PDA

View Full Version : KK in live tournament

dfscott
02-25-2005, 05:34 PM
Live single-table tourney. Lots of loose players. Multiple rebuys, so lots of chips, but the rebuy period is over by this point. Pays to 4th.

BB is very loose and will call all-ins with trash. He can't stand to see it checked around so he nearly always bets if it's checked to him. However, he rarely comes over the top of anyone. Also, he almost always raises pre-flop if it hasn't been already.

Blinds are 100/200 (live game, so stack sizes are guesstimates).

Hero (t2500)
MP (t4000)
CO (t800)
Button (t1000)
SB (t2500)
BB (t5000)

Cards have been ice cold -- I haven't played hardly any hands at all.

I get K/images/graemlins/diamond.gifK/images/graemlins/spade.gif UTG and open-raise for 600. Folded to the BB who calls.

Flop comes A/images/graemlins/club.gifT/images/graemlins/diamond.gif7/images/graemlins/heart.gif (Pot is 1300)

BB bets 1000, I fold.

Thoughts?

dfscott
02-25-2005, 09:35 PM
No thoughts here?

I agonized for a long time before folding. I kept trying to get a read on BB, but never could. I'm starting to think that maybe he's a better player than he pretends to be. He just started coming 3 weeks ago and has won twice and finished 2nd once.

(Had to write something so this wouldn't be just a shameless bump.)

Pokerscott
02-25-2005, 10:01 PM
Don't confuse a good preflop hand with a good postflop hand /images/graemlins/smile.gif

He called a 3xBB bet and bet out against the preflop raiser when an A hit the board. He might be BSing, but without a strong read you have to fold...

Pokerscott

ReDeYES88
02-25-2005, 10:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BB is very loose and will call all-ins with trash. He can't stand to see it checked around so he nearly always bets if it's checked to him. However, he rarely comes over the top of anyone. Also, he almost always raises pre-flop if it hasn't been already.

[/ QUOTE ]

As much as it makes me cringe to say it, this almost sounds like the rare recipe to limp KK UTG and push to the raise that will probably happen. The big stack is a loose caller who doesn't like to let a cold pot stay cold, and he has loose calling standards. Gimmie.

Another strategy
You are ahead 70-30 to AK (or any Ax combo)and only dominated by AA provided that you see the river.

You could have made a PF bet that committed you to the pot. If you just win the blinds, so be it. If the BB is as loose as you say, then why not overbet instead of a "standard" 3x BB lead?

Played out the way it was and if I'm faced with only the decision on the flop, the weak/tight side of me takes over and I let the hand go with t1900 remaining (probably carved down to t1600 after the blinds pass through in the next two hands) and still in 4th place.

I will proceed with caution from this point onwards, because I was just seen raising UTG and mucking to an A flop. Things may get rocky in the future.

pokerlaw
02-25-2005, 10:55 PM
i limp in that situation also. the fact taht he almost always raises the pot if you were to limp is the perfect opportunity to limp and then push when he pops up his reraise.