PDA

View Full Version : Who is the most famous person you know?

Zoltri
02-25-2005, 06:43 PM
Name any celeb, athlete, politician etc...that you actually know. This person should be a freind or at least an acquaintance of yours.

I would love to start but sadly I have no famous freinds.

Uston
02-25-2005, 06:46 PM
Clarkmeister.

B Dids
02-25-2005, 06:47 PM
Paluka.

My Dad and Grandfather are famous in some circles, 'cause they worked in radio. My Mom's Dad is famous in math circles.

swede123
02-25-2005, 06:48 PM
My wife's uncle is Kevin Weiberg, the Comissioner of the Big Twelve Conference. He's not exactly a celebrity but it helps when you want tickets to March Madness, good Bowl games etc.

Swede

[censored]
02-25-2005, 06:48 PM
I replied to a Greg Raymer post once. Does that count?

smudgex68
02-25-2005, 06:49 PM
me

fluff
02-25-2005, 06:51 PM
Alizee.

(Someone was gonna say it, might as well be me).

dr. klopek
02-25-2005, 06:52 PM
ThaSaltCracka

billyjex
02-25-2005, 06:56 PM
I know Lindsay Lohan's phone #.

pshreck
[ QUOTE ]
ThaSaltCracka

[/ QUOTE ]

Did his retirement from the forum make him famous?

Michael Davis
Anna Chlumsky.

-Michael

Sponger15SB
02-25-2005, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Name any celeb, athlete, politician etc...that you actually know. This person should be a freind or at least an acquaintance of yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been good friends with this guy for 7 years....

http://store.yahoo.com/ebodyboarding/9-31301.html

Emmitt2222
02-25-2005, 07:00 PM
retirement? Is that why he isnt around anymore? How did I miss that one?

Tron
02-25-2005, 07:00 PM
I am only one degree removed from a multitude of celebrities, but I haven't met a single one yet... I need to get to work on that.

ThaSaltCracka
02-25-2005, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ThaSaltCracka

[/ QUOTE ]

Dr. Klopek
Pizonered!!!!!!!!
SomethingClever
Balki
NolanFan23
Demana
Stabn
GoT
The Dude
Schaefer
Plaster
Wayabvpar
Kerssens

and of course.... bernie

SinCityGuy
02-25-2005, 07:04 PM
Ed Miller.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-25-2005, 07:05 PM
Bret Hull showed up at my uncle's retirement party.

shadow29
02-25-2005, 07:08 PM
US Senator Johnny Isakson (R-GA)

Most everyone else in local politics.

kenberman
02-25-2005, 07:11 PM
my uncle Herbie is in the Candlepin Bowling Hall of Fame.

I wish I was kidding.

astroglide
02-25-2005, 07:18 PM
i guess chris pronger. i know lots of the st louis blues personally.

daryn
02-25-2005, 07:20 PM
bobby brown /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Dynasty
02-25-2005, 07:25 PM
Here's someone I've worked with that has had quite a career since we last talked.

During my first year in college, I worked as the basketball team's manager (random jobs but mainly videotaping games). I dealt directly more often with the assistant coaches. But, I'd deal with the head coach a couple times a week and we talked occassionally.

The head coach left the basketball team after my freshman year and got a head coach job at a Big Ten school (I believe it was Iowa). Almost all of the basketball team was stunned that he landed such a great job. While he was a workaholic, his record as a head coach was nothing special. He was probably a .500 coach at Division II college ball.

After a couple years at the Big Ten school where the boosters defninitely did not like him, he left and landed an NBA assistant coaching job. That assistant coaching job lasted several years until the 2003-04 season where he became head coach of an NBA team.

The .500 Division II basketball coach now has a legitimate chance of winning the NBA Championship if his players stay healthy. The guy?

Stan Van Gundy- head coach, Miami Heat

Dynasty
02-25-2005, 07:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I wish I was kidding.

[/ QUOTE ]

That kicks ass. You should be proud.

mason55
02-25-2005, 07:32 PM
i know sean, the lead singer of Smile Empty Soul. not really that famous and every time i see him i tell him his band sucks, but he's actually a really really cool guy and really fun to hang out with. we had a party at our house last year with smile empty soul, finger eleven, and trapt. terrible music but they were fun guys to party with.

Zoltri
02-25-2005, 07:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i guess chris pronger. i know lots of the st louis blues personally.

[/ QUOTE ]
Astro, whats the story with Mike Danton?
I could imagine what his teammates are thinking.

Freakin
02-25-2005, 07:35 PM
Jerry from Blue Sky Mile...

Shajen
02-25-2005, 07:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ThaSaltCracka

[/ QUOTE ]

Dr. Klopek
Pizonered!!!!!!!!
SomethingClever
Balki
NolanFan23
Demana
Stabn
GoT
The Dude
Schaefer
Plaster
Wayabvpar
Kerssens

and of course.... bernie

[/ QUOTE ]

OOT needs it's resident cracka back. [censored]'s gone whacky man.

/images/graemlins/blush.gif

VBM
02-25-2005, 07:48 PM
i went to high school & college with Mike Ealy (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1013003/), of Barbershop/banging-Halle-Berry fame.

