," and went and bought house. The house isn't that big, and isn't really nicer to live in than than the apartment he was in - in fact, the location is even less convenient than the apartment.

He is paying $1450/ mo to buy the house. About $1100 of that is currently going toward interest. That means he's really only buying the house at a pace of $350/mo (this will gradually increase as he pays off the principle). He's paying $400/ mo more in interest than he was paying in rent. Had he stayed in the apartment for another two years, and instead of getting a mortgage put the extra $750/ mo in a savings account he would be better off. He could have put an additional $18,000 down and been over $9,000 ahead of paying off the house than if he had gotten the mortgage two years earlier.

This is a long way of saying that, if you're willing to get a loan to pay for the house, that same money that you would be wasting on rent will now get wasted on interest. I'm sure you can understand this concept.

[/ QUOTE ]

- mortgage interest = tax deductible
- you don't build equity when you pay rent

TimM
02-26-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
- mortgage interest = tax deductible
- you don't build equity when you pay rent

[/ QUOTE ]

So a fraction of what you pay in interest you get back in reduced taxes. Figure that into the numbers.

Building equity is nice when housing prices are on the rise. If they start to fall, you could wind up in the hole.

If you bank the money that you save by renting, that money will build up fast too. Most people don't have the discipline to do this though.

There are also many other costs of owning a home vs. renting. Maintanence, repairs, property taxes, higher utility costs, some utilities are included in my rent, etc.

Dr. Strangelove
02-26-2005, 04:19 PM
Inflation. You real interest rate is the difference between inflation and the interest rate of the loan. If you think that there is the very real possibility of nasty inflation in the future (and I am), the thing to do is to leverage yourself as much as possible and buy the most expensive house you can afford to make payments on.

I heard about a person doing this during WW2 I believe, he got massively in debt to buy this huge hotel, and soon the currency was worth basically nothing. Basically a free hotel.

TimM
02-26-2005, 05:15 PM
Timing is everything though. You will hear all the success stories, and not much about the failures, who did the same thing only at the wrong time.

I would eventually like to buy a place, but will not do so if it will leave me cutting things very thin as far as paying the bills go.

Sponger15SB
02-26-2005, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously Daryn: What is your plan next week when you change your mind?

SomethingClever
02-26-2005, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
About $1100 of that is currently going toward interest.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize that all of that is tax deductible, don't you?

mmcd
02-26-2005, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am adressing the Dude:
I think the main part you left out of your cost/benefit analysis is the fact that interest on a mortgage is tax deductible.

And what difference does it make if the first few months all your are paying is interest, you are paying the same amount every month for the next 15 years, what difference does it make how you break up the interest vs principle ratio?

[/ QUOTE ]

Change "months" to "years" and "few" to "5-10"

1800GAMBLER
02-26-2005, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll 2nd your feelings.

There's pretty much nothing i want to do. Poker is mind numbing, i just sit there making the same moves over and over again there's no decisions, it amazes me how anyone who is a professional at it can enjoy it.

I can't think of any job i'd want. Using the question from Office Space, 'what would you do if you had a million dollars?' and that's meant to be your job, i really think i would do nothing. Well, i'd learn how to best invest it which i'd get bored of after 3 months then i'd do nothing. Which is the common pattern in my life.

daryn
02-26-2005, 05:53 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously Daryn: What is your plan next week when you change your mind?

[/ QUOTE ]

that's the beauty of life, you can change your mind. wow, i'd hate to meet the guy that doesn't!

The Dude
02-27-2005, 03:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
dude, just thought of something, wouldn't buying still be the better option, since that interest you pay is tax deductible?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, the interest being tax-deductible is a consideration, and you can mathematically figure out where the break-even point would be, but yes you can pay a little more in interest than in rent and come out even (unless, of course, you now have to itemize solely for mortgage interest instead of taking the standard deduction).

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of home ownership. It's just that most people have ill-conceived assumptions about the financial benefits of doing so.

My little story was meant to show that renting isn't necessarily throwing away money compared to buying a house. Compared to staying at home with your parents, it obviously is.

