PDA

View Full Version : Playing 10 8s in low levels

Ryan527h
02-25-2005, 07:40 PM
What do you guys think about limping 10 8 s in early levels of a tournament. Yes, there are alot of players who could have a better hand, but also blinds are cheap.

1C5
02-25-2005, 07:42 PM
10,8s?

Right up there with 2,3s.

Sure, why not, its only a few chips right? /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Big Limpin'
02-25-2005, 07:54 PM
Never. Ever. ever ever ever, EVER. ok?

FishBurger
02-25-2005, 07:57 PM
It's not a bad idea if you have skills similar to those of Gustaf Hansen.

Ryan527h
02-25-2005, 08:10 PM
I figure for a little amount of chips, if you catch something 1/10 you will win more than 10BB's.

wiggs73
02-25-2005, 08:12 PM
No.

What kind of flop are you hoping for? This shouldn't need explaining, but if you're asking, it probably does, so here:

1) You flop a pair. - Most of the time, it won't even be top pair. If does happen to be, you pick up a very small pot or get called by A8 or AT and lose more chips. This isn't good.

2) You flop a flush draw - But it's not close to the nut flush draw. On top of that, it will most likely cost you to draw to it, and if you play to the river, you will only hit it roughly 1 in the 3 times. The majority of the time, you lose more chips. This is bad.

3) You flop a straight draw - See #2, replace the word "flush" with the word "straight". Also, the odds to making it are slightly worse.

Some of the flops you would like include:
1)T8x - will happen about 2% of the time.
2)TTx or 88x - will happen about 1.35% of the time.
3)79J - will happen about .33% of the time.

You can ignore all the numbers though. The point is, you will rarely see a flop that is truly good for you. When you consider the times you do vs. the times you don't, it is a very -EV move to play this hand, even early.

This thread is now over.

gasgod
02-25-2005, 08:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

This thread is now over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

GG

Ryan527h
02-25-2005, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No.

What kind of flop are you hoping for? This shouldn't need explaining, but if you're asking, it probably does, so here:

1) You flop a pair. - Most of the time, it won't even be top pair. If does happen to be, you pick up a very small pot or get called by A8 or AT and lose more chips. This isn't good.

2) You flop a flush draw - But it's not close to the nut flush draw. On top of that, it will most likely cost you to draw to it, and if you play to the river, you will only hit it roughly 1 in the 3 times. The majority of the time, you lose more chips. This is bad.

3) You flop a straight draw - See #2, replace the word "flush" with the word "straight". Also, the odds to making it are slightly worse.

Some of the flops you would like include:
1)T8x - will happen about 2% of the time.
2)TTx or 88x - will happen about 1.35% of the time.
3)79J - will happen about .33% of the time.

You can ignore all the numbers though. The point is, you will rarely see a flop that is truly good for you. When you consider the times you do vs. the times you don't, it is a very -EV move to play this hand, even early.

This thread is now over.

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah to make it profitable I had have to win 33x the blind when I actually hit two pair, a straight, trips, to make this profitable. Thanks.

spentrent
02-25-2005, 08:21 PM
You are the man.

wiggs73
02-25-2005, 08:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

This thread is now over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

GG

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously not /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah to make it profitable I had have to win 33x the blind when I actually hit two pair, a straight, trips, to make this profitable. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

And this is assuming you get away from the hand for whatever it costed you to limp with it. You could also lose chips getting outkicked, having middle pair, and chasing draws. Granted, you will win a few pots, but they won't compensate for the ones you lose.

Hope I didn't sound condescending in my first post. I used to do this sort of thing too until I realized it was costing me crazy chips. Early on, SNGs are about conserving chips. And often, in the lower buy-ins, you'll get doubled up early by just playing a good hand strongly. This is a lot easier and safer than playing a weak hand and hoping for an incredible flop.

assron
02-25-2005, 09:08 PM
There are worse things you could do in poker than play this hand in late position with the understanding that to make it profitable, you're going to have to take down a few flops where you completely miss or have very few outs. If you dont want to do this, I wouldnt play it. It's not generally the best idea in a SNG full of loose players imo, but if you know how to play a junk hand, you can do worse than this one.

ReDeYES88
02-26-2005, 01:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I used to do this sort of thing too until I realized it was costing me crazy chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

CRAZY chips

The Yugoslavian
02-26-2005, 02:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I used to do this sort of thing too until I realized it was costing me crazy chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

CRAZY chips

[/ QUOTE ]

These types of play used to cost me mad/crazy/insane/sick loot, yo.

Yugoslav

wiggs73
02-26-2005, 04:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

CRAZY chips

[/ QUOTE ]

These types of play used to cost me mad/crazy/insane/sick loot, yo.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Sick crazy chips kid, ya heard?

I'm sorry, I have no idea where the phrase 'crazy chips' came from, but if you think that I'm not fully planning on using it most of my posts from now on, you're only kidding yourself.

Crazy kidding yourself.