PDA

View Full Version : Do you like how I played this ?

theredpill5
02-25-2005, 05:59 PM
Lately, I've been getting too much respect at the tables so I thought I'd lower my raising standards. I think I'm too predictable.

8 handed .25/.50 NL

Hero has K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Hero $63 SB
Villain $21
UTG folds
MP calls
CO calls
Button calls
Hero raises to $2.50
BB folds
MP folds
CO calls (he always calls and always seems to have an ace whenever I raise) ....poor player and a calling station
button folds

Flop: 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif pot=6.65
Hero bets $3
CO raises to $6
Hero calls (getting 5 to 1 here)

Turn: 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif pot=$20
Hero checks
Villain All-in for $11
Hero calls

River: 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif

Villain shows
A/images/graemlins/club.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif

How is it that these guys know that I have no ace ? Is it my check on the turn ? I don't think this guy folds no matter what even if I did reraise all-in on the flop. He did this to me twice. The 2nd time I had KK and I raised he called with A 5 and hit an Ace. How does he know his Ace is good ?

edge
02-25-2005, 06:03 PM
If you're going to play without looking at your cards, you have to be aggressive. Calling the flop and turn is no good.

Your opponents aren't thinking. They don't "know" that their A-rags are good sometimes; they will call you down against your AK as well. Stop assuming you're playing against good players, because to be honest, I haven't seen a single player on Party (up to 100NL) that I had to watch out for, and I've played thousands of hands (although much less than most players). Good players don't exist at your level.

wbrumfiel
02-25-2005, 06:03 PM
Might want to post your starting cards.

theredpill5
02-25-2005, 06:06 PM
ok...woops... I fixed it

Benal
02-25-2005, 06:11 PM
You should be the aggessor in this hand, not the other way around.

cookperson
02-25-2005, 06:15 PM
Why would you raise this pre-flop in the small blind?

TakeMeToTheRiver
02-25-2005, 06:20 PM
My general comment would be to not loosen your raising standards from the SB -- do it from LP.

Edit: And somebody just beat me to it.

kurto
02-25-2005, 06:26 PM
Listen to yourself, (IRONY ALERT) "CO calls (he always calls and always seems to have an ace whenever I raise) ....poor player and a calling station" The flop has an ace and a queen. You can't beat anything on the board on the river. He raises your flop bet. He bets $11 on the river... (btw.. calling stations don't reraise and bet on the river) you have nothing... so you call?!?!? "....poor player and a calling station" Yet you called an all in bet with nothing. See the irony?

I suspect this is a contradiction as well-- "Lately, I've been getting too much respect at the tables" "I think I'm too predictable."

You're not getting too much respect. They called your all in bet with TP 5 kicker. They're playing you perfectly.

"How does he know his Ace is good ?" He probably had you preflop firmly on a high pocket pair. He may know you make plays like the one you did here? But... you just said you're too predictable. If you're right, of COURSE they know their ace is good.

BTW... if someone saw you going all in with pocket kings on the flop with an ace on the board... they'd be foolish not to call you with decent hands down the road.

kurto
02-25-2005, 06:32 PM
I think everyone's missing the most basic general comment. Don't bet into a calling station with nothing.

And if the so called 'calling station' is betting into you... get the hell out.

Only TRP can label someone who's betting and raising 'a poor player and a calling station'... call him down with NOTHING, double the guy up.... and then ask if he made a good play. It's gotta be an elaborate joke.

theredpill5
02-25-2005, 06:37 PM
it isn't a joke. I lost $20 on the play. I realize this was a dumb move. Frustration.

BTW, I don't go all-in on the flop with pocket kings with an ace on the board. I do bet the pot or close to it. I think I should stop that, too since there is no shaking these guys off of their aces.

tbach24
02-25-2005, 06:45 PM
1. When lowering your raising standards, use mid SCs as opposed to marginal holdings.
2. Get youre money in on the flop, you're likely a favorite.
3. When they play A5 they dont think of the reprocussions of having a bad kicker.
4. Keep posting, it's always fun to read.

kurto
02-25-2005, 06:49 PM
"it isn't a joke." So... you just don't think before you write? Have you ever reread your posts and realized how ridiculous you sound?

You titled this, "Do you like how I played this." Now you say, "I realize this was a dumb move. Frustration."

Are you saying you knew it was a dumb move yet you posted it anyways asking everyone if they liked your play? Or are you saying you honestly didn't know until people told you that it was dumb?

When you post things like, "he's a calling station" then proceed to tell us how he reraises you and bets into you... you don't see the contradiction?

On reflection, you don't see why it might seem like a joke that you call someone a 'calling station' then call their all in bet on the river with NOTHING?

