PDA

View Full Version : will rock ever experience another 1991?

MEbenhoe
02-25-2005, 06:35 PM
Nirvana releases Nevermind
Pearl Jam releases Ten
U2 releases Achtung Baby
Guns N Roses releases Use Your Illusion I & II
Metallica releases Metallica (Black)

To think that all these albums were released in one year, and this is just the tip of the iceberg, and then compare it to the crap that is coming out today makes me wonder if rock is just spiraling out of control towards becoming complete garbage. Or was '91 just a really good year? /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Paluka
02-25-2005, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nirvana releases Nevermind
Pearl Jam releases Ten
U2 releases Achtung Baby
Guns N Roses releases Use Your Illusion I & II
Metallica releases Metallica (Black)

To think that all these albums were released in one year, and this is just the tip of the iceberg, and then compare it to the crap that is coming out today makes me wonder if rock is just spiraling out of control towards becoming complete garbage. Or was '91 just a really good year? /images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The Black Album was pretty awful. 1986 featured the release of Master of Puppets and Reign in Blood. Now that's a year.

jimdmcevoy
02-25-2005, 06:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Black Album was pretty awful

[/ QUOTE ]

You serious? I thought this was like one of the best metal cd's ever..

Edge34
02-25-2005, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The Black Album was pretty awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how any fan of this music can possibly say that...

B Dids
02-25-2005, 06:46 PM
I'm not a Metal or Metallica fan, but every person I know who fits that definition can't stand The Black Album relative to their earlier work.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-25-2005, 06:47 PM
You forgot the Smashing Pumpkins' Gish!

MEbenhoe
02-25-2005, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a Metal or Metallica fan, but every person I know who fits that definition can't stand The Black Album relative to their earlier work.

[/ QUOTE ]

To contrast this, I don't know a metal or Metallica fan who doesn't list this as one of the greatest albums ever.

MEbenhoe
02-25-2005, 06:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You forgot the Smashing Pumpkins' Gish!

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
and this is just the tip of the iceberg

[/ QUOTE ]

obithrawn
02-25-2005, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The Black Album was pretty awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how any fan of this music can possibly say that...

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a very ignorant statement to make.

As a rock album I feel the black album does a very good job of doing what it wants to, it appeals to a large audience and sells many millions of copies. It has several very catchy songs and a band who is willings to tour nonstop to promote it.

As a metal album it fails miserably, it doesn't break any new ground or have any interesting riffs. Its very boring and unthreatening throughout, lacking any of the emotion/energy that drove earlier Metallica work.

obithrawn
02-25-2005, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To contrast this, I don't know a metal or Metallica fan who doesn't list this as one of the greatest albums ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't know any fans who know the genre well, then.

MEbenhoe
02-25-2005, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't know any fans who know the genre well, then.

[/ QUOTE ]

note the title of this post is will rock ever experience another 1991, not metal.

As far as metal fans, your response to edge's post was the typical I know more about music than you when you actually dont.

obithrawn
02-25-2005, 07:02 PM
I'm responding to your comments about the metal fans you know, as well as Paluka's post.

edit: more importantly, creating an album that sells well doesn't mean there is actual talent being displayed

Edge34
02-25-2005, 07:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm responding to your comments about the metal fans you know, as well as Paluka's post.

edit: more importantly, creating an album that sells well doesn't mean there is actual talent being displayed

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to just assume you're not saying there was no actual talent being displayed on the Black Album?

If that's what you're saying, you're probably the type of music guy who likes to listen to bands with 300 fans just because they're "real" and haven't "sold out".

razor
02-25-2005, 07:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it does, although probably not the talent you are taking about...

MEbenhoe
02-25-2005, 07:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As a metal album it fails miserably, it doesn't break any new ground or have any interesting riffs. Its very boring and unthreatening throughout, lacking any of the emotion/energy that drove earlier Metallica work.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has no interesting riffs? Enter Sandman? The Unforgiven? Don't Tread on Me?

Groundbreaking? The entire album was groundbreaking, basically the first metal group to release a cd with a polished sound like this. And they stuck themselves out by putting a song like nothing else matters on it.

So let me guess you're one of those "self-proclaimed" metal experts who only enjoys those great metal bands of today who only know how to play two power chords and scream over the top of it? Slipknot fan maybe?

[censored]
02-25-2005, 07:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there a word for a music filmy?

Paluka
02-25-2005, 07:11 PM
I just think that including the black album on this list is an insult to those other records. All those other ones are great performances by bands doing what they do best. The Black Album is an example of a band whose music has limited appeal selling out in an effort to make money.

Edge34
02-25-2005, 07:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Black Album is an example of a band whose music has limited appeal selling out in an effort to make money.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're gonna need to come a lot stronger than that. The Unforgiven, Enter Sandman, Nothing Else Matters, and more...how are these NOT good songs?

EDIT TO ADD: It may not be everyone's favorite, but I think "selling out" is WAY too harsh in this case.

MEbenhoe
02-25-2005, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just think that including the black album on this list is an insult to those other records. All those other ones are great performances by bands doing what they do best. The Black Album is an example of a band whose music has limited appeal selling out in an effort to make money.