IndieMatty
02-27-2005, 03:52 AM
It is worth renting so you can have sex with a girl ina larger then twin bed without worrying abour your mom walking in.

OhBoy!
02-27-2005, 05:08 AM
My dad passed away years ago. Be happy your dad is still alive.

karokari
02-27-2005, 06:51 AM
Be happy to even have a dad, I dont remember anything about my dad. He died when I was under 2 years old.

daryn
02-27-2005, 07:13 AM
Be happy to even have a dad, I dont remember anything about my dad. He died when I was under 2 years old.

[/ QUOTE ]

i am, this was more of a blowing off steam post. my dad is really not a bad buy, but our relationship isn't what i'd call "good" either.

daryn
02-27-2005, 07:15 AM
It is worth renting so you can have sex with a girl ina larger then twin bed without worrying abour your mom walking in.

[/ QUOTE ]

i sleep on a couch every night, hahaha..

Michael Davis
02-27-2005, 08:12 AM
That's alright, at least you get over on Mom and Dad while at the same time satisfying all of your Freudian desires by doing it in your parents' bed.

-Michael

NLSoldier
02-27-2005, 08:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That's alright, at least you get over on Mom and Dad while at the same time satisfying all of your Freudian desires by doing it in your parents' bed.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmmm.....

codewarrior
02-27-2005, 08:55 AM
After reading this entire thread, I have one question for you -

Has life ever truely handed you any hardship? You simply sound spoiled to me. Getting back to your original post, your dad is a [censored] for not booting you out on your own to fend for yourself and mature a little.

I am not being snide or taking a shot at you, that's just my read.

daryn
02-27-2005, 09:01 AM
After reading this entire thread, I have one question for you -

Has life ever truely handed you any hardship? You simply sound spoiled to me. Getting back to your original post, your dad is a [censored] for not booting you out on your own to fend for yourself and mature a little.

I am not being snide or taking a shot at you, that's just my read.

[/ QUOTE ]

what kind of hardship do you mean? my family is not wealthy in the least. neither of my parents had jobs for a long time. i am far from spoiled, unless you consider spoiled meaning you have parents who don't kick you out of the house.

Homer
02-27-2005, 09:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
your dad is a [censored] for not booting you out on your own to fend for yourself and mature a little.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what the censored word was, but I can't imagine any such word fitting in there to make the sentence true.

daryn
02-27-2005, 09:06 AM
your dad is a [censored] for not booting you out on your own to fend for yourself and mature a little.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what the censored word was, but I can't imagine any such word fitting in there to make the sentence true.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha.. homer is awesome.

codewarrior
02-27-2005, 09:06 AM
I typed in "[censored]" manually to be in keeping with the original post.

codewarrior
02-27-2005, 09:10 AM
All I was getting at is it sounds like you have never truely wanted for anything. I remember when my mother was on hard times when I was small. I never knew it until I was older, because I lacked for nothing.

It is time for you to make your own way, whether is sucks or not, it's called growing up. I'll leave out the mother bird popping the baby bird out of the nest analogy for now.

oh, wait... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Homer
02-27-2005, 09:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I typed in "[censored]" manually to be in keeping with the original post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, but the meaning is the same regardless of the actual word. You think his dad sucks for not throwing him out on the street, which I think is kind of strange.

Michael Davis
02-27-2005, 09:11 AM
Your post offends me. It implies that because you grew up with some hardships somebody else who didn't doesn't understand something important about the world that you do. This strikes me as a peculiarly American line of BS.

-Michael

daryn
02-27-2005, 09:11 AM
All I was getting at is it sounds like you have never truely wanted for anything. I remember when my mother was on hard times when I was small. I never knew it until I was older, because I lacked for nothing.

It is time for you to make your own way, whether is sucks or not, it's called growing up. I'll leave out the mother bird popping the baby bird out of the nest analogy for now.

oh, wait... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't get what you are even saying really. clearly i wish to move out. please start making sense. thank you.

jimdmcevoy
02-27-2005, 11:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Your post offends me. It implies that because you grew up with some hardships somebody else who didn't doesn't understand something important about the world that you do. This strikes me as a peculiarly American line of BS.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

Fully agree here. Seems you need to start out poor and starving, then claw your way up the ladder by whatever means necessary, then become rich and have more money than you can spend.