Cool guy, always got chicks...

SomethingClever
02-25-2005, 07:49 PM
I don't "know" many famous people, but I've interviewed a handful of them.

Sarah Michelle Gellar
Freddie Prinze Jr.
Matthew Lillard
Fred Savage (made an ass out of myself in front of him)
Verne Troyer
Seth Green
Beyonce
Robert Wagner
ThaSaltCracka

Other random celebrities I have bumped into in person.

Jimmy Kimmell (went to his old Fox Sports producers' birthday party)
Ron Perlman
Oded Fehr
Leonard Maltin
Ralph from the Kevin and Bean show
Kubiak (from Parker Lewis Can't Lose)
Simon Rex
Kiefer Sutherland
Pat O'Brien

There are others, but I can't remember. Beyonce's ass is even bigger in person than you expect.

jason_t
02-25-2005, 07:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My Mom's Dad is famous in math circles.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a (wannabe) mathematician; do you mind saying who it is?

[censored]
02-25-2005, 07:54 PM
How did you make an ass out of yourself in front of Fred Savage?

sourbeaver
02-25-2005, 07:59 PM
Me. I'm freakin' great.

SomethingClever
02-25-2005, 08:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How did you make an ass out of yourself in front of Fred Savage?

[/ QUOTE ]

This was at the press junket for "Austin Powers in Goldmember."

I had just seen "Undercover Brother," in which Doogie Howser has a strangely similar role to Fred's role in "Austin." IE: Both former child stars playing goofy sidekick roles in spy spoof movies.

So I begin my question by asking, "So Fred, have you seen 'Undercover Brother'?"

Before I even make the comparison, he knew exactly what I was going to get at, and replied with something like, "Oh, I haven't seen it, but Neil (Patrick Harris) is a good friend of mine, and we were joking around about how similar the roles were."

I was caught off-guard, because he answered my question before I could even ask it, so I just sort of muttered, "Well, you... should see it. It's a good movie. Good role.... [trailing off]"

There were a few other journalists there and we all sat in silence for a few seconds.

Then Fred says, "Oooohhkay... moving on....."

D'oh!

Alobar
02-25-2005, 08:05 PM
My cousin is friends with Kevin Johnson (former NBA all star)

My 2nd grade teachers name is engraved on the antena of the moon rover

thats all I got

IggyWH
02-25-2005, 08:08 PM
I went out bar hopping with Mark Cuban... good times good times!

M2d
02-25-2005, 08:16 PM
Benny Agbayahi
Joey Meyer
Glenn Braggs
Sid Fernandez
Daisuke Motoki (plays major league baseball in Japan)
Fred Van Dyke
Seamas Mercado
Carrie Ann Inaba
Kelly Hu (barely qualifies)

JTrout
02-25-2005, 08:18 PM
I've played golf with Payne Stewart, David Toms, Mike Weir, Archie Manning, Chris Dimarco, Sandy Lyle, ....and the CEO of Fleet Financial (though I can't recall his name)- Huge Red Sox fan.

Slacker13
02-25-2005, 08:22 PM
The only two I know are people you either don't remember or havn't heard of. Chuck Carr former outfielder for the Florida Marlins and Miwaukee Brewers, John Hope former pitcher for the Pirates, he actually had a no hitter going against the Marlins one day but cramped up and had to pull himself out of the game. The reason he cramped up was because he was with me until 5am getting loaded at a titty bar.

I have met a lot of famous athletes but the two above are the only ones I can say I could call and or hung out with regularly.

James282
02-25-2005, 08:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Benny Agbayani
Joey Meyer
Glenn Braggs
Sid Fernandez
Daisuke Motoki (plays major league baseball in Japan)
Fred Van Dyke
Seamas Mercado
Carrie Ann Inaba
Kelly Hu (barely qualifies)

[/ QUOTE ]

Benny Agbayani - easily the best person mentioned in this thread.
-James

Toro
02-25-2005, 08:30 PM
The CEO of Nascar and the GM of the Toronto Blue Jays

impecunious
02-25-2005, 08:31 PM
I don't "know" any famous people but I have met and talked to Keith Richards, Mo Vaughn, Gene Wilder, Paul Newman, and Michael Bolton. Also if anyone is from the tri-state area and listens to Mike & the Mad Dog I've talked to Chris Russo at Bobby Valentine's.

daryn
02-25-2005, 08:31 PM
oh my, i /images/graemlins/heart.gif kelly hu

nolanfan34
02-25-2005, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the GM of the Toronto Blue Jays

[/ QUOTE ] Should you talk to him again, ask him WTF is up with getting Shea Hillenbrand. Didn't he learn ANYTHING from Billy Beane?

M2d
02-25-2005, 08:32 PM
I played HS baseball against him (and against him all through our childhoods). he was a waaaay better football player in HS.

nolanfan34
02-25-2005, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
NolanFan23

[/ QUOTE ]

Who the hell is this NolanFan23 person? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

As for famous people...hmmm. Good friend I worked with at one of my old TV stations is now a correspondent for NBC Nightly and The Today Show...he's not "famous" yet, but will probably be the next Brian Williams in another 20 years.