Earlier today, you were beat by one woman player and then decided that all women play the same way?!? Can you see why people might think you're just a parody? I'm genuinely curious. Do you have any idea what I'm saying?

(btw.. did you stop to consider that online, you don't really know who's a he and who's a she?)

tbach24
02-25-2005, 06:50 PM
Obviously you can't shake a guy off their ace or poker wouldn't be profitable. When you do a follow up bet, just make is smaller. Go 1/2 pot, they won't notice the difference and they still will fold all non-top-paired (or better) and non-drawing hands.

kurto
02-25-2005, 06:53 PM
If he's only going to bet 1/2 pot when he misses... he needs to also bet 1/2 pot when he hits.

He's already stated that he's too predictable. You don't want his bet to become an easy tell. "he bet 1/2 pot... he missed." "oh, he's betting the pot this time, clearly he made it and I can safely fold."

tbach24
02-25-2005, 06:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If he's only going to bet 1/2 pot when he misses... he needs to also bet 1/2 pot when he hits.

[/ QUOTE ]

While this is true in a legit game, at your average online game, this isn't necesarrily true. Players often aren't paying much attention to what's going on. For example, I have a friend who NEVER bluffs, yet he always gets paid off on his sets.

As for TRP's being predictable, he's just being a ROM. He's just not getting the matchups he wants, or not taking advantage of them properly (my guess is that it's the latter).

kurto
02-25-2005, 07:04 PM
"While this is true in a legit game, at your average online game, this isn't necesarrily true. Players often aren't paying much attention to what's going on." You are overgeneralizing. I know they're both small stakes, but I've noticed a marked difference in player awareness in $25 to $50 NL tables on Pokerstars. Granted, you can still find really bad tables, but there is definitely less players seeing the flop, trickier, observant players.

And I figure if I notice things, other people might too. I notice who minraises if they're on a draw, who overbets with large pocket pairs, etc. I refuse to believe I'm the only person paying attention.

Though the play is often terrible, you can also make a mistake of underestimating everyone at the table (unless you have reads/notes on every player at the table.)

This has come to mind lately because at the $50 table... I noticed if I'm card dead for awhile and open raise, I get no action. I concluded they noticed I was a little rockish.

theredpill5
02-25-2005, 07:16 PM
ok maybe he wasn't a calling station. It was a genuine post. Why would I type up a post that had no meaning to it ?

I'm sorry if I offended you with my comments about females. I know a lot of guys who act dumb and tell people that I think that guy is dumb. What's wrong with thinking that woman is dumb ?

A few professional poker players on TV have stated that women often play poker overly aggressive and I was pointing out that this seems to be one of those instances.

kurto
02-25-2005, 07:38 PM
"Why would I type up a post that had no meaning to it?" You clearly like attention.

"I'm sorry if I offended you with my comments about females." Offend is strong. Its so ridiculous, I have trouble taking it seriously enough to take offense.

"What's wrong with thinking that woman is dumb?" Thinking one woman is dumb is fine. But you came across one woman who you thought was dumb and concluded that most women play that way. That, sir, is laughably dumb. (which again... leads me to conclude that your posts are a joke.)

Back to this... "Why would I type up a post that had no meaning to it?" You tell me. You doubled a guy up with nothing. You called a riverbet after he reraised you on the turn with NOTHING. So you proceed to write it up and then you ask everyone what they thought of your play. You just admitted it was dumb. Why are you posting a hand you know you played dumb and then asking everyone how you did?

I can't for the life of me imagine why you would post the ridiculous things you do. Unless you genuinely have no ability to self-reflect?!

By the way... in all seriousness, if you thought about your posts instead of just ranting, you'd realize why you're not a strong poker player. You don't THINK.. you just spew. Period.

Listen to yourself. You said you know the guy calls with any ace. An ace falls on the flop. You bet, he reraises you. YOU already doubled him up with an A5. Do you think he has an ace? So when he bets on the river... and you know he has an ace, do you call with King high? Not unless you're a complete fish calling station.

You constantly berate your opponents (the guy in this hand who you doubled up with NOTHING and the woman who bet you out of pot) while never acknowledging to yourself that you're playing worse then they are. Better to insult them then to take responsibility for your own bad play.

Then you post it on the forum and ask, "Did I play this right". You explain why you asked everyone how you did when you know it was dumb.

theredpill5
02-25-2005, 08:08 PM
These events actually happened.

I was a 47 % to 52 % dog with the KT suited vs A 9 o matchup on the flop. I knew that when the flop hit so it wasn't entirely clear which action to take. 50/50 basically. I guess I shouldn't put all my chips on the line with just 50 /50 but I had a royal flush draw.

You keep saying that I called a bet on the river but I clearly didn't. He was all-in on the turn.