The American Dream?

RunDownHouse
02-27-2005, 05:22 PM
I can't even believe this thread is still going.

The short hairs: No, nobody in the world has an [censored] for a dad.

If you want to travel/work abroad, do so. You're young, and I get the feeling that, unless you work up a nasty heroin habit, your life will turn out ok whether you work in Italy or work down the street.

By the way, price fluctuations are not a significant concern when buying/selling a house. Volume is much, much more sensitive to market conditions than price.

Shajen
02-28-2005, 10:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The interest is tax deductible. Plus, most all property appreciates, so he'll have something to show for his "wasted money".

Renting is clearly -EV.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-28-2005, 10:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The interest is tax deductible. Plus, most all property appreciates, so he'll have something to show for his "wasted money".

Renting is clearly -EV.

[/ QUOTE ]
The interest is in fact tax deductible, but that's far from meaning you'll get it all back. My wife and I bought a house in April and paid something like $11k in interest on our mortgage in 2004. Our federal tax return is only going to be about $2k this year compared to around $5k last year. It all depends on what tax bracket you're in, I guess.

There is no way you can just make a blanket statement saying either renting is wasted money or buying is wasted money. In fact, I'll even bring a poker-ism into OOT and say anyone who makes such a statement without talking about the specific circumstances is like NPA's favorite idiot move, when people say you should always raise/fold certain holdings without any mention of pot size. It always depends.

Also, Daryn - holy [censored] man. What the hell do you do all day? You have a college degree, but no job, you don't go to school any more, and you live with your parents? You allegedly kill the 10/20 and you just scored a big tournament win, but you won't play more than 5-10 hours a week? Then you complain about the situation when you're apparently unwilling to make your own move and do something about it? You can't make a resume and don't know how to even find yourself an interview? For someone who likes to make himself out to be so damned smart, you sure as hell are lacking in somethimg here. Suck it up, rent a place on the cheap for a while, and learn to live on your own. The life experience is worth more than the money you're 'wasting' on rent and you'll still be able to save towards a house. Once you get a job, you won't believe how much money they're willing to throw at you for a home loan, especially for first-time buyers - you can get one.

I'll agree with whoever said it before - if your dad's an ass, it's because he's letting you rot at home instead of making you make something of yourself. Maybe there are other things that make him an ass on top of that, I don't know about that, but for sure this is one thing. That doesn't mean just flat kicking you out, but it sure as hell means you should get your ass out of there and do something for yourself.

astroglide
02-28-2005, 12:39 PM
i think it's incredibly dumb to wait to leave because you want to 'have the american dream'. it's not a big deal.

LaggyLou
02-28-2005, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
in my mind renting is just idiotic.

[/ QUOTE ]

So everone who rents is an idiot? Um...please apply some of your legendary poker sense to real life and recognize that the correct answer to "is renting a good deal?" is "it depends."

Do you see why?

daveymck
02-28-2005, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Also, Daryn - holy [censored] man. What the hell do you do all day? You have a college degree, but no job, you don't go to school any more, and you live with your parents? You allegedly kill the 10/20 and you just scored a big tournament win, but you won't play more than 5-10 hours a week? Then you complain about the situation when you're apparently unwilling to make your own move and do something about it? You can't make a resume and don't know how to even find yourself an interview? For someone who likes to make himself out to be so damned smart, you sure as hell are lacking in somethimg here. Suck it up, rent a place on the cheap for a while, and learn to live on your own. The life experience is worth more than the money you're 'wasting' on rent and you'll still be able to save towards a house. Once you get a job, you won't believe how much money they're willing to throw at you for a home loan, especially for first-time buyers - you can get one.