Hung out with Scott Van Pelt a bit when I interned at The Golf Channel. If he remembered me at all, it might be for the fact that I made a pretty bold prediction to him, that the QB of my college team would be a Heisman finalist that next year. He thought I was crazy.

That QB.....Ryan Leaf. Knew him a little in college since I produced our sports highlights show.

peachy
02-25-2005, 08:41 PM
Zell Miller (related) DONT ask..i dont like talking about it (doesnt have anything to do with HIM its people asking)
Sam Nunn (psuedo uncle)
Quiet a few NFL players (a good number of the falcons, some of the guys we have traded, and a not so well know Josh Mallard)
Billy Crudup
Claire Danes
Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward
Elijah Wood
just to name a few...im too tired to think hard enough to realize if ive missed anyone

B Dids
02-25-2005, 08:43 PM
Theodore Ostrom, of the Ostrom/Wagner theory.

bunky9590
02-25-2005, 08:44 PM
Deborah Gibson

1 Eagles Cheerleader (Stepmothers niece)

Toro
02-25-2005, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Should you talk to him again, ask him WTF is up with getting Shea Hillenbrand. Didn't he learn ANYTHING from Billy Beane?

[/ QUOTE ]

Be more specific. I'd really like to scorch him.

nolanfan34
02-25-2005, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Be more specific. I'd really like to scorch him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Boy, you're serious, aren't you?

Let's see. Well, Hillenbrand is pretty much one of the poster children for being the anti-sabermetric friendly player. He hits for a good BA, but it's an empty one because he has a low OBP and not so good K/BB ratio. And his production level is fairly replaceable. Therefore, he's about the opposite of the high OBP/power guys that Oakland tries to target cheaply for their offense.

To make it worse, apparently he's going to be playing 1B, or DH'ing on and off with Eric Hinske, now that Corie Koskie was signed. So now you have a guy that might be good for 15 HR's playing one of your power hitter positions? It was a strange move from someone who was considered to be a saber-friendly guy.

Sponger15SB
02-25-2005, 09:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry, 48 replies and nobody has mentioned anyone that they know very well who is very famous.

edit - Maybe astroglide.

Rick Diesel
02-25-2005, 09:06 PM
A friend of mine is very good friends with Mark McCaroll, a scrub on Pittsburgh's basketball team. Anyway, McCaroll is good friends with 50 Cent. I only met him twice though, once before he was famous and once after, however both times were at crowded parties and there were groupies all over him, so I didn't have an opportunity to say anything but "Sup Bro?"

peachy
02-25-2005, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry, 48 replies and nobody has mentioned anyone that they know very well who is very famous.

edit - Maybe astroglide.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know everyone i named very well!! maybe they just arent famous to u guys standards LOL

nolanfan34
02-25-2005, 09:07 PM
I was impressed with the Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward name dropping. How do you know them?

tbach24
02-25-2005, 09:08 PM
I went to school with Bill Murray and Barry Bonds' sons and met Bill Murray. I actually passed up on a chance to go golfing with him (boy do I wish I could now). A couple of my cousins and uncles were famous among Track&Field addicts.

James Boston
02-25-2005, 09:09 PM
I don't know how famous they have to be, or how well I have to know them:

1) a buddy who is the Tennessee Titans mascot
2) a buddy who was an extra on the OC
3) a few co-workers who used to work on various nationally syndicated radio shows
4) a casual aquaintence that's in the Drive By Truckers
5) my aunt was Miss Alabama

...I guess that's not very impressive

radek2166
02-25-2005, 09:10 PM
Earnest Jackson RB SD PHILLY AND PITTS

Keith Hamilton DE NYG

Sponger15SB
02-25-2005, 09:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know everyone i named very well!! maybe they just arent famous to u guys standards LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, to be truely famous IMO almost everyone would know you.... like you said "quite a few NFL players" yet you didnt mention a single one, probably because nobody knows who they are.

peachy
02-25-2005, 09:16 PM
My roommate's mother (who is like a mom to me) grew up with Joanne in Marietta. About 2 years ago she and Paul Newman purchased a house here and moved back, although they tried to keep it quiet. So about once every other month or so Melanie's mom invites me and Melanie to brunch with her and Joanne. The 1st time all i knew was the womans name was Joanne that we were having sunday brunch with her at Melanie's and i didnt think anything of it. When i figured out who it was i was like WHOA...cause i always liked her growing up and have adored paul newman since i was a child (prolly my moms fault!!) Anyways, my roomie knew this so she didnt tell me to see me freak and suprise me. It sadly took me about 20 mins of talking to her to realize it was her (shes of course older now and i dont see her in the media as much) and a lightenbolt hit my brain when she said Paul would be along shortly....i was like WHOA BACK UP WTF!! in my head of course!! I gave mel this WTF look and she laughed, her mom goes we were seeing how long it would take u and they all laughed including Joanne. When Mr. Newman got there i couldnt speak!! I wanted to be likg OMG IVE LOVED U SINCE I CAN REMEMBER U ROCK!! but i didnt wanna be "one of those people" and contained myself lol Anyways, they r very down to earth people and nice as can be hahaha and needless to say after over a yr of sunday brunches here and there with them i am a lil more comfortable now...but still intimidated and in awe of paul newman. Hes around most of the time but we see/go shopping/etc with Joanne more, I dont even see her as someone overly famous anymore, hehe although some people dont know who she is - how unfortunate

tbach24
02-25-2005, 09:17 PM
6 degrees of seperation:

My dad works with a woman at Bay State Hospital who is neighbors with 50 cent. He also got me an autograph of Vinney Del Greco (the retired guard for the Spurs).

razor
02-25-2005, 09:23 PM
Paul Newman rocks! Hell of a race car driver... good actor too.

morgan180
02-25-2005, 09:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Sid Fernandez

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome

morgan180
02-25-2005, 09:26 PM
Mike Young, shortstop texas rangers - we were roommates in college.

Michael Davis
02-25-2005, 09:29 PM
Negro.

-Michael

peachy
02-25-2005, 09:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, to be truely famous IMO almost everyone would know you.... like you said "quite a few NFL players" yet you didnt mention a single one, probably because nobody knows who they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was just too tired to name them...but if u want a few here we go
Tim Dwight (he used to do my friend) lol i havent talked to him in a few years though because he was traded
Kevin Shaffer - he is engaged to my friend Tara
Deon Sanders (dad did alot of business with him)
Raplh Jocomora (i prolly butchered his last name) he used to play for them back in the 80ish he was a kicker -hes best friends with my uncle and works for him now
Josh Mallard (close friend - did play for the Colts but got pushed over to the Dolphins this yr)
Jamal Anderson used to be my neighbor (hes a cock)
Tererence Edwards - went to college with him
met Vick a few times...hes a GOD but im not a "friend"

These either live in my nieghborhood or i know them from Keith
Sean Brewer
Keith Brooking
TJ Duckett
Dwayne Morgan (not sure if thats how u spell his name)
Will Overstreet
JR Johnson

a bunch of others live in our neighborhood and i would have to ask my dad names b/c he knows them more so than I do, when they see me they say hi, but i dont keep them straight - alot are not so KNOWN and/or retired - its never been a huge deal for me to memorize all of them b/c i grew up in a nieghborhood around them (its next to the falcon training camp which is why a good number of them live in there)
So u see/meet a good number of them out at the bars around here too - which is how tara and monica met them and got engaged (i forget which one monica is with and i have lost touch with her moving so thats not important)

good enough for u??

TylerD
02-25-2005, 09:40 PM
The star of My Girl? Very Impressive.

slickpoppa
02-25-2005, 10:02 PM
I worked with Jeffrey Maier for a couple of summers (The kid who gave the Yankees a home run in that game against the Orioles)

Randy_Refeld
02-25-2005, 10:06 PM
I went to HS with Brad Paisley (country singer) and Willie Clay (NFL player).

RR

Paluka
02-25-2005, 10:08 PM
I don't know anyone. I think I'm more famous than anyone I know personally except other popular Magic celebs. Oh, and I guess I know Phil Laak.

Alobar
02-25-2005, 10:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
6 degrees of seperation:

My dad works with a woman at Bay State Hospital who is neighbors with 50 cent. He also got me an autograph of Vinney Del Greco (the retired guard for the Spurs).

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope he didnt sign it " del greco" cuz thats not his last name.

Toro
02-25-2005, 10:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Paul Newman rocks! Hell of a race car driver... good actor too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny line, if you meant it to be funny because he's a hell of an actor and a good race driver too.

peachy
02-25-2005, 10:33 PM
i was even more impressed with Mr. Newman (IF thats possible) when i found out the make no profit off thier food line - it is mostly donated...what a man!! they have food for cats and dogs now too!!

Alobar
02-25-2005, 10:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i was even more impressed with Mr. Newman (IF thats possible) when i found out the make no profit off thier food line - it is mostly donated...what a man!! they have food for cats and dogs now too!!

[/ QUOTE ]

His spagehtti sauce sucks! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

peachy
02-25-2005, 10:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

His spagehtti sauce sucks! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

IM TELLING ON U!!! Actually a few of them arent too bad...but growing up thats all my dad bought...mainly the dressings and honey mustard sauce....
funny thing is...i didnt even put two and two together until i was in HS that it was PAUL NEWMAN's stuff heheeh

goofball
02-25-2005, 10:41 PM
I met clyde drexler once.

still one of the top 5 days of my life

razor
02-25-2005, 10:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
a good race driver too

[/ QUOTE ]

one wonders what might have been had he got involved in racing much earlier in life.

Alobar
02-25-2005, 10:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

just cuz you met him? or did like something else noteworthy happen that day?