[/ QUOTE ]

You say this only due to their early work, as though bands aren't allowed to explore other areas of music. A great example of this is the red hot chili peppers. They've retooled their sound from their early days and still put out great albums. You can't argue the greatness of the black album. It's one of the best selling rock albums of all time. It reached a mass audience, and most Metallica fans do love this album, even if they do like some of their other albums better.

limited appeal? Selling out to make money?
They were quite well off before that and were already one of the most popular rock bands out there. Now for some reason because they changed their sound and made something a lot of people liked they sold out? You're like the people who argue that Green Day sold out when they made Dookie, but Dookie is still a great album.

Alobar
02-25-2005, 08:14 PM
2/5 of those albums suck ass (pearl Jam and U2) and the GNR is a giant MEH.

Shajen
02-25-2005, 08:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2/5 of those albums suck ass (pearl Jam and U2) and the GNR is a giant MEH.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pearl Jam does not "suck ass".

istewart
02-25-2005, 08:16 PM
The Black Album is a very good album but yes, among metal fans it is generally regarded as quite weak compared to Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning, and of course, ...And Justice for All.

1991 was a good year though. Ten is an awesome album Alobar /images/graemlins/cool.gif

7ontheline
02-25-2005, 09:02 PM
I have to agree that the Black Album is not a great album - a well done album with mass appeal, but certainly not Metallica's finest effort. The reason I think it falls short of the other albums on your list is because if you ask people who are fans of the band most (in my experience) will not list the Black album as one of the best Metallica albums. The other albums on your list are great if you like the band in question.

James Boston
02-25-2005, 09:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1986 featured the release of Master of Puppets and Reign in Blood. Now that's a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot Appetite For Destruction

James Boston
02-25-2005, 09:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pearl Jam does not "suck ass".

[/ QUOTE ]

Ten & Vs. doesn't. Pearl Jam does, these days anyway.

ClaytonN
02-25-2005, 09:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're gonna need to come a lot stronger than that. The Unforgiven, Enter Sandman, Nothing Else Matters, and more...how are these NOT good songs?

EDIT TO ADD: It may not be everyone's favorite, but I think "selling out" is WAY too harsh in this case.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a big difference between the two albums. Metallica had developed a core of fans that was used to a more dark, metall-y headbanging type of music in the mid-eighties, not very radio friendly.

Black has a lot of great songs, but it was a bit different from the original albums, hence why some people think that album sucks. They like the old stuff better.

hmohnphd
02-25-2005, 09:26 PM
If you're going to pick a year in rock to glorify, you can do a lot better than 1991.

ClaytonN
02-25-2005, 09:29 PM
When it comes to grunge rock, 1991 is the only year.

But there's lots of rock. Gay hair metal band rock, sixties/seventies rock, and the buddy holly style rock of the fifties.

MEbenhoe
02-25-2005, 09:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to pick a year in rock to glorify, you can do a lot better than 1991.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clayton pretty much already made the point, but 1991 was important as he said because it was the pinnacle of grunge rock. All the other eras for the most part had a big year as well. However, since 1991 there really isn't another year that just defines an era of music. Hence the question "will rock ever experience another 1991?"

Fratony
02-25-2005, 11:17 PM
how bout the era of crap pop MTV rock. Theres plenty of that right now, and i think maroon 5 takes the cake on that one.

Alobar
02-26-2005, 12:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Clayton pretty much already made the point, but 1991 was important as he said because it was the pinnacle of grunge rock. All the other eras for the most part had a big year as well. However, since 1991 there really isn't another year that just defines an era of music. Hence the question "will rock ever experience another 1991?"

[/ QUOTE ]

I could be wrong, but didnt Tool, Rage Against the Machine and Soundgarden all come out in 94? A much better year IMO, as the only band worth crap on the 91 "ballett" is Nirvana. I really like the black album, but it has alot of detractors, and for valid reasons.

istewart
02-26-2005, 12:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I could be wrong, but didnt Tool, Rage Against the Machine and Soundgarden all come out in 94? A much better year IMO, as the only band worth crap on the 91 "ballett" is Nirvana. I really like the black album, but it has alot of detractors, and for valid reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they didn't all come out then. Earlier for each I believe.

MEbenhoe
02-26-2005, 12:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I could be wrong, but didnt Tool, Rage Against the Machine and Soundgarden all come out in 94?

[/ QUOTE ]

Soundgarden had an album out in 91 actually, Rage in 92, not sure about Tool

astroglide
02-26-2005, 03:30 AM
the black album is a pile of mediocre [censored] from start to finish

Lazymeatball
02-26-2005, 07:50 AM
Alice in Chains put out an album in '90 and '92. I just feel they need to be included in this discussion somehow.

Nine inch Nails was also pretty active around this time.

Stone Temple Pilots put out their first album in '92.

And the Chilli Peppers put out an album in '91, but I believe they have been mentioned.
all in all, good times

Yeti
02-26-2005, 08:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1986 featured the release of Master of Puppets and Reign in Blood. Now that's a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot Appetite For Destruction

[/ QUOTE ]

Appetite was 87.

GNR are _not_ a 'MEH'.
The Black Album is pretty good, kids.

daveymck
02-26-2005, 08:57 AM
Was appetite not 88/89?

That was a better time than 91 Justice came out, Seventh Son by Maiden, Operation Mindcrime by Queensryche, SOuth of Heaven by slayer and many many more.

The black album is ok I was dissapointed by it at the time but it is a good if incosistant album, for every Unforgiven there is a Wolf and Man.

The-Matador
02-26-2005, 09:46 AM
1992 was Automatic for the People, so, well, its better than 1991.