I'll agree with whoever said it before - if your dad's an ass, it's because he's letting you rot at home instead of making you make something of yourself. Maybe there are other things that make him an ass on top of that, I don't know about that, but for sure this is one thing. That doesn't mean just flat kicking you out, but it sure as hell means you should get your ass out of there and do something for yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think his dads an ass for letting him stay, but it contributes to Daryns key problem that he has no real need or motivation to change his status quo.

Not renting and saving up for a house is sensible, but at heart Daryn is a kid (and I dont mean this condecending) who probably like many others has done the college thing but now doesnt actually know what he wants to do with his life and has little motivation to do anything to change, some of his posts on here in the past (help me think of a job, I might want a dog etc etc) are a sign of it. The difference between Daryn and others in this situation is that he has a situation of comfortable home life combined with a income stream that means he doesnt have to make a decision, except that he doesnt want to do poker for a living.

He is still young (is he 21/22?) and to me he is in a position where he can put off getting a proper job for a bit longer, I would suggest do the travelling thing, see the world do whatever use the time to deceide what he wants to do with himself in future then once he comes back then think about getting the job and buying the house, it may be once he has travelled that he will want to live outside his home town anyway.

I suspect a lot of the current college pros who post here will have the same issue once out of college, who wants to get into a $20-30k job when you can make so much playing poker, except you need the 20-30 job to get the 100+ job.

Shajen
02-28-2005, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Renting is clearly -EV.

[/ QUOTE ]
The interest is in fact tax deductible, but that's far from meaning you'll get it all back. My wife and I bought a house in April and paid something like $11k in interest on our mortgage in 2004. Our federal tax return is only going to be about $2k this year compared to around $5k last year. It all depends on what tax bracket you're in, I guess.

There is no way you can just make a blanket statement saying either renting is wasted money or buying is wasted money. In fact, I'll even bring a poker-ism into OOT and say anyone who makes such a statement without talking about the specific circumstances is like NPA's favorite idiot move, when people say you should always raise/fold certain holdings without any mention of pot size. It always depends.

[/ QUOTE ]

fair enough Patrick. Let me elaborate. The first 5 years I lived in Atlanta, I paid $60,000 in rent.

Last year I got back close to $4000 on my taxes, this year (sadly) only $3200. (moved up a tax bracket, it seems) A large part of this was due to me buying the house. The prior year, I owed $1200.

For me, buying a home was one of the best things I could have done. That $60k? Gone, and I'll never get even a sniff of it back. The home I live in now? I can sell it, plus I get tax money back from it. There are many things in life that are ambiguous, but buying a home (in my mind) is a +EV move. At least it was for me. I will never rent again.

astroglide
02-28-2005, 01:31 PM
i also don't get how people feel they 'own' a house when they have 12% equity. the bank owns it. it's not your house, your car, or your whatever until the loan is paid in full.

Patrick del Poker Grande
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Renting is clearly -EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

fair enough Patrick. Let me elaborate. The first 5 years I lived in Atlanta, I paid $60,000 in rent.

Last year I got back close to $4000 on my taxes, this year (sadly) only $3200. (moved up a tax bracket, it seems) A large part of this was due to me buying the house. The prior year, I owed $1200.

For me, buying a home was one of the best things I could have done. That $60k? Gone, and I'll never get even a sniff of it back. The home I live in now? I can sell it, plus I get tax money back from it. There are many things in life that are ambiguous, but buying a home (in my mind) is a +EV move. At least it was for me. I will never rent again.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh I definitely agree that buying a house is one of the best things you can do. I guess more than disagreeing with you, I'm disagreeing with the people who are coming out so strongly against renting in any situation. It's all very dependent on the situation. In general, though, I agree that it's best to not rent for a long time - get into a place of your own. It's definitely not the worst thing in the world to rent a place for a little while, though, to get out from under your parents when the time is right or to just check things out for a while when you're early on out on your own.

Sponger15SB
Patrick I nominate you for future father of the year. Good post.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-28-2005, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks

Shajen
02-28-2005, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, whatever. Like this [censored] is rocket science or something.

/images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

2planka
02-28-2005, 04:16 PM
Mine's dead.