Isura
02-25-2005, 10:50 PM
Oshiomogho Atogwe.
Well he's not famous yet, but he's expected to be drafted in the 2005 NFL draft. Went to grade school together and competed against each other in high school. Look out for him in your next year's fantasy football drafts! He will get a ton of tackles (he's a safety).

http://gostanford.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/atogwe_oshiomogho00.html

tbach24
02-25-2005, 10:55 PM
I didn't think so, that's why I included the stuff about his team, etc. What's the actual spelling?

theBruiser500
02-25-2005, 11:03 PM
My dad is friend's with Supreme Court Justice Reinqhuists son.

theBruiser500
02-25-2005, 11:06 PM
Oh and also I just had a vivid dream of Spiderman/Tobey Maguire and when I see him on tv now I think of him as a friend of mine.

razor
02-25-2005, 11:11 PM
vivid dreams involving a masked person? somehow I didn't expect that person to be Spiderman.

Alobar
02-25-2005, 11:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't think so, that's why I included the stuff about his team, etc. What's the actual spelling?

[/ QUOTE ]

Del Negro

Alobar
02-25-2005, 11:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
vivid dreams involving a masked person? somehow I didn't expect that person to be Spiderman.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe EL Diablo was in the dream too, he just didnt mention it

Toro
02-26-2005, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My dad is friend's with Supreme Court Justice Reinqhuists son.

[/ QUOTE ]

Small world. I refereed some of his basketball games in a Summer league.

WillMagic
02-26-2005, 12:09 AM
I know Jonathan Tucker...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0006958/

We went to high school together.

I know, I know, I am the coolest.

Will

JTrout
02-26-2005, 12:21 AM
I went to H.S. with this guy.

Terry Catledge (http://magic.realgm.com/history/roster/playerfile/terrycatledge.phtml)

I was point guard. Got lots of assists!

bosoxfan
02-26-2005, 12:23 AM
When I was a kid I was on the same basketball team as Tanyon Sturtze.

Bob Moss
02-26-2005, 01:00 AM
You know JP? I used to work for his financial advisor... which really doesn't mean anything I suppose, although I do know more about the man's finances than the average person.

Bob

Toro
02-26-2005, 01:14 AM
Yes, JP and me go way back. His father played on semi pro teams that my father coached and JP and me played on several teams together in Worcester.

Funny about the finances. He goes to the bank where my wife works and she cashes his check all the time but she won't tell me how much he makes.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
02-26-2005, 01:24 AM
I was friends w/ reply and nobility (sp?) from the finger bangers. I also knew mike boogie.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
02-26-2005, 01:29 AM
oh, and i playing in the jazz band in HS w/ joey harrington. Hes a huge nerdy teddy bear.

and i met kevin bacon, so im 1 degree away.

theBruiser500
02-26-2005, 01:31 AM
Actually you guys all know someone famous, me. I'm going to be an superstar personality in the world in the future.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
02-26-2005, 01:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually you guys all know someone famous, me. I'm going to be an superstar personality in the world in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

you dont know me!

ttleistdci
02-26-2005, 01:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The CEO of Nascar and the GM of the Toronto Blue Jays

[/ QUOTE ]

JP's a good guy...lives in my town.

morgant
02-26-2005, 02:20 AM
Grew up with Wally Szczerbiak.

met Dr. Watson many times, dood won the nobel prize with Crick for discovering the structure of DNA.

if any of you know lacrosse, i grew up playing with Jay Jalbert and he is a very good friend of mine.

and my buddy Fardo thought he was Jim Morrison for a few days!!

Zoltri
02-26-2005, 02:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
and my buddy Fardo thought he was Jim Morrison for a few days!!

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sponger15SB
02-26-2005, 02:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

clyde is a reallllly nice guy.

one of the nicest NBA players i've met besides magic johnson

MicroBob
02-26-2005, 02:34 AM
Eric Gagne - LA Dodgers
Adrian Beltre - (but not as well)

Wayne Rosenthal - pitching coach Florida marlins

Chris Rose - formerly of Best Damn Sports Show period and also the play-by-play guy for many of the fox sports-net poker telecasts.

Beltre would only vaguely remember me.
Gagne and I hung out a couple times and he would definitely remember me.
Wayne Rosenthal and I used to bump into each other at least 2 or 3 times a year.

Chris Rose and I were okay friends in college and for awhile post-college too. did many student radio and TV broadcasts together.

Others include -

Wally Szczerbiak (kinda/sorta) - Minnesota Timberwolves
Randy Walker - head football coach, Northwestern U
Terry Hoeppner - New football coach at Indiana (formerly at Miami, Ohio)
Chris Kerber - play-by-play St. Louis Blues

My first visitor in the hospital after I was born was the governor of Wisconsin but I don't remember his name (my mom was a secretary in his office)

Finally -
I was in the press-box in Detroit during a rain-delay and somehow struck-up a lengthy conversation with some scruffy looking dude sitting next to me. We were talking baseball movies for some reason.
I knew he looked familiar...but it wasn't until about 2 hours in the conversation that I realized I was talking to the guy who was Squiggy on Laverne and Shirley (his hair wasn't slicked back like on the TV show and he was quite a bit older obviously...and he didn't use his charteristic geeky voice either).

He was also the play-by-play announcer in the movie League of Their Own as you might recall and had much gossip on director Penny Marshall and who she was sleeping with during the shooting...etc etc.
A fine conversation that I'm sure he would remember (hell....we chatted for 4 hours or so I think).

