PDA

View Full Version : Making a stand in the Big Blind

Isura
02-25-2005, 08:55 PM
Stars $3 + $0. About 70 people left, I have a decent stack of about T30,000 (average is 25,000). Blinds 2000/4000. It's folded to the button who raises to 12,000. I have seen him reraise the BB from the SB last hand, and raise a few other times in LP (haven't seen a hand yet though). Villian has T35,000 less the 12,000 raise.
I'm holding good old J7o in the BB, I figure he's folding anything but a top 5-6 hand. I push trying to steal and also make a stand that I'm willing to defend my blinds. Is this too risky of a play? The one time pulled a move like this before, it really paid off at the final table since no one raised me from LP for about 4 orbits, and I picked up so many blinds.

My general question is whether 1)This is a good play against most tight opponents late in a tourney and 2)Is it better to atleast have some kind of a hand to do it.
I'm trying to figure out the risk/reward ratio in making this type of play. Winning this pot increases my chip count to about 48,000 and I'm right in the top 6 in chips. Is there a more optimal bet size to make, say 1/2 my stack?
Do you think the blinds have to be even bigger relative to my stack to try this move? Sorry if the question is a little vague. I"m still trying to experiment with which types of aggressive plays are worthwhile in the late stages of MTT's.

P.S. Villian called and turned over AK this time. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

skoal2k4
02-25-2005, 08:59 PM
When I make a move like what you tried to do, I do it with any pair, Any Ace, or Any K with a 9 or higher for a kicker... I don't think I try to pull this off with J7o... at least both your cards were live though! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

SoCalPat
02-25-2005, 09:13 PM
I'm presuming you played solid poker to get to 30K in chips. Why risk it all on such a nothing hand?

You are aware that you'll get the button and it'll be folded to you often enough that you can try stealing then. But don't try it with J7o when it's been raised in front of you.

I think J7o is a perfectly fine hand to steal with when you're first to act with position. So is 72o. If you're played back at or are called, you have an easy fold unless the flop clobbers you.

This is a lousy hand to make a stand with. I'm with skoal on most of his hands with which to play back with -- except any ace (bigger aces would obviously get more leeway). You'll be dominated far too often by a bigger ace to pull it off profitably. In fact, I'd rather push with a big king than I would any ace because it's more likely both my cards will be in play should I be behind PF.