PDA

View Full Version : How do you deal with people who don't understand poker?

Dead
02-25-2005, 04:06 PM
Some of my friends constantly nitpick me for playing all the time, especially online. They don't understand how I can sit for 4 or 5 hours straight at my computer, playing on PokerStars.

They think it's lame. I don't. I think it's awesome.

Anyone else have this problem?

toots
02-25-2005, 04:10 PM
It could be lamely awesome.

For the life of me, I can't figure out how people can sit in front of a TV for 4-5 hours, watching some steroid clones fight over a ball. I think it's kinda lame (at best), but I doubt that I'll ever convince anyone else of that.

To each his own. And that includes holding one's own opinion.

Tacjedi
02-25-2005, 04:55 PM
The key is to play so much poker that the only people you have to deal with understand poker. Once your only friends are people on 2+2 you won’t have any problems.

Dead
02-25-2005, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Once your only friends are people on 2+2 you won’t have any problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

I value my 2+2 friends but I don't want that. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

NiceCatch
02-25-2005, 08:34 PM
Find out what your friend's goofy hobbies are, then rag on them about that. Trust me, it'll solve your problem. The above "sports-fan" example works, however from the sound of it, your friends probably aren't sports fans...

skoal2k4
02-25-2005, 08:37 PM
There is no way to make them understand. They either get why you do it or they don't.

bdk3clash
02-26-2005, 12:40 AM
This is a big pet peeve of mine--not just for people that rag on poker playing, but for people that say things like "He must have a lot of free time" and stuff like that.

Everyone has their own hobbies and "wastes of time," and however someone chooses to spend their time is their own damn business and people should refrain from judgement until they know what's going on with the other person, which they never, ever do.

The intricacies of poker are hard to convey to non-players, and a lot of the more subtle (and no-so-subtle) aspects of the game are lost upon them.

As someone else said, to each his own.

Wally Weeks
02-26-2005, 05:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Some of my friends constantly nitpick me for playing all the time, especially online. They don't understand how I can sit for 4 or 5 hours straight at my computer, playing on PokerStars.

[/ QUOTE ]

The next time someone tries to make fun of your poker playing explain to them a poker strategy in full detail (e.g. the free card play, semi-bluffing, etc.). Since they don't play, they'll get so bored (or mad) that they'll never bring it up again. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

One of my friends that I used to work with did that to me. I found it irritating at first but after awhile it sparked my interest. He wouldn't tell me about a specific strategy per se, but he would yack my ear off about poker whenever I would mention it.

Regards,
Wally

RydenStoompala
02-26-2005, 09:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Only when I'm awake. My friends who are good players and love the game get it. Others don't. I do not care. To each his own. One of my friends plays with model trains and people laugh at him. I think that investing $20 k in tiny trains is a little odd, but he loves it and I have to admit the guy's basement has one of the coolest train sets I've ever seen. He bought his house based upon the specs for the layout of the track! At least he's not dressing in diapers and hiring one-armed German hookers to beat him with a whip. I mean, compared to a Poker Jones, some passtimes are really out there. To each his own.

chesspain
02-26-2005, 09:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
At least he's not dressing in diapers and hiring one-armed German hookers to beat him with a whip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't those former Nazi mistresses pretty old by now?

Bluffoon
02-26-2005, 10:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you care what they think of your hobby? And why are they bugging you about it? Maybe you need to find less controlling friends.

Loci
02-26-2005, 12:30 PM
In most cases, all of the statistical data, records of overall wins and losses, and other evidence that poker is nothing more than a gambling addiction will only convince them further that you have a problem. It's the other side of the people that think that after watching rounders for the fifth time that they should quit their job because they know all there is to know.
If they don't want to listen, they're not going to. When I get that feeling about a person's opinion, I just don't bother trying to.
Ez

cnfuzzd
02-26-2005, 01:50 PM
usually i take their money...

peace

john nickle

Dead
02-26-2005, 10:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
usually i take their money...

peace

john nickle

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice hand.

Left it wide upon for that one with the topic wording.

Dead
02-26-2005, 10:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a big pet peeve of mine--not just for people that rag on poker playing, but for people that say things like "He must have a lot of free time" and stuff like that.

Everyone has their own hobbies and "wastes of time," and however someone chooses to spend their time is their own damn business and people should refrain from judgement until they know what's going on with the other person, which they never, ever do.

The intricacies of poker are hard to convey to non-players, and a lot of the more subtle (and no-so-subtle) aspects of the game are lost upon them.

As someone else said, to each his own.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great post.

Thanks.

Los Feliz Slim
02-27-2005, 09:17 PM
You think your friends nitpick about it, wait until you get married /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Bill C
02-27-2005, 09:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There is no way to make them understand. They either get why you do it or they don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen to this.
If they don't know why you like it, they'll never understand. You're better off letting it slide with them.

bill

mike3076
02-28-2005, 08:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen to this.
If they don't know why you like it, they'll never understand. You're better off letting it slide with them.

bill

[/ QUOTE ]AND IF THEY STILL DONT UNDERSTAND,TELL THEM THE TRUTH-YOU ARE ADDICTED TO GAMBILING,BUT YOU CHOSE POKER FOR YOUR ADDICTION BECAUSE YOUR MONEY LASTS LONGER AND HEY-ITS ON TV!

SenecaJim
02-28-2005, 10:04 AM
Amen brother. My wife seems to understand it better after a night of big winning, but seems to have trouble with understanding that there are losing nights as well. Though I am not too rought on her as some posters here seem to be the same way.

Bill C
02-28-2005, 10:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

AND IF THEY STILL DONT UNDERSTAND,TELL THEM THE TRUTH-YOU ARE ADDICTED TO GAMBILING,BUT YOU CHOSE POKER FOR YOUR ADDICTION BECAUSE YOUR MONEY LASTS LONGER AND HEY-ITS ON TV!

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I'm not addicted to poker. I like poker.
I AM addicted to peanutbutter, however! (Jif Creamy) /images/graemlins/cool.gif

bill

jar
02-28-2005, 02:38 PM
You could try what Daniel Negreanu (I think) did when he had that problem with his mother. He would fudge his short term results to her to smooth out the swings. Lucky for me, my girlfriend plays, so she understands how it goes.

BIGRED
02-28-2005, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They think a profitable hobby is lame? I'm assuming you make a decent sum from online poker. Maybe they're just jealous.

Dead
02-28-2005, 06:25 PM
Haha no profitable sum for me yet.

I'm just working at the nanolimits. Someday, though... I will be able to use poker as an income supplement to my job.

sirtimo
02-28-2005, 06:41 PM
[quote
No. I'm not addicted to poker. I like poker.
bill

[/ QUOTE ]

I like pokha.... Pokha is nice... /images/graemlins/cool.gif

regards,
Tim

Kenrick
03-04-2005, 05:32 AM
I find myself not associating with people like that. Or, at least, not mentioning poker to them at all. There is no reason to mention a subject to someone if they won't comprehend it.

tomdemaine
03-04-2005, 09:46 AM
just show them the logs of all the cash outs you've made then take them out for a beer with your poker winnings. They'll soon stop ragging on you /images/graemlins/smile.gif

brokedickrooster
03-04-2005, 10:49 AM
Pokah bin bedy bedy good to me.