He was extremely baseball knowledgeable and had evidently been a part-owner of the Portland, Oregon minor-league team for a few years.

I asked him questions such as why he was doing play-by-play over the PA system in the movie and if that bothered him from a baseball-purist's point of view. he told me that he was concered about that too at first but the players who actually played in the league in the 1940's (who they kept on the set as advisers) informed him that this was actually done in some of their games.
Kinda cool.

Interestingly, the championship game that he broadcasts for the movie was filmed at old Bosse Field in Evansville, Ind (1919). I had called a few minor-league games there myself a couple years afer the movie came out so we both had the experience of working from that stadium's press-box.

good times.

morgant
02-26-2005, 02:45 AM
OMy, i forgot.......

the undertaker from WWF

i was in Philly watching my friend play lax, we were in the hotel next to the stadium afterwards partying. i get in the elevator and this mamoth dude, as i am unmamoth and 3 sheets to the wind, asks me if we are partying, and if i can help him find something.........then asks if i know who he is....he says to watch the WWF., blah, so the undertaker tried to score drugs from me.

And, John Mayer, i was in san diego a few years ago, went to see OAR play and he opened for them. i am out back smokin a cigarette sneak around a fence and end up in the backstage part. john mayer and his crew are smokin buts, and i ask why arent you partying(like a typical idiot college kid, i havent change much, dont worry), he said he has a gig tomorrow or some [censored], i was makin fun of him saying you are a rockstar....by law you have to do everything to excess and can you get me laid while you are at it......so then i went backstage and found all the bands [censored], and used one of their cell phones to make a few calls back east while using their latrine.....

bob, how do you know wally?

astroglide
02-26-2005, 03:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't even know who that is. don't follow hockey and i don't talk about hockey with any of the players. even less to talk about now though. i've known geoff courtnall for a long time and that's how i met the rest of the old schoolers.

pronger once gave me a laptop which i promptly ebayed a long time ago when i was broke, that was pretty sweet. i was playing casino poker with senor choppy at the time, probably 10/20 with choppy's money, when i got the call and started pumping the fist. it was pretty much a new one but it had some kind of problem and i was going to look at it for him. took a while to get around to it and he just bought another one and told me to keep it. good times.

maryfield48
02-26-2005, 03:31 AM
I know Courtney Walsh (http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/PLAYERS/WI/W/WALSH_CA_04001765/) - played against him at school and in club cricket after.

And I'm good friends with Jimmy Adams (http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PLAYERS/WI/A/ADAMS_JC_04002007/) - we played on the same club team for a while.

And Jackie Hendriks (http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PLAYERS/WI/H/HENDRIKS_JL_04001183/) is my second cousin.

Daliman
02-26-2005, 03:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
bobby brown /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Big deal. Anyone else who shared a cell in Jail with him could say the same. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Daliman
02-26-2005, 03:45 AM
Robert J Steinmiller III. He was a child actor, starred in "the Ref" and "jack the bear", among other things. I was in a musical with him in 1990, "Oliver", he was Oliver, and i was Bill Sykes("but we thought you were bigger....." /images/graemlins/mad.gif). I helped him a fair amount because I had played Oliver previously, and he was only like 8, but then again, he already had a lot of talent as he was cast shortly before that as Gavroche in the Chicago incarnation of "Les Miserables".

Also, I've partied with Jack Haley in Lacrosse, WI, shortly after the rodman experience and was invited for some "group activities" with some girls he picked up, but my buddy got sloppy drunk, and I had to take him back to the hotel room first. I hate friends.... /images/graemlins/mad.gif Also, one of my friends is 6'5", and looks a little like Toni Kukoc. Jack was passing him off as Toni to the hotties that kept flocking, and my buddy kept saying "no, no, i'm not him". Dumbass. Coulda gotten laid on a technicality...

Kinda funny, 2 days later in the paper, he said he never left the training facility of the CBA team he had just been sent to. Seems he's very married with kids..

kipin
02-26-2005, 03:51 AM
My grandmother is a blood descendant of Martin Luther.

mmbt0ne
02-26-2005, 04:03 AM
All of these are people I could either call right now, or get an audience with on pretty short notice. Not people who I randomly met or the like.

I know plenty of pro paintball players, but they aren't famous outside of that circle.

A bunch of football and basketball players here (btw, Calvin Johnson and Reggie Ball both suck hard at basketball).

Christopher Klaus, the founder of ISS and a GT grad.

My grandfather is pretty famous in History circles, especially Southern Historians.

Lazymeatball
02-26-2005, 04:28 AM
I went to high school and hung out a few times with Mark Orrel, the guitarist for "The Dropkick Murphies." I havn't talked to him in over 5 years, but I'm sure he'd remember me.

MasterShakes
02-26-2005, 04:38 AM
A good friend of mine used to be the backup Whammer (mascot for the Cleveland Cavaliers) about 8 years ago. He now referees local college and high school basketball.

I also know Mike Bogdan of Canton, Ohio.

peachy
02-26-2005, 04:41 AM
Forgot: Ted Turner and Mick Jagger
i didnt even think about him b/c im so used to him, he lives next door as does Mick Jagger on the other side of our property - but Jagger is rarely there so i dont know know him well although ive met him a few times (its his cousins house)

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
02-26-2005, 04:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Forgot: Ted Turner and Mick Jagger
i didnt even think about him b/c im so used to him, he lives next door as does Mick Jagger on the other side of our property - but Jagger is rarely there so i dont know know him well although ive met him a few times (its his cousins house)

[/ QUOTE ]

can i have some money? you seem to have more than you need.

peachy
02-26-2005, 05:06 AM
hahah its not MY money /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

plaster8
02-26-2005, 05:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dr. Klopek
Pizonered!!!!!!!!
SomethingClever
Balki
NolanFan23
Demana
Stabn
GoT
The Dude
Schaefer
Plaster
Wayabvpar
Kerssens

[/ QUOTE ]

Aww. I'm blushing. Hell, most people on this board don't know who the hell I am, let alone the general public.

plaster8
02-26-2005, 06:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hung out with Scott Van Pelt a bit when I interned at The Golf Channel.

[/ QUOTE ]

You interned at the Golf Channel? You bastard. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ThaSaltCracka
02-26-2005, 06:09 AM
that is a shame, you are good people.

Zoltri
02-26-2005, 07:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't even know who that is. don't follow hockey and i don't talk about hockey with any of the players. even less to talk about now though. i've known geoff courtnall for a long time and that's how i met the rest of the old schoolers.

pronger once gave me a laptop which i promptly ebayed a long time ago when i was broke, that was pretty sweet. i was playing casino poker with senor choppy at the time, probably 10/20 with choppy's money, when i got the call and started pumping the fist. it was pretty much a new one but it had some kind of problem and i was going to look at it for him. took a while to get around to it and he just bought another one and told me to keep it. good times.

[/ QUOTE ]
Mike Danton is a player of the St. Louis Blues who admitted that he sought to have his agent killed as part of a murder-for-hire plot. His arrest made headlines across North America. I'm surprised you never heard of him since you know the Blues players.

wall_st
02-26-2005, 08:31 AM
I went to high school and played on the same golf team as natalie Gulbis. She was so good she played on the boy's team at the time (no lesbian jokes please). This was right around the time she qualified for her first LPGA event, so it started to become known that she might be pretty damn good.

I also know Jim Barr former SF giants pitcher fairly well.

droolie
02-26-2005, 09:59 AM
My son Damon.

He's not that famous but was born during the 9th inning of the World Series final game. We are HUGE sox fans and named him Damon in honor of Johnny Damon. The local Boston news did a nice little human interest story on him and he was prominently discussed in Sports Illustrated Sprotsman of the Year article 12/6/04 (we are pictured on page 69)

Other than that nobody.

radek2166
02-26-2005, 10:06 AM
Post the pic

Toro
02-26-2005, 10:07 AM
If you let me go "twice removed" I'll bet no one can top this one. My sister's father-in-law was President Bush Sr's college roommate at Yale.

B Dids
02-26-2005, 11:02 AM
I'm supposedly related to both Harrison presidents. And Daniel Boone's second wife.

Another step out. My grandfather (dude in the picture) gave ABC's Keith Jackson his first on-air job while Keith was at WSU and they were pretty good friends.

droolie
02-26-2005, 11:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Post the pic

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have a scanner. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

JTrout
02-26-2005, 11:20 AM
We have a winner!

http://www.calendars.com/images/019/1902/200500002973_fc.jpg

B Dids
02-26-2005, 11:26 AM
No offense to your kin, but this chicks is hella overrated. Average to bad face on a nice body does not warrent this attention.

JTrout
02-26-2005, 11:41 AM
Kin? What?

If this face is ave. to bad, I'm moving to where you live.

I didn't realize she was getting too much attention.
My bad.

JGalt
02-26-2005, 11:42 AM
I went to school with all these people and hung out with two of them in my younger days. They are Canadian so you probably don't know them. lol

Jesse Nilsson (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0632235/)

Sarah Polley (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001631/)

Danielle Hampton (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0358964/) I still see her every once in awhile.

Zoltri
02-26-2005, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
We have a winner!

http://www.calendars.com/images/019/1902/200500002973_fc.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.brawl-hall.com/gallery/data/media/5/do_her_without_condom.jpg

mmbt0ne
02-26-2005, 12:06 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
If you let me go "twice removed" I'll bet no one can top this one. My sister's father-in-law was President Bush Sr's college roommate at Yale.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if we're going to play the removed game, my grandfather marched through Selma with Martin Luther King Jr. thanks to a personal invitation.

Paluka
02-26-2005, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm supposedly related to both Harrison presidents. And Daniel Boone's second wife.

Another step out. My grandfather (dude in the picture) gave ABC's Keith Jackson his first on-air job while Keith was at WSU and they were pretty good friends.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm a disgusting pervert, but the first time I read this I read "first on-air hand job".

Alobar
02-26-2005, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No offense to your kin, but this chicks is hella overrated. Average to bad face on a nice body does not warrent this attention.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are entirely correct sir, but you are forgetting she plays golf, where 95% of the women are dikish and ugly. the LPGA has seen what sex appeal can do for tennis (yummy!) and since their ratings suck they are desperate for anyone half way decent looking to promote.

Q8offsuit
02-26-2005, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I went to HS with Brad Paisley (country singer) and Willie Clay (NFL player).

RR

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are from either Glen Dale, McMechen, or Moundsville, WV, and you went to John Marshall High School? Quite impressive! It is very possible I know you as well!

Sponger15SB
02-26-2005, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My son Damon.

He's not that famous but was born during the 9th inning of the World Series final game. We are HUGE sox fans and named him Damon in honor of Johnny Damon. The local Boston news did a nice little human interest story on him and he was prominently discussed in Sports Illustrated Sprotsman of the Year article 12/6/04 (we are pictured on page 69)

Other than that nobody.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you've heard this before, but....

damn that sounds cool.

stanky
02-26-2005, 02:25 PM
My cousin was the pink Power Ranger.

-Pete

astroglide
02-26-2005, 02:26 PM
oh, that guy. yeah i've heard of him and it's another "not really discussed" thing.

wacki
02-26-2005, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My cousin was the pink Power Ranger.

-Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to have a nudy pic of her. I lost it. /images/graemlins/mad.gif It's too bad because your cousine has a nice bod.

Toro
02-26-2005, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All right, all right. no need to pile on.

manpower
02-26-2005, 04:17 PM
I became related to a former governor and a former congressman, as well as some less notable politicians through marraige a few years ago. I see 'em once a year or so.

astroglide
02-26-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My cousin was the pink Power Ranger

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, that's sweet! i always wanted to bang one of the local random cartoon announcers "channel whatever KIDS FORCE!" you know, they're like 18+ and they're just this random group with different colored tshirts that tell you what cartoons are coming on next. that would be some solid smugness. or banging somebody like vicky from small wonder.

Peca277
02-26-2005, 05:55 PM
I interned for Charles Duelfer right before he took over from David Kay as the head weapons inspector in Iraq. Right now I'm hoping his recommendation will help me get into Georgetown.

BradleyT
02-26-2005, 10:21 PM
I lived right next door to Kevin Tapani the baseball pitcher, but he was 10 years older than me and we moved when I was 2 so I never met the dude.

citanul
02-27-2005, 12:19 AM
you do understand that that makes *you* a "blood descendant" (what other kind of descendant is there????) of martin luther, right? (is descendent spelled with a final e or a final a?)

citanul

MicroBob
02-27-2005, 12:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
bob, how do you know wally?

[/ QUOTE ]

I grew up in Oxford, OH, went to Miami (Ohio) University and also worked in their athletic department as an announcer for their hockey and women's hoops teams.

I had interviewed him a number of times for half-time and post-game shows, etc. (although I wasn't the play-by-play guy for the men's games).

I was sitting court-side (press-row) when Wally led Miami to the sweet 16 in 1999. As a 10 seed they had back to back wins over 7-seed Washington and 2-seed Utah.

If I bumped into him again I'd have ro remind him where he knows me from and he probably doesn't know my name so I was reluctant to include that one.
but hell, I'd see him around and say hello....and interviewed him enough times....so it kinda counts.

Here's one that isn't me but is a relative.
Chris Farley grew up next-door to my grandfather in Madison. My grandpa was pretty friendly with Farley's parents (something about the Farleys attending some of my relative's weddings....or vice-versa). but he just thought of chris as a pretty hyper kid and certainly didn't foresee any fame in his future.

Later....when the parents told him to watch Chris on SNL my grandfather said "I just didn't think he was that funny."

when my mom worked at the governor's office in wisconsin the guy at the desk next to (or maybe it was across...whatever) was Dick Cheney.
This would have been 1969 or 1970 (the year I was born).

I once rode in an elevator with George W. bush back when he was just the owner of the Texas Rangers.

I also rode in an elevator with Peter Gammons and struck up a conversation with him. Thankfully, it was a slow elevator.

kipin
02-27-2005, 12:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you do understand that that makes *you* a "blood descendant" (what other kind of descendant is there????) of martin luther, right? (is descendent spelled with a final e or a final a?)

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

She is actually my step grandmother (my real grandmother died when my mom was 7) so unfortunately I am not actually a descendant of Martin Luther (not King Jr.)

The-Matador
02-27-2005, 02:40 AM
I know Paul Martin and the rest of the liberal crew pretty well. Know many of the Canadian Alliance. Also friends with the Hip through a mutual friend.

Oh, also knew Stephen Hawking I guess as well I could have under the circumstances. Was friends with his 2002 caregiver (they switch every year). Almost ran him over on my bike once too.

kyro
02-27-2005, 08:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I wish I was kidding.

[/ QUOTE ]

That kicks ass. You should be proud.

[/ QUOTE ]

Candlepin &gt; Tenpin

astroglide
02-27-2005, 02:59 PM
you get in there if you bowl 300s too, i believe my dad's in it several times for that

Dominic
02-27-2005, 06:18 PM
I'm friends with Quentin Tarantino. Through him I have met other, more famous people - but I wouldn't call them friends.